Saints Row 3 PC - Awesome!

Cautious comments about this game are not allowed in this thread. Got it.

My co-worker has been hyping this game up, but with time so precious between BF3 and Skyrim - I may need to wait until XMAS to even touch this.

Cautious comments about this game are not allowed in this thread. Got it.

lol - I assumed you posted nswf screen-caps or something.

How dare you bring up caution in a thread about such an awesome game! :p

Is SLI needed for Ultra/1080p settings? With specs in sig I only get around 35 fps.

Nope, I'm running it just fine on my rig-in-sig - looks like yours is better so not sure what the issue could be. I ran fraps on it last night, but fraps quit working after I changed the res. I'll have to report back with the rest of my findings.

Maxed @720P, I was getting a range from 45-90 fps, with the average outdoor fps in the low/mid 50's and indoor scenes in the 80's.

I turned up the res to 1080P and fraps quit displaying my fps; I didn't feel like re-starting the game to make it work. My FPS didn't really seem to take much of a hit at all. Think I may actually be pretty close to CPU bottleneck in this game.

Last edited:
I've only played about an hour (I'm a little while past the plane part), but so far it has been awesome. I really enjoy the fact that they don't take things too seriously, and the production values of this game are very high.

Pop-in is pretty terrible, I wish these GTA-style games would just include a render distance option. -_- It's 2011 I think we can render cars more than 30 feet away...

Pop-in is pretty terrible, I wish these GTA-style games would just include a render distance option. -_- It's 2011 I think we can render cars more than 30 feet away...

Yeah, that was one of my biggest issues with SR2 as well - you'd see an awesome car you wanted, but if you let it out of your sight it would un-spawn and it was gone forever.

Was hoping this would be fixed, but haven't really been able to tell yet if it's any better. Hopefully there will be some mods to adjust this.

Maxed @720P, I was getting a range from 45-90 fps, with the average outdoor fps in the low/mid 50's and indoor scenes in the 80's.

I turned up the res to 1080P and fraps quit displaying my fps; I didn't feel like re-starting the game to make it work. My FPS didn't really seem to take much of a hit at all. Think I may actually be pretty close to CPU bottleneck in this game.

I was getting 60fps at 720P, so maybe my rig can't handle 1080P.

I bit on the amazon deal going right now. Can't wait to go home and play this game. Played the first one and skipped the 2nd. 3rd time seems the charm :)

i cant play it :( game just black screens for me and the intro cutscene with the car/chopper is laggy as hell then after the amd logo black screen crash.

saints has been nothing but a pita with my bulldozer cpu, never could get initiation station to work.

i cant play it :( game just black screens for me and the intro cutscene with the car/chopper is laggy as hell then after the amd logo black screen crash.

saints has been nothing but a pita with my bulldozer cpu, never could get initiation station to work.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I'm running the game with no issues on a Phenom II 945 stock and 6870 card. I'm running whatever the latest drivers are as of last Friday. I was bracing myself for a buggy lagfest but that never happened.

Seems to be a common issue with all Bulldozer users.

So just started playing this today, anyone else having SLI not working? Doesn't seem to be working for me. Also, just had a game crash :eek:

Um wow, game just crashed again

So just started playing this today, anyone else having SLI not working? Doesn't seem to be working for me. Also, just had a game crash :eek:

The game hangs up at certain points on the map, one of them being the main bridge that connects the districts. If you notice things or your own car disappearing from under you or the audio suddenly stops, that means the game is hanging up. The method I use is to hit esc (the menu won't pop up but hit esc anyways), then alt+tab out of the game, and click on the game icon on your toolbar to go back into it. Everything should be loaded back up again. It's kind of annoying but at least it works until they patch it up.

I can't even get past the first campaign mission in the bank, it crashes in that area. It also crashes in Whored Mode (which is awesome btw). I'm switching cards right now to see if that is it. Was using 580 SLI, maybe it has an issue with that, putting in a 6970 now.

I don't think there are SLI or CFX profiles out for the game yet. Could be wrong though.

It also crashes in Whored Mode (which is awesome btw).
Had to look this up:
"Whored Mode shares the same basic concept as any other Horde mode where you and a buddy will go up against wave-after-wave of enemies."

This game looks really fun, damnit. I barley have enough time at the moment to play BF3 as it is.

Good Lord, this game is almost as much of a time stealer as Skyrim. HELP!!

;)

Has anyone tried this in 3d vision yet?

Had this not been released a few days after Skyrim and a few days before Serious Sam 3 I would have bit. I still might if 3d vision works well. These types of games are great in 3d.

Good Lord, this game is almost as much of a time stealer as Skyrim. HELP!!

;)

I know right? I bit on the Amazon deal earlier. Fuck right now I'm torn between Skyrim, SR3, Dark Souls, and BF3.

Anyway I'm one mission after the plane jump. They just throw you right into the mayhem on this game. LOL I really liked the first 2 games. I almost find it a companion to the GTA series especially now that GTA has gone "serious" and SR is just bat shit crazy over the top crank it to 12. :D

Waiting on my controller from Amazon to buy it on steam.

Amazon.com has it for the PC from their digital service for $39.99

You can just input the key into Steam and download it directly from Steam after your transaction, I did the same thing for Deus Ex: HR

Amazon.com has it for the PC from their digital service for $39.99

You can just input the key into Steam and download it directly from Steam after your transaction, I did the same thing for Deus Ex: HR

Awesome.

Does anyone know if you can use a k/m on foot and use a controller in vehicles? Or is it just one or the other?

This game barely runs better than GTA4 for me.
I'm being CPU capped to pretty much 30~40 fps consistently, regardless of my graphics settings. That's disappointing, considering the graphics aren't that great in the first place.

Also waiting on an FoV fix. ;)
At the moment playing in 16:9 actually gives you a wider vision than 16:10 http://widescreengamingforum.com/dr/saints-row-third/en

Last edited:
I know! I have to get it out of my system before Tuesday for Batman.

No point in rushing or crunching. I simply am going to come out at the end of this month with "gaming overload" and spread and assign 'em out. I think I'm going to be all set for a good number of months at the rate this is going.

No point in rushing or crunching. I simply am going to come out at the end of this month with "gaming overload" and spread and assign 'em out. I think I'm going to be all set for a good number of months at the rate this is going.
I'm suffering from this right now. I'm not sure which two games should get my undivided attention for the next week or so. I've been staying up late playing about four games for about an hour or so each night. I feel like I'm speading myself thin but I'm having too much fun! If Batman on the PC turns out to be a solid release, I might ditch the PS3 version for the PC one. I guess having too many great games to play is a good thing.

Yeah, game companies think we have unlimited time and money apparently, with all these bad-ass releases over the last month or two. :)

I was getting 60fps at 720P, so maybe my rig can't handle 1080P.

K - I ran fraps with the game maxed@1080 last night, rig in sig, and fps were a good bit lower than I thought. Min FPS was 34, average was 42-46-ish, and max was high 50's. It still feels surprisingly smooth though - I'll probably just leave it at 1080, but may turn it back down to 720 if I start having any difficulty with action sequences.

Does anyone know if you can use a k/m on foot and use a controller in vehicles? Or is it just one or the other?

Yes, this should work just fine. I got in a similar habit for SR2 where I used the controller most of the time, and actually used Controller+Mouse for shooting while on-foot. I re-mapped several of the controller-buttons so all the commands I needed on foot were on the left side of the controller, and this worked really well.

So far in SR3, I haven't been able to figure out how to re-map any of the controller buttons, so I've just been sticking with KB/M. The driving controls for KB/M in SR3 are tons better, and I've been getting along just fine without the controller so far.

But yeah, if you want to use both KB/M and Controller you can - you'll just have to switch back and forth. Doesn't look like the mix-n-match method is an option yet. I'm hoping they allow controller re-mapping in a patch sometime soon - it was a lot of fun in SR2.

Yeah, game companies think we have unlimited time and money apparently, with all these bad-ass releases over the last month or two. :)

I hate the way we keep seeing this pattern of: "Drought, crunch a bunch of games in at the same time in a real short space of time, drought" cycle.

This may be the worst instance of it yet. I don't get it.

I finally got a chance to play this game last night and I'm very impressed so far. I dont know how to manage my time to play all these games between BF3, SR3rd, Batman AC/AA, The Witcher 2. All these games are AAA title for me. Awesome year of pc games so far!

I know right? I bit on the Amazon deal earlier. Fuck right now I'm torn between Skyrim, SR3, Dark Souls, and BF3.

Anyway I'm one mission after the plane jump. They just throw you right into the mayhem on this game. LOL I really liked the first 2 games. I almost find it a companion to the GTA series especially now that GTA has gone "serious" and SR is just bat shit crazy over the top crank it to 12. :D

Just because gtaiv and tlad were serious dosent mean the entire franchise is going that way. the majority of gta isnt serious.

I hate the way we keep seeing this pattern of: "Drought, crunch a bunch of games in at the same time in a real short space of time, drought" cycle.

This may be the worst instance of it yet. I don't get it.

Sales figures really effect it. Historically games sale are low during the summer and peak around the Holidays and after the New Year.

Change light detail to low, and you may gain significant FPS! It doesn't make a noticeable difference in visual quality, to me at least.

Back