Samsung 1TB.. 79.99 shipped.

I unfortunately own two of these.
One died within 30 days - RMA'd to newegg, replacement seems to be running ok.
The second lived about two months. Died last week. RMA issued by Samsung, waiting for drive to arrive to them.

I bought one of these a few months ago. It pulls about 100-120MB/s and latency is decent. No reliability problems, and I use 500GB of it for games, so it does get stressed.

The second lived about two months. Died last week. RMA issued by Samsung, waiting for drive to arrive to them.

I have seen a lot of drives die when using Nvidia RAID on the 680/780 chipset, not sure I'd blame the drives.

Finally its back!

I was ticked I missed it the first time around, not again! Thanks OP.

I have seen a lot of drives die when using Nvidia RAID on the 680/780 chipset, not sure I'd blame the drives.

I don't have either of those chipsets, so that makes a lot of sense? S2NSE is 790i.

Not to mention I've carried my raid 5 array from 650i to 780i to 790i and it has had no issues whatsoever.

These are excellent drives. In my ESXi rig they run really cool, even stacked on top of each other.

I still tend to believe that a lot of these bad reviews have more to do with NewEgg's crappy shipping than with the harddrive's manufacturer QA.

I seriously doubt that as the caviar black sells out frequently at the egg and yet WD does not have the same negative reputation.

I seriously doubt that as the caviar black sells out frequently at the egg and yet WD does not have the same negative reputation.

Well, I've had several HDD's from variousmanufacturers either die after several weeks or be DOA, all purchased from NE... yet, every HDD that I've purchased from either Amazon.com or ZZF has worked just fine.

The difference? packaging. Every NE HDD was packed with only a single layer of bubble-wrap, surrounded by packing paper and a few packing peanuts. Every HDD I've received from either Amazon or ZZF was packed awesomely (with lots of bubble wrap/packing peanuts, and anti-static foam/plastic holders), ensuring that the HDD is not only well protected, but seating very tightly inside the box used to ship it (so it isn't moving around like crazy).

All of my WD hard drives from Newegg have worked fine.

Remember that hard drives are handled by the factory, shipped to retailers, handled by material handlers, then shipped again. The final packaging isn't the only time a hard drive can be mishandled, and I bet most DOA hard drives were faulty leaving the factory. Drives that fail after consumption aren't necessarily damaged by the retailer's packaging either. All manufacturers have defective drives.

I understand that, I'm not hating on the Egg... but I go by my personal experience and when it happens in 6 out of 10 times, I'm sure you'd be weary like me.

I just decided to get my HDD's from somewhere else... and only go to the Egg when their pricing is way, way better than that from the other merchants I normally use.

I prefer to get hard drives from Amazon. Howver, I wasn't too thrilled about them shipping me two WD10EADS. Though each had their own box with the black foam, they put both boxes in a bigger box and didn't fill the gap. The boxes had free roam.

I have also had Samsung F1 drives fail so never again from me. I think these drives do have a higher failure rate than others. I got my RMA drive back, but I'm a little afraid to really use it.

I understand that, I'm not hating on the Egg... but I go by my personal experience and when it happens in 6 out of 10 times, I'm sure you'd be weary like me.

I just decided to get my HDD's from somewhere else... and only go to the Egg when their pricing is way, way better than that from the other merchants I normally use.

Just to be straight I'm backing WD, not the egg's method of shipping HDs. I gladly payed a little more to get my 2 Caviar Blacks from ZZF.

I have been using this hard drive as a main drive for over 6 months with no problem. I'm using it with a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard. Its very quiet, fast, and relatively cool. (I did a will-call pick up from mwave when I got this hard drive).

I've purchased over 8 hard drives over the past several years from Newegg and none have failed on me. The only hard drive that I had fail was a 2 and a half year old Western Digital 250GB hard drive which WD replaced through warranty (very little hassle).

I have 5 of these they all work great, unfortunately both my WD green drives seem to have the same problem. Every now and then they dissapear and come back, but windows tells me the drive needs to be formatted. Untill I reboot... No complaints with the sammies in my WHS box.

I have 5 of these they all work great, unfortunately both my WD green drives seem to have the same problem. Every now and then they dissapear and come back, but windows tells me the drive needs to be formatted. Untill I reboot... No complaints with the sammies in my WHS box.

Same here I got in on this deal last time. I have 1 of just about evey 1TB drive manu there is in my WHS box. The samsung runs the coolest, the hitachi runs the hottest, seagate and WD are in the middle. All purchased from newegg, the samsung came packed in a clam shell with bubble wrap around it.

This is exactly why I keep a 16gb flash drive handy. You never know when you have to reformat.

I've got a Samsung 750gb that I am extremely happy with over a year later. Bought mine from ZZF, and they overpack if anything. I would definitely order from them again on one of these.

Back