S-IPS 22" or 24" LCDs in the near future?

makots

n00b
Just curious is any manufacturer planning to release a S-IPS 22 or 24 inch LCD this year or in the near future? It seems they need to upgrade their model lines from the usual TN panels out there.

NEC is releasing a 24" that I think is S-IPS. I doubt there would be a 22" S-IPS since it has the resolution of a 20" panel but expanded. S-IPS is used for hihger quality image rendering and putting S-IPS in a dilutrd 22" size seems a contradiction to my present understanding.

NEC is releasing a 24" that I think is S-IPS. I doubt there would be a 22" S-IPS since it has the resolution of a 20" panel but expanded. S-IPS is used for hihger quality image rendering and putting S-IPS in a dilutrd 22" size seems a contradiction to my present understanding.

You're correct, NEC is releasing the LCD2490WUXi (24")using the same panel as the larger LCD2690WUXi (26"). One caveat though is that the 26" covers 92% of the Adobe RGB gamut, while the 24" only gets up to 72% - or so I've been told.

Right now all the 22inchers are PVA.

As far as i have been informed there are no plans for a 22 inch S-IPS panel. NEC has recently released the LCD2490WUXi-BK which is S-IPS.

OK. Thanks for the information I was still hoping someone like LG or Dell would produce a S-IPS 22" panel instead of ye olde TN.

OK. Thanks for the information I was still hoping someone like LG or Dell would produce a S-IPS 22" panel instead of ye olde TN.

Just for the record Dell doesnt make panels at all. LG-Phillips, HItachi and NEC are the only companies who manufacture IPS panels and at this point I have not been informed that any of them are going to make one.

One caveat though is that the 26" covers 92% of the Adobe RGB gamut, while the 24" only gets up to 72% - or so I've been told.

Well, I wouldn't put it that way. Yes, it's "only" 74%, but other displays from NEC xx90UX line (2090UX, 2190Ux etc.) have 74% too, and they are all excellent displays, one of the best you can get today (lot of professional designers, photographs, DTP studios etc. use them for color critical tasks, at which they excel). It's just that NEC 2690UX has exceptional color performance, much higher than 99.9% LCD displays on the market (and besides those other displays with such wide, or wider, color gamut cost much more than that particular model).

That said, other displays with 92% (or wider) color gamut will come to market soon, but still - both 26" and 24" NEC models are top products, and actually they aren't terribly expensive if you compare them to usual xx90UX prices.

For the record, as I recall, the specs say the new NEC 24" has a 69% gamut.

Back