Samsung 213T question...

Leright

2[H]4U
my dad just bought 3 of these bad boys and I fell in love...so I had to get one for myself...well, tomorrow circuit city should have my special order in. However, I am reading that Samsung released a newer 21.3 inch monitor with a 16ms response time, and I may cancel my order with CC and get one of those...any comments? What is the model name of this new unit, and how much is it? I cannot seem to find any information on the internet about the unit...

Another question...does the new display sacrifice image quality to have the lower response time like most 16ms displays, or does it compare to the beautiful 213T? I'd rather have IQ over speed, so if this is the case I will just stick with the 213T, since 25ms is good enough for me.

I think you'll find that monitor of which you speak has not officially been released in the US yet...I cannot comment about Europe :cool:

The good old 210T is going to be replaced, most stuff is every year. I can tell you that the 213T is the best monitor I’ve ever owned and I won’t be replacing it anytime soon. Dead accurate color once you calibrate it (you need to calibrate any monitor) and I don’t get ghosting in UT2003 or 04 or Doom3.

I guess the big advantage if you want the 213T it’s available now and you should be able to find it for $930 to 980 depending on silver or black casing. Silver used to cost more, now the black one does, go figure.

I’m sure the new one with faster screen will be nice, especially coming from Samsung. Obviously no one will know until it gets here and no one knows the price. My guess is that the replacement will come in at a lower list price then the 213T because that’s been the trend, although the next model up, the 24” is still holding at about 2K, they might not want that big of a price difference.

Welp, that didn’t help you one bit, did it? ;)

Either way you can’t loose, at those sizes Samsung is hard to beat.

Saw the specs on the new Samsung and would have liked to wait to get one but needed a monitor now so went with a 213T (silver). The faster response time and slightly finer dot pitch were appealing but I’m happy with the 213T as it stands. I had considered the Samsung 243T and HP L2335 but when push came to shove I couldn’t justify $1500 to 1900 for a monitor. Also looked at the Viewsonic 201s, the 20” and 23” Apples.
Not wanting to have to deal with dead pixels and shipping back and forth via the mails I bought mine at a local CompUSA ($999 with $100 rebate). Good news no bad pixels, screen looks great, colors are excellent. Using DVI to DVI some of the front panel adjustments are locked out but are adjustable in video card properties. Backlight seems fine. If I put a black background on the screen and turn out the lights in the room at night I can see two areas along the top that are a tad lighter but with anything else on the screen it’s totally imperceptible.
I was a little hesitant about the 25ms response time but fired up Unreal 2004. Tried it at 800x600 with no visible ghosting then set it to 1600x1200 with some of the bells and whistles turned on: no ghosting. Then again I’m not running a nuclear-powered-over-clocked CPU paired with a liquid-oxygen-cooled video card so that might have something to do with it.
P4 2.6 C
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
ATI AIW 9700 PRO
1 GIG Corsair 3200 CL2 RAM

firey-eyez said:
is that the normal 213T? it looks slightly different than the ones ive seen before
edit: just the black one looks different...i had only seen silver ones b 4

Your right, even in person the black looks like a totaly different unit. It's not though, same everything.

Quick Draw McGraw said:
Saw the specs on the new Samsung and would have liked to wait to get one but needed a monitor now so went with a 213T (silver). The faster response time and slightly finer dot pitch were appealing but I’m happy with the 213T as it stands. I had considered the Samsung 243T and HP L2335 but when push came to shove I couldn’t justify $1500 to 1900 for a monitor. Also looked at the Viewsonic 201s, the 20” and 23” Apples.
Not wanting to have to deal with dead pixels and shipping back and forth via the mails I bought mine at a local CompUSA ($999 with $100 rebate). Good news no bad pixels, screen looks great, colors are excellent. Using DVI to DVI some of the front panel adjustments are locked out but are adjustable in video card properties. Backlight seems fine. If I put a black background on the screen and turn out the lights in the room at night I can see two areas along the top that are a tad lighter but with anything else on the screen it’s totally imperceptible.
I was a little hesitant about the 25ms response time but fired up Unreal 2004. Tried it at 800x600 with no visible ghosting then set it to 1600x1200 with some of the bells and whistles turned on: no ghosting. Then again I’m not running a nuclear-powered-over-clocked CPU paired with a liquid-oxygen-cooled video card so that might have something to do with it.
P4 2.6 C
Asus P4C800 Deluxe
ATI AIW 9700 PRO
1 GIG Corsair 3200 CL2 RAM

Just posted this for another user:

This site is down and dirty but will get you a really good start.

http://www.ltlimagery.com/monitor_calibration.html

If you are using DVI remember your brightness and contrast controls are non-functional. To get true black and white your going to have to go into your controls and raise or lower all three colors which until you get good black should be changed equally. Once you get your gray scale set you can adjust tint using the individual colors controls on your monitor.

After that it’s all software for touch up.

Hope that helps

Back