Samsung 215TW

nice, Karan. what video card do you have? i'll be getting a new card soon (PCIe, here I come!!)

wish i had a place to put my momo wheel :(

thanks senakun :) well i have an x850xt but it struggles a little with these new sims at 1680x1050 so i think an upgrade might be needed pretty soon to keep up. i think i need a new desk soon...there was just enough place with my previous 19" LCD with with this widescreen one its bit of a tight fit :(

i hear ya. the 215TW looked HUGE first time i brought it home. i have an x850pro modded to xt and some game won't even work (yes, i STILL play Midnight Club 2!!) if i don't use Catalyst 6.2 or 6.4. also my comp will freeze when changing video settings. sometimes garbage on screen, and sometimes just a locked up PC and VPU meltdown.

so i'm gonna get an x1900xt and a motherboard, haven't really decided, but i think i want a crossfire board, the asus or the dfi rd580 one (maybe even abit). one week of thinking it over and still coming back to same question: do i REALLY wanna pay that much for a motherboard? or i could just get the dfi ultra-d sli board for $70-80 cheaper (alas, crossfire, it was not meant to be.) maybe i should order the card first....:rolleyes:

yeah. a wider desk would make sense, but i really like your corner setup. looks nice and neat too. i got wires everywhere :(

sena

The Equalizer said:
Do you wreckon this can stand up to the new NEC 20WMGX2? If so I'll probably buy this.

I've seen this monitor and I would have to say no even a chance.

This morning I played some Halflife 2 Episode 1 on my Samsung 215TW @ 1680x1050 with everything set at high and it looked gorgeous. Afterwards I made myself a sandwich, sat down to eat and read some webpages and...what the hell is THAT?

vertical, single-pixel-wide blue line a bit right of center from top to bottom on the LCD. DOH!

I rebooted and the line was present during the whole bootup process. so much for a temporary windows problem.

I changed the source to my cable box that I have plugged into the s-video input and the line is still present. so much for a videocard issue.

Called Samsung, after telling him my problem he started getting my information such as my address, email, etc. and put me on hold for a couple minutes. When he came back he had me find the model code and serial numbers from the back of the LCD and told me about the advanced exchange process. He told me that it normally takes 7 to 14 business days for me to receive my new monitor and suggested I contact the store I purchased it from to see if they have any in stock or if they can get a replacement faster. If they can't I'll just call Samsung back and have them go through with it. I hope my replacement doesn't suffer from this in the future as well.

Other than this I love the monitor so far.

All of you are making me want this monitor so badly! Only 10 more days before my b-day. I can wait (its been a month so far)!

Since I have a dual monitor setup I am thinking of accompanying the 215TW with some 17" secondary montior. I saw a Viewsonic one on the egg today for ~$180.

I'm thinking of going dual monitor as well. I have a spare 17" and 19" lying around.
Problem is the resolutions will be slightly different. The 215tw runs at 1050 pixels vertical resolution, while regular monitors are 1024. I know you can set independent resolutions for each monitor in a multiple monitor setup, but just wondering how the desktop will look in such a situation. Anyone have experience to share?

ScaryFast - I've seen mention of a red vertical line on some other forums/sites with the 215TW :eek: . Hopefully, this isn't a problem with a particular lot# of these. Still looking at this one vs. Dell 2007wfp (after banding fix) and/or VX2025wm.

DaRkF0g said:
All of you are making me want this monitor so badly! Only 10 more days before my b-day. I can wait (its been a month so far)!

At least you only have to wait 10 more days. I've got to wait until August.

I've gotten so used to my laptops 1680x1050 native res display that I can't go back to anything lower.

I was playing some battlefield 2 when I got home today on my 215TW with the vertical blue line as mentioned above, and now I have TWO vertical blue lines, heh. I hope my replacement doesn't ever do this.

I guess I should game a little bit, I've gamed maybe 2-3 hours since buying this monitor a week or so ago, i've watched a lot of downloaded tv episodes though, so far so good

I bought my first 215TW from Office Depot and the backlight bleed was pretty noticable. I went to BB and grabbed one and it has none that I can see. I was amazed. So, the other one is going back tomorrow.

Edit: Well after comparing the 2 the second does have some backlight bleed. Not quite as bad as the 1st one I got, but it's there. Only in the corners, doesn't form an X pattern. I guess that's just how 'they are'. Maybe you could fine 1 in 10 that doesn't have it. The pictue is still incredible. I did look at the LG and almost got it, but realized it has no height adjustment nor as many features such as adjustments. From what I've gathered here the LG 20.1" is suppose to be good. Is it really any better?

I hope I don't see any blue or red lines, but it does sound like Samsung has great support.

zero002021 said:
At least you only have to wait 10 more days. I've got to wait until August.

I've gotten so used to my laptops 1680x1050 native res display that I can't go back to anything lower.
:p I have found the same thing too. After using the ~15" widescreen on my laptop, at the same resolution I find my CRT's to be somewhat bothersome. The LCD is so much brighter and text is a lot clearer as well. I also dont mind slight backlight bleed. The only thing that has me concerned is the banding that some of you are reporting, but Ill have to see it myself. I think regardless the 215TW will be a keeper.

gman said:
I bought my first 215TW from Office Depot and the backlight bleed was pretty noticable. I went to BB and grabbed one and it has none that I can see. I was amazed. So, the other one is going back tomorrow.

I hope I don't see any blue or red lines, but it does sound like Samsung has great support.

I bought the 215tw from Office Depot a couple of days ago. I am having the same problem with the backlighting. I was planning on geting the NEC 20wmgx2. Instead I will take this monitor back in the morning and give it another try at another store.

Instead I will take this monitor back in the morning and give it another try at another store.

Good luck. I even tried a completely different store and it still had the bleeding, though not that bad. I think we may have to accept the fact that these montior have some backlight bleeding.

If the backlight doesn't bother you and has no negative impact, why make a big deal over it and return a monitor you would otherwise enjoy? Luckily, neither my laptop or desktop display have any backlight problems, but still, if the only way you can see it is by maxing out the brightness on the Samsung and turning all the lights off, don't you think you're being a little extreme?

thats the prob though. No local stores carry the NEC. You have to special order it or buy it online.
Does anyone know what store carry it in toronto, canada?

Karan said:
just picked it up yesterday and very pleased with it so far. no dead pixels either woo hoo! got it for $599.99 + GST from Futureshop. Quite happy with the way it handles 4:3 games too automatically (dont need to go into the OSD as it switches to 4:3 automatically when launching a game in a 4:3 res) . Since ATI's drivers seem to have some trouble with that its quite handy.

^^^^ Karan what game is that? Looks fun.

Luckily, neither my laptop or desktop display have any backlight problems,

Well, you tell us not to make it a big deal yet you say this. What up w'd that? :eek:

gman said:
Well, you tell us not to make it a big deal yet you say this. What up w'd that? :eek:

I'm saying if you can't see the backlight bleed unless you force the monitor into settings you would never use in the first place (max brightness), why complain? It's like your just being whiney rather than having a legitimate reason for why the monitor is no good.

I'm saying if you can't see the backlight bleed unless you force the monitor into settings you would never use in the first place (max brightness), why complain?

Where in my post did I say I put everything to max to force it? I can see it in the "internet" preset which is not very bright.

Actually after using the monitor intalling Vista Beta 2 the backlight is very minimal. I'm keeping this one.

Anyone else got the monitor yet?

gman said:
Where in my post did I say I put everything to max to force it? I can see it in the "internet" preset which is not very bright.

Ok, sorry, maybe it's not you, but many forums members were doing that and it really got on my nerves. Some people just like to complain about anything and everything you know?

I saw this monitor today at Office Depot (unfortunately they had it set on a lower/non-native res.), and I must say it seemed damn nice. (Colors, angles, etc. Looked similar to my current monitor.) Im currently using a Dell 2005fpw and was wondering if any of you who currently have the 215tw, have had a 2005 in the past? I'm trying to decide whether or not this would be a decent upgrade.

I wish they had it set on something other than 1024 X 768. (Can't make much of a decision based on that.)

Ive discovered the same thing. No matter which store your go to its always set to 800X600 or 1024X768. Also as you said, it still looks damn nice at even those low resolutions. I couldnt locate any stubborn [dead] pixels either.

I was so close to geting a Dell 2005 last christmas, but after I read all the backlighting issues which plagued them I decided against it. Looks like I finally found a monitor which fits my liking. Now to see it on my desk is the next step! :p

rekojenasni_787 said:
anyone else with the left side being brighter than the right side issue for this 215tw?

I have just recently got hold of a Samsung 215TW and I have also got the problem where by the left side of the screen seems to be brighter than the right, can anyone else confirm if they are have also got this problem, you may have it but not realized yet :p (sorry), for example look at the grey color in this box (that has my post in it) does the left side in any way look a lighter shade of grey as mine does, especially near the left edge :confused:

lowrider007 said:
I have just recently got hold of a Samsung 215TW and I have also got the problem where by the left side of the screen seems to be brighter than the right, can anyone else confirm if they are have also got this problem, you may have it but not have realized yet :p (sorry), for example look at the grey color in this box (that has my post in it) does the left side in any way look a lighter shade of grey as mine does, especially near the left edge :confused:

same here... OutofExile has a gateway 21 inch (same Samsung panel) with the same problem. i usually look at the screen at from an angle slightly to the left of the samsung logo so i won't notice it as much. i had 2 other samsung with the same problem. i kept this one because i got $150 off and can live with it (barely!!!) at that price.

senakun said:
same here... OutofExile has a gateway 21 inch (same Samsung panel) with the same problem. i usually look at the screen at from an angle slightly to the left of the samsung logo so i won't notice it as much. i had 2 other samsung with the same problem. i kept this one because i got $150 off and can live with it (barely!!!) at that price.

I can't believe this, apart from that this screen is really nice but the left side being brighter is really bugging, are they all like this then ?

lowrider007 said:
I can't believe this, apart from that this screen is really nice but the left side being brighter is really bugging, are they all like this then ?

I had the same problem with my monitor (215tw) about a week ago. I returned it for a refund.

Would be nice to hear from someone that owns a 215TW that can confidently say that their screen does'nt suffer from having a brighter left hand side ?,

Another big issue seems to be the input lag, do they all suffer from this also, I can actually see my mouse lagging as I move it around the screen, A quick blast on UT2004 online also confirms my aiming is also way off b-cos if this lag :( , have to say I'm contemplating going back to my 19inch LG

I have the display and all I can say is "WOW". I have no issues with it. I have had it for two weeks and it looks great to my eyes. I use the monitor to work from home and connect it to my laptop. So it really gets a good workout staying turned on all day. My main criteria in a good display is excellent readable print and it does the job very well.

gwizrus said:
I have the display and all I can say is "WOW". I have no issues with it. I have had it for two weeks and it looks great to my eyes. I use the monitor to work from home and connect it to my laptop. So it really gets a good workout staying turned on all day. My main criteria in a good display is excellent readable print and it does the job very well.

Can you do me a favor then and look at the grey color in this box with my post in, look at the screen centrually, right slowly to the left, does the grey color get light in any way ?, I really feel that all 215TW's suffer from this but alot of people don't notice it.

Lowrider
I tried it and really didn’t notice a difference. FYI, I was one of those people that could not stand the old Sony Trinitron displays that had the thin line running across the screen.

One thing to keep in mind and I have this problem is that different computers will cause a display to react differently. I am not saying a display cannot have its faults, but I’ve had different results which I tend to contribute to the processor and video cards being used.

I own the Samsung 215tw, Samsung 191T, Dell 2405 and getting ready to purchase a Dell 2407.

The reason I purchased this display is because my laptop connected to the Dell 2405 via VGA cable (no DVI connector on the laptop) would be crisp and clear one day and blurry the next four days. I would not do anything and the monitor would automatically do a re-adjustment on its own. The problem was posted in news groups and never had a fix to the problem. I have the Dell 2405 monitor connected to one of my other desktop computers and it looks beautiful with no issues.

gwizrus said:
snip.....

Cheers, thanks for that, I'll keep exchanging then until I get a good one, we really need more 21" w/s panels on the market, I find the 20" models just a tad too small coming from a 19" 4:3

Well, mine does too. I'm not sure if it's actually the screen or the coating causing it to look lighter on the left. It also looks lighter on the right, but not quite as much. If I lean to the right the right side looks ok and the left is lighter. If I lean to the left the opposite happens, but it also stills seems brighter on the left after leaning.

Damn, I like this monitor, but not sure now. Maybe I'll try the Samsung 204b or the LG L203WT. I agree we need more options at 20 - 21 wide screen.

Well putting brightness issues aside, there's still the problem with input lag on mine, it fact it was ruining my gaming that much that I've now went back to my 19" LG L1950S :( , straight away my accuracy has improved and I am enjoying online gaming again, ut2004 and farcry mostly :) , the 215TW has been a good learning experiance for me,

I am now pretty much clued up on panel techknowledgys and will not be making the same mistake again, only days ago I thought all tft's would pretty much peform the same and the hardest choice would be picking out what style and size screen you want, I've learn't now thart I not the case, you have to do a little bit of homework first on whats under the hood.

I'm gonna sell my 215TW and get an NEC one instead, just a bumma that thier only 20"'.

WOOHOO!

Early birthday present!

This monitor is HUGE! I cannot believe how large it looks to my CRT. Even my CM Stacker is dwarfed sitting next to this LCD!

Quality? AWESOME! 0 dead or stuck pixels. I dont know how some of you can complain about bad pixels. They are so damn small you would have to literialy press your nose against the screen to see them.

Backlighting? Its pretty good, although it is slightly brighter in the corners (I have the "X" effect). They only way you can see it is if you apply a blank screensaver. Tuning the brightness and contrast helps reduce it. I used Avia to tune mine. For those who care I found 74 is the magic number for contrast and ~90 for brightness. Oh, and thats another thing. On 100 brightness this thing is like looking at a lightbulb. It lit my whole room up!

Theres only 1 disappointment that I could find so far. That is the reported gradient stepping. With a heavy gradient as a background there is a slight stepping effect. Its more or less like horizontal striping across the monitor. Again, it is only noticeably with still images. The solution is to use a low gradient background as your wallpaper.

Overall I am satisified with this monitor. I am 99% sure I am going to keep it unless something malfunctions with it- which in that case I would pick another 215TW up.

I hope everyone else is enjoying their 215TW! :)

PS. I fired up my favorite game (UT2K4), and jammed my resolution up to max. I kept my textures set to high, not highest, and ran AA at 2X. With those settings, playing Torlan I was geting playable framerates on my 6800 Ultra. I didnt get a chance to look at them, but I would guess they were running near 40fps- a playable framerate in my book. I know with other games I will have to knock my resolution down a few levels to make them playable, but hey thats the best I can do with a single 6800 Ultra!

Back