Saitek Cyborg Keyboard Preview

Just add E and:

204769641_a386b83265.jpg

Looks like a keyboard finally worth buying. I've had no luck with Logitech or Saitek keyboard so far. I think the best feature is the keys from what I can tell now.

Looks like a keyboard finally worth buying. I've had no luck with Logitech or Saitek keyboard so far. I think the best feature is the keys from what I can tell now.

For sure the WASD in crome is an awesome feature. :) Also the USB Jack on the Keyboard along with headphone and mic. Not to mention all of the different LED colors.

Also and this is kinda funny now not only is there F1-F12, but also C1-C12.:cool:

Dang...I really can't explain how awesome this keyboard is for gaming.:) Everything just feels perfect.

My Eclipse just died last night after I spilled water on it and did not get it unplugged fast enough. :mad:I took it apart and found some traces had been broke/ fried and I had lost most LED's along the bottom. I contemplated buying a conductive pen and redoing traces lines then re soldering new LED's but figured this was a great excuse for a upgrade.:D So I went out to BB and CC to find a series 1 G15 and had no luck except for display models that had their cords cut. =( So lo and behold I saw this on the shelf at Circuit City. Its so new it had no price label on the shelf. Me and another gamer were there contemplating and comparing the Razor and G15 Ver2. I had CC price check it and it came back @80$ so I checked the features and me and the other guy bought the only two avail on the shelf.
First impressions: Great key feel for texture and resistance, the lighting options are nice although it lacks blue which seems odd, yellow but no blue? Have not messed with all the options such as the media control or the C keys yet but I expect them to be that same as its counter parts. I do like the touch control screen dash up top it is a neat gimmick as long as it holds up . While at first I was thinking the silver metal plated/covered keys were gaudy, all I have to do is look at my eclipse that literally had the silver wore off of the "S" key and made it look like a fuzzy * after 3 years of gaming. My fingers normally rest on A,S,D and My thumb rests on the space bar (which was also showing wear on the Eclipse) so if the metal makes them last then I will overlook the chrome like appearances. I do wish they were a dull gun metal Grey tho. So if you guy have any questions or want any real pics posted just hit this thread up and I will respond with whatever ya want.

Looks crazy. So many different colours. Dunno.. If I can find a keyboard to fit in my backpack that would be awesome!

I am looking at the DKTSlimboard as of now.

But the Saitek Cyborg looks something to look into. Not sure though. From Saitek Eclipses, to me, they just feel to chinsy.

I purchased one today, and took pictures. Look for a post in the next hour or so with a review-type thing.

That looks pretty cool.. I might grab one whenever they go on sale, depending on how it feels when I check it out in person.

The Pictures are uploading.

If you want to see this, it will be at Never Never LAN 3.0 next weekend

I'm going to give this keyboard a test run this week and most definitely this weekend at the LAN. If you want to try it out, I'll let you have a whirl.

OMG I'm busted!:eek: LOL

Although I must say in most FPS like TF2 and BF2 & CS:S backing up is a solid strategy that peeps always seem to walk into ambushes when they follow me,(until now I suppose) Seldom do I go toe to toe blazing. Slightly back on topic I am actually surprised the W was not nearly affected as well because thats where the finger gets shifted to back and forth between S & W. I should mention the chrome like keys on this board are W,A,S,D, Space and the arrow keys, Any one else seen much wearing on those keys, or you guys smash them out of frustration prior to their aging that long?;)

The Saitek Cyborg Gaming Keyboard is a pretty slick keyboard. There's no LCD like the G15 has, but it makes up with it in other ways.

It comes in a box! They definitely took care making the packaging, but it's almost identical to how my G15 came

Apparently there's a problem with the XP Drivers with the volume indicator. Vista doesn't have a problem!

The Cyborg has protective film on all of it's shiny areas to protect it during shipping

Here's some close-ups of the metal keys. These aren't crome plated, or painted plastic keys.. they feel like solid METAL! (Yes, I know it's dusty.. this keyboard picks up dust like no tomorrow, though it might have been really dusty in my kitchen today)

*Note: You definitelly want to click on these and go see the full size versions if you can.. it's incredible

The top bar might not be a LCD display like the G15, but dammit, it's dead useful.

Here's my old G15 and Cyborg side-by-side:

The keyboards with their wrist rests attached

Here's a comparison with the keyboards on, and brightness turned all the way up. Notice how even using read (which is a lot dimmer than blue) is a lot brighter than the G15.

I tried to do pictures the different brightness levels, but my camera adjusted the exposure time so they looked identical.

Here's the different colors the keyboard can be. This is one of my favorite features

RED

GREEN

YELLOW

AMBER (Orange-ish)

The Cyborg's Gaming Mode is a little bit better than the G15's "gaming mode". While the G15's switch just disabled the windows key, this one disables the windows key, activates the side programmable keys, and allows you to set different parts of the keyboard different colors and brightnesses.

The G15 has just 2 keyboard stands to adjust tilt, and the cyborg has 6, here's the different positions:

Both lying flat

G15 up, Cyborg back stands level 1

G15 up, Cyborg back stands level 2

G15 up, Cyborg back stands level 2, Front stands up

Here's what the keyboard stands look like:

Here's the auxiliary ports - notice how there's only 1 USB port (the G15 has 2) but this port has a seperate USB port at the computer, and it's not reliant on whatever power is left over from the keyboard. That, and it's got Audio as well.

Here's the product label on the bottom. I thought this was called the Cyborg gaming keyboard, but apparently it's another model of the Eclipse keyboard.

Here's the plugs, notice 2 USB ports - one labeled kb and one labeled ext, so you have the full power of a USB port on the keyboard.

When I was taking pictures of the keyboard heights, I noticed something interesting about the wrist rest - it extends out for people like me with big hands

Bravo man! I too have this keyboard and love it, I think you did a great job with that review and hit all the major points. That shows some genuine effort. Those comparison shots with the G15 were gold as I do not have one to compare to but had those exact questions about light brightness and footprint. I also really am enjoying the touch sensitive panel dash board for on the fly changes. The only thing you left out was the unique ability to independently control the brightness and color of the WASD,Arrows, NUM-pad and the extra C keys lights both from the keyboard AND each other, which while a little gimmicky lends to a custom feeling of making the keyboard your own. On quick glance this this can look like a Lightbright.

Yeah, great review. Makes me want to go out and get one right now.

Here's the product label on the bottom. I thought this was called the Cyborg gaming keyboard, but apparently it's another model of the Eclipse keyboard.

Probably started out as the Eclipse III but they decided to change the name to something... edgier?

So far I'm pleased. The LCD was mostly a clock or resource monitor, didn't really do what it was originally advertised for, being integrated into games.

This bar looks like a display, but it's touch-sensitive and very useful.

Probably started out as the Eclipse III but they decided to change the name to something... edgier?

Valid theory now that you mention it, as they did do the one and the two but his one def deserves its own title.

Looks like this is as good or better than g15. Maybe I'll pick one up!

Yeah I was actually looking for a Ver. 1, when i stumbled across this, as most my buds got them, but for my money the Ver. 2 can't touch this,<shrug>

So far I'm pleased. The LCD was mostly a clock or resource monitor, didn't really do what it was originally advertised for, being integrated into games.

While I really like the mods put out by the community for diff apps and games, I have since changed to a dual monitor setup that cover chat clients and any spare info needed like clocks or resource monitors. Them changing to a dramatically smaller LCD and changing the color to orange-y sealed the deal against Ver. 2 for me.

I also have to say coming directly from my beloved Eclipse 1 to this that the lights on here are MUCH brighter on max setting for this keyboard than before. The key color being black seems to make the keys easier to read and sharper in contrast than a blue light through a silver key.

The Version 2 was orange, just.. orange. Who in the hell uses ORANGE?

Yes, this does orange, and I use it in my game mode, but I have it colored where the metal keys are bright red, and the sides are the the light orange, so it looks pretty cool.

I keep it green in non-gaming because my case is bright green (at least today.. idk, it's so much fun I've been screwing with it all afternoon :) )

I've been waiting over a month since I first found out about this keyboard, to pick one up at Best Buy. I've got $100 worth of Best Buy Reward Zone Certificates that I want to use to buy it :)

If anyone sees that Best Buy is carrying this, let me know please :) Since BB carries the Saitek Eclipse II keyboard, I'm hoping they'll carry the Cyborg.

Cyborg is an appropriate name. If all you are looking for is the best well-lit keys (but no programming functionality) , check out the Everglide DK. I've owned the Logitech G15, Saitek Eclipse I & II. Can't hold a candle to the Everglide when it comes to night gaming.

i have a Saitek Eclipse and i love it, i really like these new one, might have to upgrade :D

I just returned my Everglide DKT after 3 days. About the only thing I liked was its backlighting. Otherwise, the keys felt cheap, were crammed too tightly together, were too small and the only aluminum part was the top frame that surrounds the keys. Everything else was just plastic. I really wanted to like the DKT, but was very disappointed.

Just picked up a Cyborg keyboard myself a couple of days ago. I REALLY like this thing. I've been wanting a backlit for sometime now but none of the other offerings seem to compell me enough to drop the cash.

Well I did for this one and I'm 100% satisfied. Everything from the looks (debatable I know but I LIKE IT), to the feel of the keys; it's all just 'right' for me.

As for the 'metal' keys. I quite positive there not real metal but rather just covered in a chrome plastic or some type of coating.

My only complaint is it needs at least 1 more USB port (only has ONE).

This keyboard is all about setups and customizations. There's even several ways to angle the keyboard both down tilt and up tilt.

Love it.

(Got it from Circuit City)

I just picked up one myself. So far I really like it. I will have to say the implementation of the backlighting is the best I've seen on any keyboard. They one gripe I have is with the programming software, it seems you cannot program the (Macro keys) to launch a program or application. If someone finds a way let me know, it looks like only macros can be recorded.

I just returned my Everglide DKT after 3 days. About the only thing I liked was its backlighting. Otherwise, the keys felt cheap, were crammed too tightly together, were too small and the only aluminum part was the top frame that surrounds the keys. Everything else was just plastic. I really wanted to like the DKT, but was very disappointed.

Glad u told me that as I was seriously considering getting one. So it's between the cyborg and Lycosa for me. Hmmm

I picked up a cyborg last night at Fry's and LOVE IT!!!!! this replaced my Merc Stealth, which the KB part always bugged me... the Stealth's little game pad rocked, but typing fast on it's qwerty part was never easy.. the keys were a bit too compact.. anyways.. the Cyborg is so nice to type on, the lights are very bright but also adjustable in color and light level.. I have it in a kb tray under my desk with my Nostromo n52te and death adder on the desk top for primary movement... then the cyborg is there below for typing messages and anything which requires more complex key sequences.. very nice gaming setup imo. really happy with that kb.. the cyborg mode with the color change and ability to make differen zones differen colors iactually really kick ass... I thought it would be so-so, but no.. I like it a lot. the keys have a nice solid feel... a little like the eclipse II... which I type on every day lots, so it's a very nice a famillair feel. good stuff!

edit:

get a cyborg for $64 shipped @ newegg with promo code EMCAHABCF

Back