Ryzen prices out, looks pretty competitive

Devilpup

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw this on Ars and hadn't seen it here yet:

"The top-end part is the R7 1800X. This $499 chip will have a 3.6GHz base speed and a 4.0GHz boost speed, with a 95W TDP. AMD is positioning it against Intel's i7-6900K, a $1,050 processor using the Broadwell-E core running at 3.2 GHz, and turboing up to 3.7GHz.

The other two parts are the R7 1700X, a $399 part with a base of 3.4GHz and a boost of 3.8GHz; and the R7 1700, with clocks of 3.0 and 3.7GHz, selling for $329. AMD is positioning these against the $439 Intel Core i7-6800K (a six-core, 12-thread part) and $349 Core i7-7700K, respectively."

The article also claims IPC is up by >50%, which would make it still lag behind the Intel offerings in non multi-threaded applications, especially given the clock difference. These are full 8c/16t parts though.

Updated working links for Newegg.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/02/22/dont_be_pussy_preorder_amd_ryzen_today_starts_at_1et

Last edited by a moderator:
From AMDs own CB15 bench, it seems to suggest that:
4.1Ghz Ryzen matches Broadwell-E at 3.7Ghz in ST
3.9Ghz Ryzen matches Broadwell-E at 3.5Ghz in MT

That's assuming 100Mhz XFR.

I want to love Ryzen.. I really do. But at these prices I see a 6800/6850 build in my future. I just like the X99 platform more, and the price difference just isn't large enough to sway me

I've been on 1366 for, well, EVER. I didn't expect AMD to get to this point, but i was hoping.

In the past I've bought a few CPU's based upon epeen, but mostly tried to do performance on a budget by overclocking the hell out of whatever CPU I had. I would LOVE to see overclocking results come march 2nd. This year I might just jump not only from 1366 to a different socket, but 1366 to different company's platform all together (Ryzen). Depending upon Vega, it might be an all-AMD system too.

Welcome back AMD. Let the good times roll?

I'm curious if all of these cpus will be unlocked. Also wonder if AMD will have another situation where additional cores can be unlocked similar to the Phenom II days. I'm thinking about buying one of the 6 core models depending on price and hell if they unlock i'll just get a 4 core :)

I'm curious if all of these cpus will be unlocked. Also wonder if AMD will have another situation where additional cores can be unlocked similar to the Phenom II days. I'm thinking about buying one of the 6 core models depending on price and hell if they unlock i'll just get a 4 core :)

the 4c/8t is all i need but for $50 more it feels like the six core will have more longevity...

AMD has said before that all Ryzen CPU's are unlocked, the only difference is the "X" CPU's have the extended frequency range stuff (higher boost with better cooling)

Looks like I'm going AMD this time. Haven't built myself a computer in 8 years. Exciting stuff! Built my current computer in 2009 with i7 930.

Back