RV870 (Redwood) should be around 300mm2

Cant wait for some pixel pushing with these next gen DX11 parts. Already budgeting for one in the next few months as I have been itching for some new GPU hardware for sure and AMD has the lotion for my itch with new chips.

Good luck seeing any games pushing DX11 though with the console-centric DX9 game development these days. Not to mention the masses still clinging to Windows XP...

I would love to be proven wrong though...

This is going to be one powerful card. And it needs to be because this must last them atleast a year and likely longer before they can get out the 6 series.

Tho I fear sales wont be extreme at first due to high prices. They are going to want to drive people to clear out stocks of the 4 series first.

Good luck seeing any games pushing DX11 though with the console-centric DX9 game development these days. Not to mention the masses still clinging to Windows XP...

I would love to be proven wrong though...

with windows 7 release.. id expect atleast 50% of the people still using XP will move to windows 7 by the end of the year.. im a huge vista hater and i plan to make the switch full time to windows 7 in october.. been running it on my old athlon xp-m 2400+ laptop since the original beta came out..

with windows 7 release.. id expect atleast 50% of the people still using XP will move to windows 7 by the end of the year

I dont think Vista SP3 (Win 7) is going to be that huge :rolleyes:
You might want to think about adding another 2Gb of RAM to that system...no wonder Vista ran like shit for you. I switched from XP x86 sp3 to Vista x64 Ultimate and never been happier.

Also

http://en.expreview.com/2009/08/14/rv870-to-boast-384-bit-memory-interface.html#more-4767

According to a recent post at Hardware-infos, AMD’s DirectX 11 chip is coming with a 384-bit memory interface.

This could be very possible, as RV870 is said to have twice the computing power than RV770. AMD will use GDDR5 memory on their top cards, which runs faster than 1.25GHz, so the maximum memory bandwidth should reach 240GB/s.

The source has confirmed that a pre-launch would be held on September 10th, and the price is expected to be between $249 and $399.

You might want to think about adding another 2Gb of RAM to that system...no wonder Vista ran like shit for you. I switched from XP x86 sp3 to Vista x64 Ultimate and never been happier.

Same, I admittedly have been using W7 a lot more than vista just to be able to answer questions about 7 at my day job. But you're right, all W7 is is vista with a makeover.

Same, I admittedly have been using W7 a lot more than vista just to be able to answer questions about 7 at my day job. But you're right, all W7 is is vista with a makeover.

Win 7 is more then just Vista with a make over, there are enough significant changes and improvements on the OS level =)

People who hate vista are doing something wrong.

I am a simple person and the only thing I can definately say I like about win7 is the snap to function, so much easier to get two firefox windows on screen at the same time with none of that resizing windows rubbish.

Oh and what is this obsession about the chip size anyway.

Back