Running everything at stock speed - Does choice of chipset matter?

MadBadger

n00b
Hi everyone,

I'm working on my 1st build (a C2D system) and the last big decision that I have to make is which processor and motherboard to go with. I'll be using the system for photo editing, gaming and watching TV. I want this system to last, so I don't plan on overclocking anything.

I don't need expandability, so the majority of the cheaper 965 boards suit me quite well. But, I don't know much about the differences between the 965 and 975 chipsets.

For what I plan on using my system for and when overclocking isn't an issue, which is the superior option?

1) E6600 with a 965 board
2) E6400 with a 965 board
3) E6400 with a 975 board
4) Doesn't matter - please elaborate

Note: I can afford any of the above combinations, so I'm only interested in the combination that offers the greatest performance

Cheers!

At stock speeds the main difference will be features. Especially if you are going to use a single video card. The P965 Express chipset is really the way to go for Core 2 Duo if that's the case. It's a newer design than the i975x chipsets. The reason why the i975x chipsets are so popular is because they typically have a dual x8 PCIe slot configuration as opposed to the x16, x1, or x16, x4 configuration of the P965 boards.

Yes chipset does matter. Intel chipsets are some of the most stable and highest quality in the world. Not to mention the drivers are considerably better than anything else out there.

The general rule of thumb is it is best to run Intel processors with Intel chipsets. Few people would disagree with that statement either.

The SIS and VIA chipsets are junk in my opinion, and the nVidia chipsets that are out now run too hot and many people have experienced driver problems with them. I haven't experienced the latter, but the heat issues and poor overclocking performance are a reality. I know you said overclocking doesn't matter to you, but the heat issues are a valid concern.

The ATi chipsets perform as well as the nVidia chipsets, but they run much cooler, though the south bridges are always behind the times and therefore they aren't the most feature rich chipsets. At the time of this post, I do not believe you can get an ATi chipset based board for Core 2 Duo right now either, but they have made Intel compatible chipsets in the past.

You should also check out the Intel Core 2 Duo motherboard chipset compatibility FAQ that I am working on here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1106040

Get a 6300 + DS3 + any DDR2 800
cheap processor + cheap mobo + decent ram

I KNOW you said you're not interested in overclocking anything, but TRUST ME all Core 2 processors hit around 3Ghz+ or - a little.

ANY 6300 should hit 2.8Ghz perfectly stable, if you've got ddr2 800 and have half a brain.

You'll get 1Ghz more of power (x 2 cores)!! DO IT, you wont regret it!! At least try it and you'll see overclocked doesn't mean unstable..... its only unstable if you try pushing too far, and its easy to test for that with Prime95/ Orthos.

Dan_D - Wow, that was exactly what I was looking for; you're good! :D

Since I plan on going with a single GPU it looks like my choice is simple, 965, thanks!

chrisf6969 - Ok, you convinced me, I'll try overclocking a bit. I don't have ddr2 800 memory though. I jumped in on a sale this past weekend for 2 Gb CAS 4 667 memory (Corsair). I read that it's able to overclock to 440 Mhz reliably, but I'm paranoid about overclocking :(.

What do you guys think about this plan:

I'll go with an E6600 and a 965 board, then I'll overclock the FSB to 333 Mhz.

This way I'll keep the overclocking minimal, maintain a 1:1 ratio with my memory, and be running close to 3 Ghz.

That sounds pretty good to me! But then again, I'm just a rookie.

p.s. I was thinking of going with this Intel motherboard; it's cheap, supports RAID, and is meant to be used for an HTPC which is what I might turn this build into after my next upgrade)

The Intel board is fine, but you won't be able to overclock that much with that board. Intel frowns on that. You can do it with the D975XBX, but none of the others. They do have a burn in mode, which offers you only the most limited of OC'ing options.

Additionally, I'd recommend the P5B Deluxe. Great overclocker, very high quality. It also seems to get better and better as newer BIOSes come out for it.

Also, I wouldn't worry about keeping a 1:1 memory ratio. It isn't necessary like it is with an Athlon XP and older CPU's.

The memory bus on a Core 2 Duo system is usually not 1:1 anyway. With newer boards supporting DDR2 800, memory speeds aren't going to be 1:1 anyway.

Sweet, thanks for the terrific feedback. I think I'm good to go.

Can't wait to put this thing together :D

Dan_D said:
Also, I wouldn't worry about keeping a 1:1 memory ratio. It isn't necessary like it is with an Athlon 64.

I hope you mean Athlon XP ;). A64 doesn't suffer from performance hits due to asynchronous FSB and memory clocks.

MadBadger said:
chrisf6969 - Ok, you convinced me, I'll try overclocking a bit. I don't have ddr2 800 memory though. I jumped in on a sale this past weekend for 2 Gb CAS 4 667 memory (Corsair). I read that it's able to overclock to 440 Mhz reliably, but I'm paranoid about overclocking :(.

That sounds pretty good to me! But then again, I'm just a rookie.

p.s. I was thinking of going with this Intel motherboard; it's cheap, supports RAID, and is meant to be used for an HTPC which is what I might turn this build into after my next upgrade)

Its a full ATX motherboard, if you're looking for something to possibly use for an HTPC next time around your might want a MicroATX (smaller) motherboard like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121051
But no chance for overclocking, which would be wasted on a Core2 processor with SO MUCH overhead.

So, I'd REALLY recommend the Gigabyte 965P DS3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128012
Best bang for buck

Zoogle said:
I hope you mean Athlon XP ;). A64 doesn't suffer from performance hits due to asynchronous FSB and memory clocks.

Yes.

Back