Sager 9750-C @ [H] Consumer

Chris_Morley

Former [H] Consumer Managing Ed.
Check it out here!

Our PC Torque-brand Sager 9750-C is a “desktop replacement” – a heavy laptop with a short battery life, but tons of power behind it. You could take it on a plane or to a coffee shop if you had to, but this is not the laptop for those who plan to do most of their computing from the road. These are typically for people who don’t want their computers to take a whole lot of space, meaning college students and anyone living in cramped quarters.Our PC Torque-brand Sager 9750-C is a “desktop replacement” – a heavy laptop with a short battery life, but tons of power behind it. You could take it on a plane or to a coffee shop if you had to, but this is not the laptop for those who plan to do most of their computing from the road. These are typically for people who don’t want their computers to take a whole lot of space, meaning college students and anyone living in cramped quarters.

Where's the numbers at the end? How many/10 did it score?

As for the support, I always knew there was something about Sager I didn't like.

Good review, [H] does it again.

InorganicMatter said:
Where's the numbers at the end? How many/10 did it score?

As for the support, I always knew there was something about Sager I didn't like.

Good review, [H] does it again.
Because PC Torque no longer sells laptop gaming computers, we have decided not to give numerical scores for this product. It would be unfair to PC Torque and misleading to our readers to give numerical scores for a product that is available for sale, but not from the company we purchased it from.
Top of the conclusion page... ;)

All things considering the battery life of this notebook seemed to be pretty good since it has a dual core desktop proc in it. Question for you Chris did you all run the notebook for more then 24 hours without running a stress test on it? Over all the notebook seems to be pretty good for those in the market for something like it.

swatbat said:
All things considering the battery life of this notebook seemed to be pretty good since it has a dual core desktop proc in it. Question for you Chris did you all run the notebook for more then 24 hours without running a stress test on it? Over all the notebook seems to be pretty good for those in the market for something like it.
Yup, it got a LOT of real world abuse - Brian's in love with this thing...

Just a note Sager does sell their product via this web site, http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html
For some strange reason the Sager site didn’t' have as many options to select by when customizing as PCTorque, But the reason I used Sager directly was because the backorder was 1 week less then PCTorque. Makes sence to take care of your own first ;)

I have bought from both sites and never had any problems with the product. So I have no first hand experience with support. :cool:

calgrdnr said:
Just a note Sager does sell their product via this web site, http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html
For some strange reason the Sager site didn’t' have as many options to select by when customizing as PCTorque, But the reason I used Sager directly was because the backorder was 1 week less then PCTorque. Makes sence to take care of your own first ;)

I have bought from both sites and never had any problems with the product. So I have no first hand experience with support. :cool:
Yup - we just didn't like the support we got from Sager. Fantastic product, spotty support - that's why we recommend finding a reputable reseller that can assist you with their own support.

If anyone's looking for another reseller of Sager notebooks, apparently Powernotebooks.com has a reputation of being one of the best. I'd like to see a review of them in the future.

Good review, as always. I think considering the fact that PC Torque no longer sells notebooks, the end result was very nice.

GForce64 said:
If anyone's looking for another reseller of Sager notebooks, apparently Powernotebooks.com has a reputation of being one of the best. I'd like to see a review of them in the future.

Good review, as always. I think considering the fact that PC Torque no longer sells notebooks, the end result was very nice.
Thanks, we really liked this machine and wanted to tell you all about it. I've had hands on experience with it since its inception (Pentium 4 and a 9700 Pro), and have always liked the results...

Chris_Morley said:
Yup, it got a LOT of real world abuse - Brian's in love with this thing...

Bit more background information on this; I'm in the middle of a move and about 3 weeks ago, I shipped off my desktop computer to my new address. This computer quite literally became my only computer for about 2 weeks until I brought it back into the office.

Minus the support from pc torque, how would this laptop rank? With the sager support?

hi i just wanna put in my 2 cents

i have owned a Sager 4880 notebook for just over a year now.
specs are
Centrino 1.7
1gb Ram
60GB HDD
ATI X700

its been a fantastic machine, the component build has been excellent, i have had very few hardware or software problems with it. i do have one complaint though

i have to date broken the LCD panel TWICE in this laptop. in both cases it broke under what i concider a light to moderate amount of force applied to the back of the screen (the outside case)

the pastic shell over the LCD that acts as the top of the computer when closed, is very thin, after removing the broken panel i saw there is no structural support inside the laptop, its just a flat sheet of plastic i was expecting some ridges of plastic or a metal backing or SOMETHING, to protect the screen, nope. i have since devised my own protection device made out of 1/8" thick plexi shapped to the contours of the laptop, its added some weight but its not gonna break any time soon. luckily i found replacement LCDs on ebay for ~$100 rather then the ~$400 sager was going to charge me to replace it new.

also incase some of you didnt know sager is actually just the american brand of
Clevo Computers http://www.clevo.com.tw/
my 4880 is clevo part number M400

so overall very happy with the notebook aside from teh flaws in reliable build quaility. tech support/RMA sucks too. might buy from sager again but i think next time i will go toughbook, or IBM/levono, but that dual SLI 19" is pretty sexy. if only i had money to burn.....

Bbq said:
Minus the support from pc torque, how would this laptop rank? With the sager support?
The machine is fantastic, but Sager's support is poor. We probably would have hesitated to issue it an Editor's Choice Award if all we had to deal with was Sager.

We highly recommend you find a good reseller that offers solid support, this is a great laptop.

In fact, I won't recommend dealing either with Powernotebooks or Sager.

The first doesn't help you at all when it comes to out-of-warranty repairs, the second is anything but professional. Such repairs are typically very high priced, and they make you pay shipping both ways. The former has an advantage, though: their price are extremely competitive, and they don't force you to buy Windows with the computer, which is useful if you already have your own as I did.

Also, if you're still in love with Sager's enormous power under the hood, don't forget to spit a good chunk more to get the extended warranty. It's absolutely necessary. In fact, I had already 2 RMA on it, although the computer is less than 2 years old. The first one was $600US (broke out 1 month after the standard 1-year warranty), and the second just covered by the small warranty I managed to get on the new motherboard. Two times the motherboard failed, in other words.

So, if you want or need their power, add an extended warranty, and be prepared to have a backup solution in case the computer is needed for your work.

Back