(Safe?)Pictures of my 120mm fan "ghetto" zip tie on HR-03 plus

vietpho

Limp Gawd
[Resolved]

Is this safe?

I had to Zip tie my 120mm fan onto my HR-03 plus because the brackets that came with it doesn't fit a 120mm fan.

So, I zip tie the top part.

But then I found out it hangs on the bottom:

10_HR-03Plus_FanHanging1.JPG

11_HR-03Plus_TopViewFanHanging.JPG

This would so hit my wires and X-fi sound card so I decided to zip tie around the whole heat sink to keep it in place.
13_HR-03Plus_GhettoZipTie_2.JPG

14_HR-03Plus_GhettoZipTieCloseup.JPG

Well, is this safe? How hot does the heat sink get anyways? Will the zipties "Melt"?

How should I fix this?

It'll be fine, I wouldn't worry about it getting hot enough to melt the plastic. If it did, then I'd say you probably have a lot more of a problem than the fan falling off (ie: stratospheric GPU temps). I would zip tie the other two corners if possible though, it's not really needed I'd say, but it just looks a bit off.

Sounds good. I'll go zip the the other corners and cut the long ends too! I wish I had "longer" zip ties so I don't have to triple small zip ties to tie it ><

No comment on this method, but thanks for the pictures.

Now I know there is NO WAY I can fit a HR-03 in my case with my 8800GTS.

No comment on this method, but thanks for the pictures.

Now I know there is NO WAY I can fit a HR-03 in my case with my 8800GTS.

18_Mobo_InsideCase.JPG

I love this case.

One thing I hate about this case is the GPU fan. I can't remove all of the screws from the GPU fan thing so I can put in a Yate Loon.

why did you not ziptie all four corners? Mine has been fine for the last 2 months

p792117992-5.jpg

crap.. you could play on the friggin Sun with thoses coolers :)

An idea...Have you thought about fabbing a shroud to fit over the HR-03? Place a fan in the front end, by the hard drive cage, and either leave the other end open, or have it exhaust air out the empty PCI slots. This would still take up a lot of space, but at least no more than that of the cooler itself and the shroud. Of course you'd probably want to make the fan area angled (probably severly if you want 92/120) to allow a larger fan, otherwise you'd end stuck with something in the 40-60mm range.

L33t M$ Paint skillz below:
phearlj6.jpg

ps The Accelero S1 is even larger, if only in the LxW departments 133x156x38 vs 140x215x32. The ACAS1 weighs less though, so the HR03 may still have the advantage in total surface area (more fins than the S1 it looks like, and obviously 2 more pipes).

To DarkTiger and Vietpho:

when you guys have zip ties on the fan, and once the fan is on, isn't there vibration of the fan banging the silent pipe? I mean, the fan is vibrating constantly

I use Nexus as system fan, and I put foam around the entire sq. box to prevent vibration noise

To DarkTiger and Vietpho:

when you guys have zip ties on the fan, and once the fan is on, isn't there vibration of the fan banging the silent pipe? I mean, the fan is vibrating constantly

I use Nexus as system fan, and I put foam around the entire sq. box to prevent vibration noise

it's shouldn't vibrate if you have those zip ties tight.

I love this case.

One thing I hate about this case is the GPU fan. I can't remove all of the screws from the GPU fan thing so I can put in a Yate Loon.

Remove all the screws holding the lower drive bay to the case (the face of the case to it and the bottom of the case to it along with the screws holding the bays together) pull it out and then you can get to all the screws. Also if you use a magnetized no.1 philips you can get it out and back in without removing the drive bay but it's a ticklish operation. I've pulled mine twice. Once to see if I could mod it to accept a 2-120 radiator and once to pull the screws out of the mesh. I found that I get better temps with the mesh in place rather than with it removed.

Dunno what a different fan would do but if it's higher CFM you could suffer for it.

Back