Safety Precautions when running ethernet cable?

Volume

2[H]4U
I'd like to run ethernet cabling (Cat6 to be exact) throughout my house, and I was wondering: are there any safety precautions to worry about? For example, STP over UTP, cable placement (away from power cables obviously, to limit noise), material to avoid placing the cable near?

Any input welcome. Thanks!

If it matters, which I doubt, I will be using tool-less Keystone jacks (anyone have negative experiences with tool-less?).

Thank you.

It'd run everything to a closet of some sort, or garage (that's what i'm going to do.. Centralize the endpoint because you'd have to put a switch there anway. If it's feasible, you might just as well run two cables at a time to each location for future expansion. If there's a room you think you won't ever need a jack, put it anyway.

Tool-less keystone jacks hasn't proven to be that great the last time I used it. But your experience may vary.

For a temporary solution for my Xbox360 going downstairs (where I can't get a WiFi signal, would one of those ethernet-over-AC work? Anyone use those?

As far as the closet goes, I really, in all honesty, don't need one. I know for sure I won't need any further devices connected. If I ever do, I have sufficient room to place a small switch near the ethernet port I'd be installing near my home theater.

My question of placement remains: Should I be worried of electrical fire or anything like that when running inside walls? My electrical knowledge is very limited.

When I used to run wire, make sure the coating is non-toxic and that you run it away from any heat or power source. Other than that I've never had any issues.

Power over AC works but I heard they are not reliable. I've never used one personally nor would I ever use one. Depending on how old your home is could determine how "dirty" your circuits are. This would in turn affect latency and bandwidth.

When I used to run wire, make sure the coating is non-toxic and that you run it away from any heat or power source. Other than that I've never had any issues.

Power over AC works but I heard they are not reliable. I've never used one personally nor would I ever use one. Depending on how old your home is could determine how "dirty" your circuits are. This would in turn affect latency and bandwidth.

Likewise, I'm not too fond of the idea of using ethernet-over-AC, but it's good to have a last resort.

Good point about the checking for toxic material and keeping it away from vents.

Here's some general guidelines:

1) Pull riser rated UTP cable. Riser rated means it's rated by code to pull between different floors of your house. PVC jacket is more than likely ok. Rarely does local code require single family dwellings to pull Plenum jacketed cable. You can always ask the local inspector.

2) Keep you wire at least 6" from power lines. If they do have to cross each other cross them purpendicularly.

3) Don't let your cable kink, it can cause issues.

4) Don't let the cable get tight around a 90 degree corner, that can screw up the cable as well.

For a temporary solution for my Xbox360 going downstairs (where I can't get a WiFi signal, would one of those ethernet-over-AC work? Anyone use those?

Powerline products need a very clean signal to work. If the room from where the powerline signal is generated and the room where it terminates are on different circuits, then it definitely will NOT work. Generally, I've found powerline products to be a good idea in theory, but abysmal in actual performance, even in the same room. Rumor has it that they work better in Europe...

Powerline stuff isn't *BAD*... at least it wasn't for me. I tried getting 802.11b and g wireless working in my inlaws house... it just wouldn't stay up reliably, often jumping onto other open access points around the neighborhood, even when our router was showing better strength. Eventually, I turned to powerline, plugged it in and haven't had a problem since. I'm sure the bandwidth isn't the best, but for general web browsing, etc, it's more than enough.

Personally, when I get a home of my own, I'm running CAT6 cable throughout.

Cat6? Cracka please, it's all about the 10GbE fiber :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....I could not stop laughing when I read this.

Can I be a douche bag for 1 minute? CAT6....why not go wireless...duh:rolleyes:
JUST KIDDING

A little background on plenum vs. no plenum has to do a bit with fires. Plenum will give off less smoke. Most fires kill people because of smoke inhalation.

Another good tool that will help you is a punch down tool for the patch panel and some fish tape.

I wouldn't worry about cabling in a home setting. You are likely not to encounter the things you would in a work place (high drops, florescent lights, high voltage runs, plenum requirements, fire codes, slack for ceiling tiles, etc).

Just use common sense and keep things tidy and you will be fine.

Back