Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Hi Kaushama, please post some more feedback, someone else said "He said it's blurry and not sharp so he's going to return it and stick with his 226BW", whos knows it could have been set at the wrong resolution.

Thanks

My 226CW is fine! There was some color unbalance right out of box and I calibrated it with my PANTONE HUEY PRO. Now the colours are vivid and accurate. Its very sharp and driven by an ASUS AX1650PRO. May be due to ATI chip, which is known to have better 3D and video performance.
I am 100% happy with it.

Yes please Fleat!

One of the best things about the 226BW S panel was its "out of the box" calibration
will be disappointing to know I need to buy a calibrator to enjoy the HC aspects
of this screen

I just purchased the Samsung 226cw and the HP w2207. They are both hooked up side by side right now and uncalibrated. The out of box state for the Samsung is a freaking joke... it needs some SERIOUS work I think to look decent. It is pushing reds HARD and also has a horrid viewing angle.... Right now I have them in clone mode and running some tests. The HP on the other hand looks dead sexy right out of the box... but I don't know if I can handle the glossy screen.

They both are light years ahead of the 2 acer AL2223W's I was using though. If requested I could take pictures of them later this evening with a crappy point and shoot canon. My SLR is getting fixed right now :*(

Hi there,

I bought a Samsung 226BW monitor yesterday and took a gamble on the exact model it would be. On the sticker at the back, it says it's a "226BW [R]". On the hidden service function menu, it comes up with the panel info of "AMLCD 220M1" and the version of "M-ME22W0BAa-1001". Could this be a Samsung "S" model?

Hidden-Menu.jpg
Panel-Sticker.jpg

I've taken a few pictures which people might be interested in for comparision.

Monitor-Glow.jpg
Colour-Difference1.jpg
Colour-Difference2.jpg

I am reasonably happy with my monitor apart from the consistancy of colours across the whole screen. The bottom of the screen seems to be far lighter than the top. You can see this quite clearly in the two images with the standard Windows blue background. Is this normal? Are other peoples monitors like this?

I am reasonably happy with my monitor apart from the consistancy of colours across the whole screen. The bottom of the screen seems to be far lighter than the top. You can see this quite clearly in the two images with the standard Windows blue background. Is this normal? Are other peoples monitors like this?
I went through 3 226BW's of various panel types, and they all did that. Sitting further away seems to make it disappear.. my best hypothesis was that it's the vertical viewing angle of TN panels, and sitting closely enough makes it so that the top and bottom areas of the screen are at drastically different angles.

The bottom of the screen seems to be far lighter than the top. You can see this quite clearly in the two images with the standard Windows blue background. Is this normal? Are other peoples monitors like this?

Yeah, as fas I know that is completely normal for 22" TN panels.

Hi there,

I bought a Samsung 226BW monitor yesterday and took a gamble on the exact model it would be. On the sticker at the back, it says it's a "226BW [R]". On the hidden service function menu, it comes up with the panel info of "AMLCD 220M1" and the version of "M-ME22W0BAa-1001". Could this be a Samsung "S" model?

You win the lottery. From what I could find AMLCD 220M1 does refer to the newer S panels (the [R] is unimportant.

http://www.behardware.com/articles/667-1/samsung-226bw-a-and-s-series-the-verdict.html

still think your all beating your selves up over this why not just get the Gateway 22"
it more inputs and scaling most important it has a 1:1 mode :confused:
my gateway looks great and has no back light bleed that i can see
nice and sharp good blacks and bright whites and good color even for a TN

Two monitors side by side:

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3183.jpg

Samsung 226CW

IMG_3187.jpg

HP W2207

IMG_3189.jpg

Black Screen on both screens

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3191.jpg

This is supposed to be DARK PURPLE.... damn red push on samsung.

IMG_3192.jpg

Dark purple on HP W2207

IMG_3194.jpg

Dark purple on Samsung

IMG_3193.jpg

Side by Side Dark Purple again..

IMG_319522222.jpg

LCD Panel test web page.... this picture doesn't show what it actually looks like.

IMG_3199.jpg

Okay now that you have taken a look at the pictures.... let me explain some. I have tried everything to remove the heavy heavy red push from the Samsung but it remains!. I am starting to think I have a defective monitor. I have tried manually adjusting colors using the monitor and the nvidia control panel with no luck. Thinking it was the DVI cable and or port I swapped those with the same results. The camera got the LCD test page all wrong... as the actual outcome was the HP being dead accurate on color and the Samsung was WAY off.

I really wish the color was more correct on the Samsung because the gloss on the HP gives me a headache over long periods of time.

ouch.. I have the 226BW and I think it looks better than that =/. I have the S version so I dunno about the A and C panels though.

Taking and posting those pics must have taken awhile Thx for taking time to post pics.

@Fleat pics

Many thanks for the pics, initial inspection of the vista desktops doesnt look too bad, but the pure colour comparison does show how bad the samsung is....... disappointing.

I'm also hoping its a defection model., hope you can get an exchange.

Well I swapped out the 226CW for a different one and the really heavy red push went away (sort of)... but the picture was still equally un-impressive to say the least. After an hour of adjusting I gave up....

I don't think it helped that this particular one had 3 dead pixels and some wicked hour glass backlight bleed. The colors came out slightly better but still it just didn't "pop" so to speak so back it went.

Needless to say the HP's viewing angle and the damn glossy screen giving me a headache are frustrating me as well. I am hanging onto this monitor for now and in a couple weeks we will see how satisfied I am with it.

I also purchased a LG 246WP to add to the collection. I am really impressed so far. I didn't need to do much tweaking out of the box and the difference in picture quality from the 22's is amazing. The color is still slightly so ever off, but I think I could deal with that. It has one dead pixel which sucks but I can deal with it. I believe this one may be a keeper.

Thanks Fleat for the photos ! It is nice to finally see w2207 side by side with 226cw (which i still have not seen in any store yet). Btw, can you please check if your w2207 is using LM220M1 or LM220WE1 please ? Just go to the service menu by turning off the LCD, HOLD DOWN the MENU button while turning on the w2207. Once it is on, just press Menu and you will see the Title is highlighted in Green and a new option 'Service' is now available. Go to service and you will see the Panel Info.

Thanks in advance Fleat ! Thanks again for the photos !

Mine says

ITMD2. 2
MT220WW01-V1

This is at the bottom of the service menu... is that what you are looking for?

I was looking for this : MT220WW01-V1
According to this forum's W2207 Official Thread, the W2207 should be using Samsung's LTM220M1 or LM220M1. Mine is using LM220WE1 which is LG.Philips (LPL) Panel. and yours if i am not mistaken is Innolux (http://www.innolux.com/) Panel, the same being used in ViewSonic vx2255. It is a suprise that Innolux Panel looks better than Samsung's LM220M2 Panel. Weird.... but true ! However i did read from some German site that Innolux (Part of FoxConn) Panel is infact better then Samsung's Panel. Well, i am happy with my LPL Panel, and i kinda starting to like the Glossy Screen....... Which is good i think, so i dont have to change LCD anymore and stick with this one..... I am even considering a 2nd W2207 ! Just hope i will get the same LPL panel so they wont look too much different when sitting side by side.... What do you think ? and are you still keeping your W2207 ? Thanks again Fleat, so nice of you to provide those photo and info.

No problem, I help out when possible.

On the monitor note I am not really sure yet. I am for sure keeping the LG 24" I just bought, but I will hang onto the HP for another couple weeks before I make a final decision on whether or not it goes back.

I was really considering having the second monitor in portrait mode because I have to do a lot of research and read scientific research papers, but the viewing angles of a TN panel make that EXTREMELY hard to use in portrait. The HP has a very good picture for a TN panel, but the glossiness after a while does give me a headache as well... so we will see.

On the flip side I did just order two ergotron lcd arm mounts which should come in handy.

Yo whats up dudes...ummm I just got the 226bw a few days ago and hooked it up to my 360 and so far I'm happy with it. Its better than the 710n I was using before fo sho. Anyways I wanted to ask if getting an hd dvd drive would be worth it or would it be just a waste of time if I don't have an hdtv?

Could you recommend a better monitor for hd movies and gaming?

And what is backlight problems?

Thanks a lot. :D

Yo whats up dudes...ummm I just got the 226bw a few days ago and hooked it up to my 360 and so far I'm happy with it. Its better than the 710n I was using before fo sho. Anyways I wanted to ask if getting an hd dvd drive would be worth it or would it be just a waste of time if I don't have an hdtv?

Could you recommend a better monitor for hd movies and gaming?

And what is backlight problems?

Thanks a lot. :D

haha...Read the rest of this thread.

What are you serious? C'mon dude I don't have the time to read the whole thread.

Just hook it up with the goods if you got the goods lol.

"HD" basically is anything above a 640x480 resolution. So in a sense, your monitor (and every monitor) is an HDTV. Movies played on an HD-DVD drive connected to an Xbox that's connected to the 226BW will display in HD.

Backlight bleeding is the light that leaks through the screen from the "backlight" that lights your display. This is a quick example:

http://www.kevo.org.uk/bleed.jpg

Hope that answers your questions. But remember, you can always Google it or search the thread.

I picked up the Ergotron Neo-Flex LCD stand that others in this thread have mentioned (http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10051&productId=142074&cmArea=SEARCH) to add to my 226 BW but I'm having problems mounting it. The holes line up on the stand but there are no threads in the screw holes on the back of my monitor. The screws are also too small for the holes. I think I could buy bigger screws and create my own threads in the soft plastic but I don't remember anyone saying they had this problem. Has anyone used a replacement stand on their monitor and where the holes threaded? Thanks in advance.

I picked up the Ergotron Neo-Flex LCD stand that others in this thread have mentioned (http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...atalogId=10051&productId=142074&cmArea=SEARCH) to add to my 226 BW but I'm having problems mounting it. The holes line up on the stand but there are no threads in the screw holes on the back of my monitor. The screws are also too small for the holes. I think I could buy bigger screws and create my own threads in the soft plastic but I don't remember anyone saying they had this problem. Has anyone used a replacement stand on their monitor and where the holes threaded? Thanks in advance.

Hey joe,

Dont know if this is the same as your problem, but I had a similar sounding problem when I was first attaching my 226BW to my neo-flex stand.

Turned out I used the wrong screws for attaching that square mounting plate during initial assembly of the stand. I used the 4 larger screws of the 8 screws that came with it when I was supposed to use the 4 smaller screws for that. The larger screws are meant for attaching the stand to the LCD. Hope that helps.

I was at Best Buy a few days ago. I saw they had both the 226BW and CW. The BW was a S panel. I was looking at the pictures that they were going through and the BW was pushing red pretty good. Both monitors were selling for $349 which is surprising since the BW is an older model and you can see the CW if much better.

Since the HP monitors were shown, those are really clear, but I didn't like how much glare they have. :(

u know one thing i can't understand is that there is no CW's anywhere up here in canada. i was waiting out for it and got sick of it, but i just don't get that. whats holding them up?

Hey joe,

Dont know if this is the same as your problem, but I had a similar sounding problem when I was first attaching my 226BW to my neo-flex stand.

Turned out I used the wrong screws for attaching that square mounting plate during initial assembly of the stand. I used the 4 larger screws of the 8 screws that came with it when I was supposed to use the 4 smaller screws for that. The larger screws are meant for attaching the stand to the LCD. Hope that helps.

Outsider thanks for the help. I only had to attach the base of mine to the stand so I don't know what square thing you're referring to. I used only 2 screws for that so I know I used the right ones. My problem is all the screws I have are too small for the holes on the back of my LCD and the holes for attaching it on the back of the LCD have no threads (i.e. it's just smooth plastic inside with nothing for the screws to attach to). It does seem to be soft plastic though so I could probably get bigger screws and create my own, but that seems sketchy.

Outsider thanks for the help. I only had to attach the base of mine to the stand so I don't know what square thing you're referring to. I used only 2 screws for that so I know I used the right ones. My problem is all the screws I have are too small for the holes on the back of my LCD and the holes for attaching it on the back of the LCD have no threads (i.e. it's just smooth plastic inside with nothing for the screws to attach to). It does seem to be soft plastic though so I could probably get bigger screws and create my own, but that seems sketchy.

It's the actual part of the stand that touches the back of the LCD. I had to attach it when I got my stand, maybe now they are coming pre-assembled? Here's a pic of the back of mine:

226bwbackhl8.jpg

The square black part is what came separate and I had to attach.

Anyways, the holes in the 226BW do have threads, on mine at least. Maybe you just need to try larger screws? Dont go too large though, I wouldnt want you to screw through to far.

Wow Outsider, thanks for the effort and the pix. My stand is completely different and did come with the square part attached.
Ergotron001.jpg

And I took a picture of the beginning on the holes on the back of my panel (sorry hard pic to get). I think behind this plastic there is nothing so I assume this is where the threads would be.

Ergotron009.jpg

I have an e-mail in to Samsung so I'll see what they say but if I get nothing I'll just try some screws that are the same length as the included ones but thicker. Thanks for the help.

Hy
I bought a Samsung 226CW and is there a way to keep the settings for the color like mild/brilliant? Its always set back to custom when i turn off/on the display.

@ Pegleg Joe,

Holy crap they must have made a new version of it. I had no idea, sorry 'bout that.:p

This one's mine:
http://www.amazon.com/Ergotron-33-294-CBL-Neo-flex-LCD-Stand/dp/B00080DW5M

and it is currently unavailable at the few sites I just looked it up on. Maybe it is being phased out. Too bad, it is a nice stand.

I'd say just try some bigger screws, since we have the same LCD and mine did have threads deep down in the holes. Good luck.:)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
@ Outsider

Yeah it seems like a nice stand if I could just attach it. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks for the help.

I hear alot of this A and S panels of this monitor but how are C panels?

My local stores have C on theres and said S is hard to come by. Are these C versions no good?

[CaM]Spoon;1031377117 said:
I hear alot of this A and S panels of this monitor but how are C panels?

My local stores have C on theres and said S is hard to come by. Are these C versions no good?

The only version of the BW you want is the S. The rest are crap. If you can afford it, get the CW, much better.

Slightly OT, but does anyone know if the 206BW (20") will be updated too?

For that matter did it suffer from the panel lottery as well?

this is a very interesting discussion. just wanna join in at this time as I am looking to either replace or complement my 19" Westinghouse WS LCD.

I looked at BB and they are apparently no longer carrying the 226BWs. Not that I am disappointed or what.. but whats the main difference between the CWs and BWs? I can get the BW for approx. $50 cheaper than the CW.

The only version of the BW you want is the S. The rest are crap. If you can afford it, get the CW, much better.

I wouldnt call the C panel crap. I've got one and am pleased with it. Sure it sucks that Samsung advertised one thing (the S panels) and gave it's consumers something else, but the specs are close enough that it really shouldnt matter. Unless you're unnecessarily anal, of course.

[CaM]Spoon, if you're interested just buy it, try it out and return it if you're not satisfied.

I dont like returning opened products.
Also i noticed at futureshop the samsung monitors had HORRIBLE color. They demo this forest with dragons and stuff in a dark setting with glowing lights. THe samsung monitors didnt show any green hue in the darkness which made everything look so dark. I played with setting and its all fine. The LG panels looked way better and the HP looked absolutely KILLER! but they are 100 dollers more.
I think i might lean towards the lg 22" with 5ms as its 50 dollers cheaper then 2ms version. How much of a difference could it be.

Bestbuy has it on sale for 329 and then i can buy a girftcard for 20 dollers cheaper then its worth so i can pick it up for say 299. And they had a open box which can save even more (if i should even trust that) which is really nice but seeing those lack of colors compared to the other lcd monitors the samsung was such a dissapointment. Im not sure what monitor i want now

Slightly OT, but does anyone know if the 206BW (20") will be updated too?

For that matter did it suffer from the panel lottery as well?
I bought one a couple weeks ago after selling my 931BW S panel on Ebay for quite a lot and ended up with an A panel. The colors are much more on target than the C panel in the 226BW I tried before it. I decided things looked too stretched out on the 226BW anyway though so that's the main reason I decided to go with the 20 incher. After reading threads all over the net about the 226BW I decided to complain to Samsung and see if I could get anywhere in the hopes of getting lucky and being sent a 206BW S Panel if they even make them anymore. Well support was actually pretty friendly when I explained to them the colors just weren't right and apparently I have a replacement lcd on the way. Whether it will be an S Panel or not has me very nervous lol. I'm hoping they don't send me something worse than the A Panel. They said it is coming straight from the factory not one that has been stocked in a warehouse somewhere. I'll let you know whenever I get it.

Thanks a lot, I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

I do think that 20" widescreens are considerably less prone to typical 22" problems, du to no stretching with the resolution. At least I hope so, as I'll be getting one in a month or two ;)

Back