Safe mode?

Well, with all this "overclock to beat the auzzies" stuff goin on lol, i have a question

is it any better to run FAH in safemode? like because theres no other prosseses stealin cpu time? or is that a bunch of BS and you should alwase boot up in regular windows?

not for borgin, but rather for boxin

if you aren't going to use the box for anything else, you may as well run linux on it. less overhead than shmindoze.

mwarps said:
if you aren't going to use the box for anything else, you may as well run linux on it. less overhead than shmindoze.
QFT

I would look into it.

yeah, "safe mode - with networking"

QFT? whats that meen

its a p4, i would hate to mess it up with linux. i guess i could alwase go with 2000.

theshadow27 said:
yeah, "safe mode - with networking"

QFT? whats that meen

its a p4, i would hate to mess it up with linux. i guess i could alwase go with 2000.

have you looked into a linux live cd? Its basically an operating system on a bootable disc that allows you to run linux (and folding) without making any permanent changes to your system.

^^ that is good. I also suggest Damn Small Linux. You can create your own custom cd with folding in it. Takes only 24 mb of ram which theoretically means you can run those large ass QMD w/ only 512 mb of RAM.

theshadow27 said:

Sorry....
I don't get this.
I'm not personally a linux user at the momment.. But how can changing the OS "mess up" a computer.
As long as you image the hard drive you can always go right back to where you started. Or just get a cheap small HD off ebay and install the new OS on it, try it out, and if you don't like it then just unplug the small crappy HD and plug in the Old one. Format the small crappy one and use it as a second drive or get a $15.00 USB interface for it and use it for offline storage.

Open your mind... :D

I'll try anything as long as it's not GEOS....
Hell I used to have OS/2 Warp :D

rodsfree said:
Sorry.... But how can changing the OS "mess up" a computer.
linux install time: 2 hours
fucking around with linux time: 10 hours
sleeping after fucking around with linux: 12 hours
working the next day after fucking around with linux: 8 hours
coming back from work, to give up and reinstall windows: 5 hours

total time NOT FOLDING: ~ 40 hours...
max time gained by loading linux: ~ 30 sec per WU
i.e. mess up a computer.

safe mode takes almost 0 time, thus = easy speed boost, and my original question.

theshadow27 said:

i.e. mess up a computer.

safe mode takes almost 0 time, thus = easy speed boost, and my original question.

QFT!!!!

Na, I'm kidding. I just hope unhappy_mage sees this since he messed up that linux farm deal,,,,, or I did,,, or someone else did.

linux live cd distro instal = 5mins
putting bag of pop in the micro after linux is done = 1min
editing the config for folding = 5mins
getting popcorn from micro = 1mn

total time with popcorn = 12mins

side note: before you start the linux install boil water, while slamming bag of popcorn in the micro toss the kraft dinner in the bioling water. now you can have popcorn and krafter dinner in the same time you took to install linux and start it folding!

Majic said:
linux live cd distro instal = 5mins
putting bag of pop in the micro after linux is done = 1min
editing the config for folding = 5mins
getting popcorn from micro = 1mn

total time with popcorn = 12mins

side note: before you start the linux install boil water, while slamming bag of popcorn in the micro toss the kraft dinner in the bioling water. now you can have popcorn and krafter dinner in the same time you took to install linux and start it folding!
lol, "Linux and you: a lesson in contemporary cooking."

"101 things to do while Linux installs"

Carnival Forces said:

a long install for less headaches later....good deal in my book!
:D

I experimented with the safe mode and DOS mode client during the original FC5-64 distributed.net days. I took a trip to another country with my laptop (A Pentium 75!) and would be off the net for 3 months straight. I did some calculations and queued up enough work units so that I would not run out before I came home (that was a fun dump). My experiments proved that to actually make any gains of time due to little to no overhead running I would have to keep the computer in DOS mode for about five days straight just to make up for time lost due to the reboot before I would start to see a positive benefit.

Since I wanted the computer for a little while every day to write in a journal I was actually losing crunch time by rebooting twice a day (once into DOS mode and once out), even though I ran the windows client while in windows.

The numbers are probably quite different with this, but my point in saying all this is that unless your computer is used for nothing but crunching, it probably isn't worth the effort.

Carnival Forces said:

I usually read Heinlein. All good books.

The funny thing is, I've installed Windows while I installed Linux. Two different computers, of course... If I gotta spend 2 hours sitting there waiting for the next stupid dialog box to come up, I might as well handle 2 at once...

I may be coming out with a small, easy linux distro that would boot off a livecd, then start folding. It'd make it easy to get started with Linux and folding, without downloading 700 mb of overclockix. :p

run Linux in " init 3 '' which would be like running windows in command line only with networking. No cycles will be used for eye candy. ;)

DR_K13 said:
run Linux in " init 3 '' which would be like running windows in command line only with networking. No cycles will be used for eye candy. ;)
how do i get Mandrake 10.0 to run in "init 3" ?

well, i guess that'll be immaterial now...can someone tell me how to get folding going on Damn Small Linux ?

theshadow27 said:

i.e. mess up a computer.

You've never tried SimplyMEPUS or OverClockix have you...
The SimplyMEPUS CD will boot into a full working OS with all the applications running fom the CD. Without installing to the harddrive. Installation takes about 20minutes and it automatically recognizes 90% of the hardware out there and will use windows drivers for the rest.
If you just want to fold then get the Overclockix ISO and edit the fold configuration like Majic said. Boot from the CD and whenever you want to do something else with the computer remove the CD and boot from the harddrive...
Simple...

But if your not willing to experiment and learn - then that's ok too.

And safe mode probably won't have all the necessary processes available to run F@H. I don't know for sure, but I couldn't run squat every time I've booted into safe mode.

You might be able to get F@H to work under BartPE....

It'll take some work but the environment is alot more robust than Safe Mode and It'll boot and run off a CD.

Luck!

rodsfree said:
And safe mode probably won't have all the necessary processes available to run F@H. I don't know for sure, but I couldn't run squat every time I've booted into safe mode.

You might be able to get F@H to work under BartPE....
I do want to exparement and learn :), but i dont want to loose 1st place to the aussies :(

i have run F@H in safe mode (see this thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=900213&page=5 ) and it works fine. even shaved ~1 min off each frame. but since there is no way to boot into it automaticly, and no way to autostart VNC server, its not practical for boxen.

i might try BARTPE and add FAH to the image, i downloaded the creator a while back

i could try linux, but my past experences have scared me a little :eek:

i'm gonna try Damn Small Linux (format my Mandrake comp and install it on there) and watch it fold :)

Back