Samsung 20" S-IPS Panel

yogiB

Limp Gawd
Of the current (new) Samsung 19" - 21" models, are there any IPS panels? I've been thinking about buying the 206BW but the only thing holding me back is the fact that it's a TN panel. My primary applications are photo-editing and web browsing. Color fidelity and text quality are very important.

So, what are the IPS Samsung panels available, if any?

If not Samsung, I'm open to suggestions from other brands as long as they are IPS.

Thanks in advance for any help.

NOTE: Aspect ratio does not matter. I'd be happy with either 4:3 or 16:10.

I'd stay away from Samsung LCDs. I have 12 of the 204Bs at work, and 8 of them failed within the first year and had to be RMAed. It wasn't one specific problem either, it was all over the place. Everything from backlights failing, dropping rows of pixels, inputs failing, just refusing to power up, etc.

**edit** This comment only applies to the 20X series. Some of Samsung's other lines are quite good.

There are no more affordable 19"-20" monitors with IPS panels being made.....the buying public has spoken with their wallet, and their stupidity has given us a plethora of TN panels to choose from.

Not everyone can afford to front new technology. The average person cannot justify spending over $500 for a new monitor. Those days are gone with the early to mid 1990s. Most people just want something that works and is inexpensive... TN fits that bill. In a perfect world, we'd all own IPS screens.

certainly none with Samsung

and most likely none all around in that size.
I am looking myself but i don't do photo editign so i can live without IPS

There are no more affordable 19"-20" monitors with IPS panels being made.....the buying public has spoken with their wallet, and their stupidity has given us a plethora of TN panels to choose from.

What a daft thing to say, they were never affordable which is why they're so hard to come by.

Maybe we should all go out and get loans so we can afford a Rolls Royce, then they'll stop making crappy cars :p

Leaving affordability aside, :D , can you recommend any good IPS panels?

Where Samsung is concerned, is there any specific model you would recommend for my purposes and size range? Would S-PVA do a better job at photo editing than TN? What specific model?

Thanks again.

What a daft thing to say, they were never affordable which is why they're so hard to come by.

Maybe we should all go out and get loans so we can afford a Rolls Royce, then they'll stop making crappy cars :p
I have 2...A Dell 2007WFP and an NEC 20WMGX2 and I paid about the same as a higher end 22" TN panel costs...which means both were just over $300. If you're rocking an E-machines with a Pentium D and 512 megs of ram....there is no reason to go overboard with a monitor. What I don't understand is people that build a monster quad core, SLI, Raid 0 rig and then come in this subforum looking for a cheap 22" under $200. To me thats kind of like putting Walmart discount tires on a Ferrari..

edit- instead of "stupidity" I should have said ignorance...most consumers don't know or care about different panel types. As long as it's big and the price is right..it will sell.

Where Samsung is concerned, is there any specific model you would recommend for my purposes and size range? Would S-PVA do a better job at photo editing than TN? What specific model?

Thanks again.
Leaving affordability aside you have to step up to a 30" to get an IPS these days. There are a few professional models in the 20"-22" size that use IPS but they aren't well suited for the tasks that most of us would use them for...and paying more than $1k for a monitor that small really doesn't make sense.;)

edit- just remembered that there are a few 26" monitors that use IPS...one is Planar but I don't know the model # or anything about Planar in general.

You're looking at the eizo's and necs, apple Cinema Displays and the planar mentioned is thePX2611I've got this one it works very well for me for graphic designer.

Edit: also check tft central out for sifting through the model/panel types (note there is some question about accuracy the Acer AL2616 in this list though)

I have 2...A Dell 2007WFP and an NEC 20WMGX2 and I paid about the same as a higher end 22" TN panel costs...which means both were just over $300. If you're rocking an E-machines with a Pentium D and 512 megs of ram....there is no reason to go overboard with a monitor. What I don't understand is people that build a monster quad core, SLI, Raid 0 rig and then come in this subforum looking for a cheap 22" under $200. To me thats kind of like putting Walmart discount tires on a Ferrari..

Right... but the majority of people are Dell/e-machine owning average joes and the people with 'monster' rigs are in a tiny minority, one that would never have been able to affect the pricing of IPS panels so they're more available. That's why they never really succeeded and TN did.

You got a 20" IPS based screen for just over $300 (they're about $440 here for the Dell and $600 for the NEC) whereas I just paid $450 for a 24" VA based screen. They're too expensive for the relatively small advantage you get from them.

To the OP: For graphic design etc. Eizo are probably the ones to go for but you pay through the nose for the luxury.

Eizo only uses ips on some of the special monitors for graphics use ($!). Most of the lineup is handpicked samsung s-pva material.

edit- instead of "stupidity" I should have said ignorance...most consumers don't know or care about different panel types. As long as it's big and the price is right..it will sell.

ABSOLUTE FUCKING TRUTH.

People spend loads of cash on a uber Quad Core/SLI rig and then save a few extra bucks on a shitty TN panel that is a good "gaming" LCD. Not only has it caused a glut of TN panels, it has DRIVEN UP the cost of S-IPS panels since they now have a premium stigma attached. Ridiculous.

Leaving affordability aside you have to step up to a 30" to get an IPS these days. There are a few professional models in the 20"-22" size that use IPS but they aren't well suited for the tasks that most of us would use them for...and paying more than $1k for a monitor that small really doesn't make sense.;)

edit- just remembered that there are a few 26" monitors that use IPS...one is Planar but I don't know the model # or anything about Planar in general.

I just picked up a 24" NEC S-IPS this week, and I believe if you luck out on the Dell panel lottery you can get one from there as well. It cost a lot but as a CRT snob (finally put my 19" Sony G400 to rest) I couldn't get anything else. It sits next to my 24" iMac which as far as I know uses the same panel. I couldn't be happier with these displays.

Totally agree with you.

... Rolls Royce is a crappy car, drove one once, handled like an oil tanker.

As to the cost, that was the main issue. The cost of the refurbs allowed me to justify getting the better AS-IPS screen in the nec 20wgmx2 monitor.

Unfortunately, while people may care for the difference, if the pricepoint is too high, there is nothing to be done except settle for lesser. But such is life. But if it is within my power, I will gladly reward the better engineered machine.

Back