Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

I could be missing something, but doesn't the xbox 360 have a 1280x768 option over vga? There would still be scaling, but it seems like if you picked that resolution, it would at least output in 16:10 and thus maintain the proper aspect ratio? Like I said, I'm not sure if it works that way, though.

Here's a quickie. I'll use a tripod and better lighting tomorrow.

excellent photography work!

question, is that viewsonic i see next to it a 2025wm? if so could you do a side by side of them (or at least tell me which you think is better since they were the two non-ips widescreens that i was considering for my NEC alternative).

excellent photography work!

question, is that viewsonic i see next to it a 2025wm? if so could you do a side by side of them (or at least tell me which you think is better since they were the two non-ips widescreens that i was considering for my NEC alternative).

The monitor to the right is a Viewsonic VX924 19" LCD. Thanks for the boost though. I worked to take that photo. The hike wasn't easy.

agh, i was hoping it was the popular viewsonix 2025 gaming monitor (MVA panel i think?), but then, how does your new samsung compare to your vx then?

it appears to be bigger as well, any reason you got this instead of the 20" version? (not even sure why they make two versions with the same panel 2" apart with the same native resolution).

I just picked one up at CC today. I have it sitting next to my 2005fpw. The colors looked like crap at first but after some tweaking they look decent. The colors on my dell look richer, i'll try messing with the nvidia color settings next to correct that. There is a little bit of blacklight bleeding but not too bad. I have my brightness set to 55 and contrast at 85. I'll probably never get a console so fixed ratio and more inputs doesn't matter.

yea, the colors do look like crap on the 226bw compared to a 2005fpw out of the box. i came up with some pretty good settings that fixed it. if i remember, i'll post what i used to tweak the color tonight.

I bought this monitor at Circuit City over the weekend because I've been getting the itch to replace my Viewsonic 2025. Even though the VX2025 does a fantastic job when it comes to ghosting in fps games my super analness felt I could get a lcd that could do better. I was going to buy the NEC 90GX2 till I ran up on this monitor while browsing the web.

Out of the box (no adjustments) the Samsung blew my VX2025 outta the water when it comes to looks. The picture was much brighter, more colorful, vibrant. I guess I could adjust the VX2025 some more but the initial impression was fantastic. I do have one stuck pixel (red/greenish?) in the bottom right but it doesnt play in my vision often so not a negative to me. Its size looks very impressive on my desk compared to the VX2025. I was thinking about getting the Dell 2407 due to PC Gamers review but saving $300 for 2" if fine by me. The one thing I did notice is the VX2025 pixels (?) looked tighter making the games graphics (World of Warcraft in particular) look a little more smooth. Is the 22" a stretched 20" panel? I thought I've seen this mentioned about other lcd panels. Still not a negative in my book since the 226bw excels in overall look and if I didn't have them sitting next to each other I'd never known.

Ghosting........ I reeaaallllyyy wish I still had a crt to compare with becuase I still feel (could be anal syndrom ;) ) theres something going on there but I can't swear by it. When I bought the Samsung 215t it was a dog. Great picture but terrible ghosting. The VX2025 was definately superior in response time. I did a side by side run of UT2004 and BF2. The 226bw and VX2025 are so close I had a very hard time deciding at first. After multiple game runs Im going to go out on a limb and say that Im pretty sure the 226bw did handle ghosting better. Even with that it could be my fondness of the 226bw nudging my decision to its side. However, I'd still love to compare a super fast lcd (BenQ FP93GX, VX922 or 90GX2) to it.

Final Verdict: As of now IMHO the 226BW is the clear winner and a nice upgrade from my VX2025. My analness about ghosting still has me wondering whether I'd be better off with one of the 19" lcds mentioned. In all honesty I think the only cure for my ghosting worry is to go back to a crt. Even so Im loving the 226BW and as of right now theres no way Im taking it back. :D.

Is the 22" a stretched 20" panel? I thought I've seen this mentioned about other lcd panels. Still not a negative in my book since the 226bw excels in overall look and if I didn't have them sitting next to each other I'd never known.
yes, basically that is what it is. the 20" and 22" have the same resolution. which means they have the same number of pixels. you will notice the larger dot pitch on the 22" inch. (from what i have read) that is not the size of the pixels, but the spacing in-between them on an LCD. therefore, the 22" monitor's pixels are spaced further apart to fill the larger space.

I bought this monitor at Circuit City over the weekend because I've been getting the itch to replace my Viewsonic 2025. Even though the VX2025 does a fantastic job when it comes to ghosting in fps games my super analness felt I could get a lcd that could do better..

I am trying to decide between those same two monitors. I like the VX2025 because it is a P-MVA which means it has true 8-bit color. I am having trouble finding a place to buy it though. Where did you buy yours? Is there any input lag? Is viewing angle a problem?

Wow, there are definitely some purists on this forum, eh?

I guess, being into my 30's now, I have a somewhat different perspective on life in general. As it relates to this monitor, it just is what it is. If it isn't what you want, then don't buy it. If you need 1:1 mapping, find another monitor that fits your needs. Really, the hostility and such is unnecessary.

Samsung doesn't suck. This monitor just doesn't fit your needs. It is quite a capable piece of equipment at a really good price point. Sure, you can find other monitors close in price that have 1:1 mapping, but then some of their other specs don't meet this one either, so it's a trade off.

Nvidia drivers have that option in them, while ATI don't appear to. So, does ATI suck? No.. it's just not what you need.

If you had a really high end monitor with all the bells and whistles sitting next to this 226, then it would probably look like junk. But it costs a 3rd of the "best". I was looking at the BenQ 241 before this.. that's a $900 monitor. This a $350 monitor.

It just is what it is. There's no reason to hate on it. If you have some constructive comments, then place them. But saying a company sucks because it doesn't meet your needs is sort of sophomoric.

I'm not a purist, really. I have a high def plasma in my living room and if I need to watch a movie or play my Xbox at the absolute best resolution, there is no way I'm plugging it into a 22 inch PC widescreen LCD.

If you need to play games non-stretched, just find a different monitor. Or deal with it being stretched... simple fix!

It is easy for us all to get caught up in specifications and in doing so, really scrutinize those aspects which are a little lacking. But, try to see the big picture. There are many positive traits about this monitor. See it for what it is and then make your decision.

If I nitpicked every little thing that might be wrong in my choice of a wife, I may never have married the most amazing woman I've ever met. In fact, I might never have gotten married at all. Nothing is perfect. Not monitors, nor women.

See the big picture and make your choice!

very well said. why would someone spend $399/$599 and play his/hers games on a 22 inch lcd monitor?

I am trying to decide between those same two monitors. I like the VX2025 because it is a P-MVA which means it has true 8-bit color. I am having trouble finding a place to buy it though. Where did you buy yours? Is there any input lag? Is viewing angle a problem?

From Office Depot but they only carry the VX2035 now.

yea, the colors do look like crap on the 226bw compared to a 2005fpw out of the box. i came up with some pretty good settings that fixed it. if i remember, i'll post what i used to tweak the color tonight.

That would be great, I still can't get it to look as good as my Dell. What is everyone else setting your display to?

Finally, Lesnumeriques.com has reviewed the 226BW...

http://translate.google.com/transla...fe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

In terms of image quality, response time and other relevant categories they have declared the 226BW to be the best 22" LCD on the market. In terms of ergonomics and styling the 226BW gets very low marks (and understandably so).

Ok, it's not a very in depth article but Lesnumeriques is best know for their side by side LCD comparison page. They've put the 226BW's results up so you can compare it to other LCDs in its class. Here is a link comparing the 22BW to my current monitor, the VX2235...

http://translate.google.com/transla...fe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

Based on all the reviews, posts and general buzz I am definitely going to return the VX2235 and pick up a 226BW.

I bought this monitor at Circuit City over the weekend because I've been getting the itch to replace my Viewsonic 2025. Even though the VX2025 does a fantastic job when it comes to ghosting in fps games my super analness felt I could get a lcd that could do better. I was going to buy the NEC 90GX2 till I ran up on this monitor while browsing the web.

Out of the box (no adjustments) the Samsung blew my VX2025 outta the water when it comes to looks. The picture was much brighter, more colorful, vibrant. I guess I could adjust the VX2025 some more but the initial impression was fantastic. I do have one stuck pixel (red/greenish?) in the bottom right but it doesnt play in my vision often so not a negative to me. Its size looks very impressive on my desk compared to the VX2025. I was thinking about getting the Dell 2407 due to PC Gamers review but saving $300 for 2" if fine by me. The one thing I did notice is the VX2025 pixels (?) looked tighter making the games graphics (World of Warcraft in particular) look a little more smooth. Is the 22" a stretched 20" panel? I thought I've seen this mentioned about other lcd panels. Still not a negative in my book since the 226bw excels in overall look and if I didn't have them sitting next to each other I'd never known.

Ghosting........ I reeaaallllyyy wish I still had a crt to compare with becuase I still feel (could be anal syndrom ;) ) theres something going on there but I can't swear by it. When I bought the Samsung 215t it was a dog. Great picture but terrible ghosting. The VX2025 was definately superior in response time. I did a side by side run of UT2004 and BF2. The 226bw and VX2025 are so close I had a very hard time deciding at first. After multiple game runs Im going to go out on a limb and say that Im pretty sure the 226bw did handle ghosting better. Even with that it could be my fondness of the 226bw nudging my decision to its side. However, I'd still love to compare a super fast lcd (BenQ FP93GX, VX922 or 90GX2) to it.

Final Verdict: As of now IMHO the 226BW is the clear winner and a nice upgrade from my VX2025. My analness about ghosting still has me wondering whether I'd be better off with one of the 19" lcds mentioned. In all honesty I think the only cure for my ghosting worry is to go back to a crt. Even so Im loving the 226BW and as of right now theres no way Im taking it back. :D.

wow it's almost as if you read my post earlier wishing someone woukd compare these two. i really wish you had a camera, then you could just take a picture of them running side by side in dark room and let us also do the comparing with you (aside from the ghosting of course, but i'd really like to see how they compare with PQ with my own eyes).

i'm interested in what you said about the stretching, as yes others have mentioned it. But many have said people wouldnt notice it, at the same time the identicaly monitor IS available for 20" at a somewhat lower cost, so i dunno, one wonders if, even if you decide the 226BW is the best, would getting the 206BW be a better choice all around?

Two?? No wonder there aren't any in stock for the rest of us ;P

How did you get them at that price? An online coupon, or a store sale?

Looking forward to any photos/opinions!

step1: buy a coupon on ebay to use online for $1.98
step2: buy the first monitor online for local store pick up and use the coupon
step3: print out the coupon
step4: go to the local store and ask if they have an extra one while you are there
step5: when they say 'oh yes!' use the coupon you printed to buy another one at the same sale price

:p

Alright, thanks. Just bought a coupon and planning on buying the screen online for in-store pickup the instant they are back in stock in NYC.

wow it's almost as if you read my post earlier wishing someone woukd compare these two. i really wish you had a camera, then you could just take a picture of them running side by side in dark room and let us also do the comparing with you (aside from the ghosting of course, but i'd really like to see how they compare with PQ with my own eyes).

i'm interested in what you said about the stretching, as yes others have mentioned it. But many have said people wouldnt notice it, at the same time the identicaly monitor IS available for 20" at a somewhat lower cost, so i dunno, one wonders if, even if you decide the 226BW is the best, would getting the 206BW be a better choice all around?

I have a camera but trust me I won't be able to take a picture that will satisfy. I'm terrible with them. Plus its my wife camera. Ill have to hunt it down, the cable will be lost, batteries dead, mem card full. No don't want to deal with it sorry.

I actually wanted the 206bw but couldn't find it for sale locally. Circuit City had the 226bw so I thought what the heck. I have 14 days to give it a whirl. I may still consider the 206bw just to save some money. Any idea when they are going to be be for sale?

I agree, I don't think you would notice the stretching unless you have a setup like I currently do. I still have them sitting next to each other and difference is very slight to my eyes. I'm perfectly content looking at the 226bw. As of right now the over all better looking desktop out weights the stretching IMHO. This opinion may change. I'll do some more tweaking on the VX2025 and see if I can improve it. I still havent did anything to the Samsung It looked great right out of the box.

Just wanted to point out the only reason I even looked for these 2 models was because of Maximum PC magazine. Their recent issue has reviews of a couple 20" LCDs. The 206BW and some HP ranked highest. The NEC 20WSX2 (think thats right) surprisingly ranked lowest out of the 5 or 6 models they reviewed. The 206BW is now their "Best Budget LCD". So if your trying to decide between the 206BW and 226BW but worried about the stretched image of the 226bw just get the 206bw. Your mind will be at ease and you've saved some money. :)

I've been looking for a good gaming monitor (being the fastest FPS game UT player for more than 5 years :D) for some time and wrote some very short summaries about the ones that I've tested. They are in order from the worst to the best for my needs.

Primary needs
* Unreal Tournament 2k4 (let me say the fastest FPS game :D)
* office work
* some movies, photos etc general use

Acer 19" Wide
* terrible colors
* terrible viewing angles
* response time seems good but 1st 2 points just make it useless monitor anyway

VS VX2235WM
* colors are rather poor
* viewing angles average/low
* too big for my workplace and has no height adjustment
* not good for UT, too slow because of its size. Hey this is just a stretched 20''

Phillips 200W6CS
* very good colors and viewing angles
* great for movies and photos
* unfortunately rather slow for UT

940BW
* Fine colors and viewing angles
* good for some movies and photos
* Pretty good for UT, better than most of others that I've tested, probably #2 for gaming from my list :D
* this is a nice monitor but since there are better 20'' I wouldn't choose it for permanent use

LG L204WT
* colors are fine but worse than that of MVA/PVA/IPS panels
* viewing angles are fine
* generally good for UT, no major lagging or any other discomforts
* good for occasional movies and photos

VX2025WM
* similar to phillips (no wonder both have more expensive panels) but better for gaming
* excellent colors and viewing angles
* great for movies and photos
* Fine for UT, a bit worse than LG but I'd still prefer this one due to better colors

And finally the winner is 206BW (226BW smallest brother)
* simply amazing for UT, the fastest LCD I've ever had, no lags whatsoever
* good colors and viewing angles
* good for movies and photos
* yes colors are still not perfect but since it is so good for gaming and does well for my other needs I am keeping it without questions

I have a suspicion that 226BW will be a bit worse due to its size but should be better than at least VS2235

I hope this helps :)

I've been looking for a good gaming monitor (being the fastest FPS game UT player for more than 5 years :D) for some time and wrote some very short summaries about the ones that I've tested. They are in order from the worst to the best for my needs.

I have a suspicion that 226BW will be a bit worse due to its size but should be better than at least VS2235

Kiwi, where did you get teh 206bw and how much? I enjoy a good round of UT2K4 myself and its one of the games Ive used on the monitors I've bought/tried. It plays well on the 226bw Im testing right now.UT plays better on it than the VX2025 I have so Im pretty pleased. I'd love to try the 206bw but cannot find them for sale yet.

I got it for $370 but everything in Europe is more expensive (20% tax) than in US. Where are you from?

You're retarded. The reason people buy LCD's is because of the size, portability, and they're just more appealing. If you think you need an S-IPS LCD, stfu and buy a CRT.

ooh, a bit touchy are we? Get off your damn high horse. I had the 226BW and next to my dell 2005fpw it looked like crap. I spent many hours trying to calibrate it, changing settings on the monitor and nv control panel. I ended up taking a $50 restocking fee to return it. You will simply not get great colors from a TN. For the rest of you get a damn sense of humor. I've asked for tweaked settings 3 times with no response, so that is my response.

ooh, a bit touchy are we? Get off your damn high horse. I had the 226BW and next to my dell 2005fpw it looked like crap. I spent many hours trying to calibrate it, changing settings on the monitor and nv control panel. I ended up taking a $50 restocking fee to return it. You will simply not get great colors from a TN. For the rest of you get a damn sense of humor. I've asked for tweaked settings 3 times with no response, so that is my response.

Anyone looking for color accuracy wouldn't touch an LCD anyway.

Why would you find it "slow"? Do you mean to move the crosshair across the screen? A little sensitivity adjustment should fix that up fine.

Anyone looking for color accuracy wouldn't touch an LCD anyway.

True, however S-IPS is noticeably better looking than TN, as far as 226bw and 2005fpw go. The little ;) means I was JOKING. So all of you who are getting your panties up your butt chill out. The 226bw construction feels cheap, no 1:1, cheap TN panel, no adjustability with the stand. You get what you pay for. If all you want is a cheap monitor to play games with then so be it. If you want not exactly accurate, but good image quality then you need to pay for it.

p.s. I'm not a flame troll, I didn't believe that I would notice a difference between TN and S-IPS, but there is a noticeable difference for me.

Back