Running out of ideas - i7 / 4870 Grrr

Inglix_the_Mad

Limp Gawd
Okay my wife and I have 2 new machines for playing games and work.

The two giving me a headache today are the new i7 (just 920's), P6T, 6GB x3 channel (1.5v, cert), dual (mirrored) 750GB (Seagate "Enterprise"), Lite-On SATA DVDRW, both with 4870 1GB (Asus EAH4870 DK) which seemed to be a popular card powered by a PC P&C 610w in a Cent 534 case.

I can't get the f*cking thing to load Vista 64 Ultimate on either box with the those video cards. I can take my old 8800GTS from the kid's machines and it'll load, but then (weirdly) crash as soon as I put back in the 4870.

It's got to be some hardware compatibility thing (the wdm drivers aren't even loaded yet, at least not by human hands), and an odd one at that.

Any ideas?

Those 4870 1GB video cards might be defective considering that the 8800GTS works just fine.

But just out of curiosity, is your copy of Vista Ult 64bit with SP1 or without?

Those 4870 1GB video cards might be defective considering that the 8800GTS works just fine.

But just out of curiosity, is your copy of Vista Ult 64bit with SP1 or without?

Well I took the cards back to where I bought them (local vendor) and they (nicely) tossed them into a game demo machine they have (e8400, 4gb, vista 64, P5N) and one worked, one didn't (they're sending the defective one back and getting me a new one) but I still have the same blue screen / restart. I bought a new PS as a test, same scenario.

Yes it is Vista 64 Ultimate SP1.

hmm thats a weird problem, when did this start happening? maybe you didnt install your chipset drivers properly?

I had a similar problem...but with a 4850...I would get a blue screen as soon as the computer tried to show the login screen for Vista Ultimate (both 32bit and 64bit had the same problem), iti would blue screen, then it would restart, try to load login, blue screen, restart.....endless cycle (this happened after I installed the drivers for the card....lol!). This is on a Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 board with E6600.

Then I put in my 8800 GTS 320 and it worked after I reimaged the machine again, but I didn't try putting back in my 4850 card to see if it worked now, I just put the 4850 on a machine that had Vista (Enterprise 32bit, not Vista Ultimate 64bit). It worked fine when I loaded the drivers for it.

It might be trying to set the screen resolution/refresh rate to one that is not supported by your monitor....I never could figure it out.

"Good" and "sufficient" are two very different things. Just because it produces good power doesn't mean it will produce enough of it.

Back