Running into Computer Stability Problems

FiZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I consider myself to be somewhat computer knowledgable but I cannot solve this problem. My computer is in my sig. The issue is that when I run Prime95 it will give me an error after 6 or so hours of the torture test, but other times I have run it for over 24 hours without issue (not changing any settings in the BIOS or overclocking). I have used Memtest86 on all 4 sticks of Corsair RAM and on each individual but I have not got one error on any of the sticks. As I mentioned before I am not overclocking anything. I have my RAM running at its rated timings. My Athlon 64 4000+ runs around 27C idle and around 44C under load, so I don't believe it is a heat issue.

I have reseated RAM sticks, switched them between slots and reseated the heatsink on my processor. I am at a loss as I have tried everything. The only thing that I can't test firsthand is the motherboard, which I am leaning towards as the source of the problem. I also don't like the idea of running 4 seperate sticks of RAM so I may purchase 2 1GB sticks to see if it is a compatibility problem, but in all honesty there shouldn't be a problem running 4 sticks of identical RAM.

Help :( .

Ah knew I would leave something out. It is an Enermax EG465P-VE 24P 460W. I have checked the rails and they are stable as a rock, but now that you brought it up I am going to run Prime again while looking at my rails to be sure.

Is it only this error in Prime or do you get other errors ?

It could be something the chipset/mosfets/ram/? warms up when running Prime and above a point/temp, gives you the error.
To test this try running Prime with the case side off and a room fan blowing in.

Luck.......... :D

Tigerbiten said:
Is it only this error in Prime or do you get other errors ?

It could be something the chipset/mosfets/ram/? warms up when running Prime and above a point/temp, gives you the error.
To test this try running Prime with the case side off and a room fan blowing in.

Luck.......... :D
I don't get any other errors, just occasional hard locks. The weird thing is I have been able to run Prime for over 24 hours without the error, sometimes I can only run it 3 or 4 hours, or anywhere inbetween. I have tried with the case off but in all honesty my temperatures don't change as the airflow in my case is pretty good (sounds like a goddamn jet but I can live with that). Still run into the same problems with the case off and a small fan blowing on them.

FiZ said:
Ah knew I would leave something out. It is an Enermax EG465P-VE 24P 460W. I have checked the rails and they are stable as a rock, but now that you brought it up I am going to run Prime again while looking at my rails to be sure.

And you did use a multimeter to measure voltages on each rail...? hmm.. maybe your problem is software related.. dunno.. I don't like software related problems :p

Did you just build this computer? Have you double checked all the BIOS settings, such as voltages, speeds, ect.

Matrox462 said:
Did you just build this computer? Have you double checked all the BIOS settings, such as voltages, speeds, ect.
I built it about 3 months ago. I have checked BIOS settings back and forth about 3,000 times, reset the CMOS various times, etc.
TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
And you did use a multimeter to measure voltages on each rail...? hmm.. maybe your problem is software related.. dunno.. I don't like software related problems
Yes, but I am going to retest while running prime with my multimeter just to be sure.

Well I retested my PSU voltages with my multimeter and they still aren't budging, not even by a millivolt under load.

i suggest you get ghostbusters as it seems like your computer is possessed :p

have you try doing bench mark loops with your vid card? or test out your harddrives?? If your memories are fine and you can run Prime, try checking your harddrive(s) and vid card.

Zidoas said:
i suggest you get ghostbusters as it seems like your computer is possessed :p

have you try doing bench mark loops with your vid card? or test out your harddrives?? If your memories are fine and you can run Prime, try checking your harddrive(s) and vid card.
Yeah I am at a complete loss. I have looped with my video card, and even replaced it as I originally thought it was the culprit. I have also tested my hd's and recently got a 74GB Raptor as a boot drive and it hasn't alleviated the problem.

well that pretty much narrows it down to the motherboard... if anything RMA it if you still can and see if that fixes the problem.

Have you try removing your sound card or any other non-essential peripheral?

Zidoas said:
well that pretty much narrows it down to the motherboard... if anything RMA it if you still can and see if that fixes the problem.

Have you try removing your sound card or any other non-essential peripheral?
Yup. I am just afraid that I will have the same issue with a new board, but at least someone other than me has come to the same conclusion.

Well I ordered a new motherboard, an ASUS A8N-E. I will RMA this ABIT if the new motherboard fixes the problem - then throw it up on the for sale/trade forum.

Back