Running fan at 100%?

CptTrips

Weaksauce
Is it bad to manually run the video card fan at 100%? If I don't do that on my x1900xt, the temp rises and I get bad artifacting, but I don't know if running the fan full speed is good for it... It's loud, but I don't care, I wear headphones.

My x1800xt intake gets clogged with dust really fast running it at 100% or even 70%. Have you tried reseatting your heatsink and making sure it's making good contact because it shouldn't artifact at all above 50% fan speed.

I do not belive you'll run into anymore problems by running it at 100%. That's the speed it's designed for and then it's throttled down by software.

it can shorten the lifespan of the FAN. but would you rather have the fan or the card die sooner? you can always throw out $30 and buy a new hs.

What temps are we talking about?
Does it artifact when the fan is set on auto?
Have you checked the fan/heatsink for dust?

If the fan/heatsink is clean of dust the card should work correctly with the fan on auto, if you still get artifacts you should have a talk with the store you bought it from or the manufacturer of the card.

What temps are we talking about?
Does it artifact when the fan is set on auto?
Have you checked the fan/heatsink for dust?

If the fan/heatsink is clean of dust the card should work correctly with the fan on auto, if you still get artifacts you should have a talk with the store you bought it from or the manufacturer of the card.

Idle temp is around 55°, ingames it'll get up to around 80°. At one point in a game, some major artifacting was occuring, and the whole OS crashed with a blue screen of death error. All this occurred with the fan on auto.

I've checked the fan for the video card and the entire computer and cleared it entirely of dust. I started noticing very minor artifacting in BF2142, GRAW, and Oblivion a few weeks ago, (when before these games ran without any graphical anomalies) but then while playing STALKER the past few days, it has really started getting bad. I DLed ATI tray tools, jacked the fan to 100%, and recently, 72% and no artifacting occurs at all. Temps average about 62-64°.

I seriously hope it's not a physical problem with the card, as I bought it from newegg back in September and I don't think there's a warranty on it....

If you are running the fan on auto those temps are perfectly normal and the card should work perfectly.

If you have those problems I'm afraid you got a bad card. Time for a RMA I belive.:(

rma it :)
my 1950 pro can go up to 85c without artifacting 50c idle
untitled.JPG

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating....I took a fan from an early 80s PC-XT power supply and began using it as a secondary fan in my case....This fan is over 20 years old and still going strong (and of course, it runs at 100%)....Your video card will be outdated and replaced long before the fan would go out. So keep running it at 100%! The only thing you save by slowing down the fan is your ears....The faster you can run it, the better.

it can shorten the lifespan of the FAN. but would you rather have the fan or the card die sooner? you can always throw out $30 and buy a new hs.

But what happens when the fan goes out because you run it @ 100% all the time? Your card will go too.

Hmmm....

Set the fan profile so it gradually ramps up. Mine doesn't hit 100% until the temp exceeds 85C which isn't often. Stalker seems to work my videocard more than anything else.

I run my sapphire ultimates vf900 gpu heatsink fan at 100% and my temps are down to 48c at full GPU load, if case fans and so on can last 2-3 years at full speed (if not longer) what makes you think gpu heatsink fans are any different? and If it fails, hopefully your not too dumb to realize the symptoms, and replace it. GPU's can take alot of heat past there limit without failing, so if you notice artifacts for no reason then maybe you should check your shit.

Only fan ive ever had die on me was the chipset fan off my first dfi LP nf4 SLi-d, and It was loud as fuck for about 3 weeks before it died, and the temps only went up for 4c after the fan died, so I didn't really care.

But what happens when the fan goes out because you run it @ 100% all the time? Your card will go too.

Hmmm....

well usually u wont continue to use your comp with a dead fan on your gfx card.
the card doesnt die instantly, u usually the comp will restart.

when i was reseating my cpu hs i didnt seat it correctly so i was at 100C and my comp forced a restart.

my 8800GTS has gone past 90C without artifacting in that ati artifact scan.

Back