Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

well when you think about it CC has an oline 30 dollar price break, they probably took the rebate off already for you you all things considered, it's probably more than just a coincidence they currently have 30 dollars off the MSRP.

also yeah patty i was going to say that the brightening was probably because of bleed, but i didnt own one yet so i wasnt completely sure about that since it would have meant an oddly huge bleed (which it clearly has though).

Im just paranoid that Im gonna go exchange it and the new one's gonna have the exact same problem...

After excitement from posts in this thread, finally saw the 226BW at Circuit City. Sweet design, overall quality solid BUT noticed a red hue cast over greens and whites. Really noticeable when I set wallpaper to a black and white image...clean black/white on all the monitors except the 226 had a red cast. Persisted with autoadjust (monitor hooked up via VGA) and setting all controls to flat/neutral.

Any one else experience this? Could it be an (inferior) AOC panel rather than Sammy panel?

Thanks,
LW

After excitement from posts in this thread, finally saw the 226BW at Circuit City. Sweet design, overall quality solid BUT noticed a red hue cast over greens and whites. Really noticeable when I set wallpaper to a black and white image...clean black/white on all the monitors except the 226 had a red cast. Persisted with autoadjust (monitor hooked up via VGA) and setting all controls to flat/neutral.

Any one else experience this? Could it be an (inferior) AOC panel rather than Sammy panel?

Thanks,
LW

i forget but do PC panels have warm and cool settings? cause that could just mean you need to set it to cool or neutral. or it could just be the crappy display method at the store on vga.

I think I found the culprit to the brightness issue I was having... After running a calibration wizard that someone posted earlier on this thread, I decided to take some pictures of my monitor. Well...heres what showed up...

2u4pyck.jpg

Looks like backlight bleeding afterall...Ive never taken pictures of backlight bleeding before... but there doesnt seem to be any art behind it. This is ridiculous. Can I take this monitor back to Circuit City and have it exchanged for another of the same kind? I just bought this like 2 days ago...

Ouch! Thats bad. I'd run back with that and pay a 15% restocking fee if they forced me. My new 226bw has pretty much zippy back light bleed.

Thanks,
LW

Dont think its an AOC panel. I just got mine from CC a couple of days ago and its a Samsung planel.. Cant the red cast be corrected in the video card color options?

Didn't play with vid card but this was one of those multiple displays set up with one PC for display purposes...why would only the 226BW show red cast if its vid card related?

Went through the whole thread and didn't see the answer;

Will the 225BW fit on the 226BW? I'd REALLY like height adjustability.

I'll probably end up buying one of these for use on my laptop through VGA (I know, no DVI until I upgrade..)

One other person commented that he wasn't able to notice the quality loss since all 22"s are just stretched out 20"s. Can anyone else attest to this? Side by side, realistically, is it a visible difference assuming they were the exact panels but different sizes?

I saw where several people have asked about 1 to 1 mapping but I can't find anyone who said yes or no...does the monitor do 1 to 1 or not?

I saw where several people have asked about 1 to 1 mapping but I can't find anyone who said yes or no...does the monitor do 1 to 1 or not?

I thought i read somewhere in this thread (could have been another thread/forum) that it doesn't have 1:1 but not many panels do anyway in the budget range. Not a fact from me so don't slay me ;) I'm just using it for pc gaming and from what I read the Nvidia drivers will scale it for me if need be so no biggie. My VX2025 didn't do 1:1 either from what I read but never encountered anything that bothered me.

Didn't play with vid card but this was one of those multiple displays set up with one PC for display purposes...why would only the 226BW show red cast if its vid card related?

It's unlikely that it was vid card related and was most likely a screen setting. My monitor came out of the box on the cool side, and that was quickly remedied by adding red via onscreen controls.

One other person commented that he wasn't able to notice the quality loss since all 22"s are just stretched out 20"s. Can anyone else attest to this? Side by side, realistically, is it a visible difference assuming they were the exact panels but different sizes?

I'm sure IF the two panels were side by side, AND you were standing relatively close to the panels which were the exact same distance away, then yes, by comparison the 20" would appear slightly sharper. However, the beauty of the 22" is that if you stand farther away, now the 22" looks just as sharp as the 20" did from closer, but now the 20" looks too small.

So a 22" inch is good for having more people watch something together, say a movie, or so that you can sit a foot or two farther away, which drastically reduces eyestrain. And without the 20" there next to the 22" for comparison, you'd never even imagine that the 22" wasn't the sharpest possible dot pitch.

The screen does it for your PC if your video card will do it, but the screen will not do it for your gaming console.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, reports seof 226BW's using AOC panels rather than Samsung originals are appearing, See:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1157788

Isn't this a bit like buying a Lexus you test drove and then finding out the one you bought actually swapped in a Kia engine? Seems like it should be regulated/illegal.

Is there any way to tell if its Sammy or AOC from the box, as CC may not be thrilled with me breaking open the box to check back panel and then not buying if its AOC?
Was considering buying online (ZipZoomFly) but prob. not a good idea if you can't verify what you're gonna get!

Also, is it clear that the AOC is inferior, in other words is this really a quality issue? Looking to pull the trigger on this purchase in a few weeks, but don't want a second-rate version.

Thoughts?

everyone seems to be happy with them though, and if they are "all' made with this AOC panel then i'm not sure what the problem is, since it's getting such a positive reception.

Will someone please help me with the setting. What brightness/contrass and all that other good stuff be adjusted too. I purchased the monitor, and I love it. What is backlight bleeding and how do I see if mine has it

The switch to AOC panels is terrible news! Of course, now that I am panicking and worried the 226BW is sold out at my local Circuit City! I should have gotten one weeks ago. This is what I get for holding out for price drops...

Looks like we might have another panel lottery in the works now... First Dell, now Samsung.... :mad:

They are playing their games with us and we are giving them money, haha they are smarten than we think! The same with the dead pixel policy...

everyone seems to be happy with them though, and if they are "all' made with this AOC panel then i'm not sure what the problem is, since it's getting such a positive reception.

No, the point is that many people surmise the initial batches of 226BWs, the ones that received stellar reviews overseas and in enthusiast forums, were made with the new Samsung panel, not the AOC one. Now that the word is out and demand has been created Samsung probably cannot keep up with the orders so they inked a deal with AOC for an inferior TN panel to supplement their own (or replace it outright, who knows).

Ncix is backorder for a month, and I can't find any local store that has it in montreal.

Wtf? Cant get that in canada?

that would be one blurry image.

i assume you are talking about the four darker patches? maybe something pressed on the screen at some point and damaged those pixels. when you were installing the stand on the monitor, did you lay the panel face down? were you careful? or it could have happened at the factory????

No, the point is that many people surmise the initial batches of 226BWs, the ones that received stellar reviews overseas and in enthusiast forums, were made with the new Samsung panel, not the AOC one. Now that the word is out and demand has been created Samsung probably cannot keep up with the orders so they inked a deal with AOC for an inferior TN panel to supplement their own (or replace it outright, who knows).

yes but do people know this because they have been noticing a big difference between the same models? if so though that would indeed suck, i decided to probably get this monitor over an IPS because i didnt want to deal with the affordable dells lottery nonsense.

I just exchanged my first 226BW for another 226BW due to a dead pixel, and also because i wanted to see if the 2nd exibited the same brightness irregularity from top to bottom that my first showed.

it does. it changes with the viewing angle...so it seems that the viewing angle on this monitor is extremely small.

as far as response time, it is great for gaming.

but i must ask...would the gateway 22" be nearly as good for gaming?

yes but do people know this because they have been noticing a big difference between the same models? if so though that would indeed suck, i decided to probably get this monitor over an IPS because i didnt want to deal with the affordable dells lottery nonsense.

Well the impression I got from TestRossa's posts in the other thread is that there is a qualitative difference between the Samsung panel and the AOC one.

I'm in the same boat as you. I am really hoping one can tell which panel is present by the label on the box.

i dont think they ever make it that obvious (since with dell you had to turn the monitor on and check the menu to know).

and plus they like, just came out, it seems a little soon to do this though. still annoying that any monitor i seem to pick outside of the NEC does this. Maybe i should just go and get the viewsonic 2025, at least with that they never switched it.

I'm sure IF the two panels were side by side, AND you were standing relatively close to the panels which were the exact same distance away, then yes, by comparison the 20" would appear slightly sharper. However, the beauty of the 22" is that if you stand farther away, now the 22" looks just as sharp as the 20" did from closer, but now the 20" looks too small.

I have this setup right now. The 226bw and vx2025 next to each other and yes I agree 100% with this comment. If you want to be anal there is a very very slight difference. But its not a negative IMHO since Im just gaming and I would not notice it at all if I didnt have them sitting next to each other and then "squinting" to compare the pixel difference. Personally I digging the better over all quality of the samsungs display and Im pretty sure Im keeping it. If someone can tell me how to take a close up picture of the displays with a Canon digital camera I'll give it another try so you can see for yourselves. My attempts so far turn up either blurry or have flash in the pic. I also need an easy place to post them for you.

What I find nice about this display is you can actually go to CC buy it and try it out and simply return it if you dont like it. Unlike a lot of other screens you have to order online.

******** Update****
So looks like I have a great lcd other than one stuck pixel I don't notice unless I look for it. I'm not seeing any of the issues some posters have mentioned or photographed. It handles FPS very well and has a great picture for gaming. Im not into photos or video so can't comment on that aspect. I guess my thought is what alternative is there to this panel and in its price range. The only one off the top of my head is the 2407 and thats a couple hundred more right?

Will someone please help me with the setting. What brightness/contrass and all that other good stuff be adjusted too. I purchased the monitor, and I love it. What is backlight bleeding and how do I see if mine has it

Just read through any of the forum threads here and you will soon discover what backlight bleeding is. But, who cares? If you can't tell that your screen has it without knowing what it is, then it is clearly not a problem for you. There is little need to invent problems for yourself and then be dissatisfied about something you never would have otherwise noticed.

I have this setup right now. The 226bw and vx2025 next to each other and yes I agree 100% with this comment. If you want to be anal there is a very very slight difference. But its not a negative IMHO since Im just gaming and I would not notice it at all if I didnt have them sitting next to each other and then "squinting" to compare the pixel difference. Personally I digging the better over all quality of the samsungs display and Im pretty sure Im keeping it. If someone can tell me how to take a close up picture of the displays with a Canon digital camera I'll give it another try so you can see for yourselves. My attempts so far turn up either blurry or have flash in the pic. I also need an easy place to post them for you.

What I find nice about this display is you can actually go to CC buy it and try it out and simply return it if you dont like it. Unlike a lot of other screens you have to order online.

******** Update****
So looks like I have a great lcd other than one stuck pixel I don't notice unless I look for it. I'm not seeing any of the issues some posters have mentioned or photographed. It handles FPS very well and has a great picture for gaming. Im not into photos or video so can't comment on that aspect. I guess my thought is what alternative is there to this panel and in its price range. The only one off the top of my head is the 2407 and thats a couple hundred more right?

so you have the 206bw the 226bw and the vx2025 next to each other? since the "same setup" would have been the 20" and 22" samsungs next to each as they are the same monitor.

as far the VX2025 though i wasnt sure which way you meant the difference you noticed went.

Ok so I have my 226bw and it looks awesome ! Since this is my first LCD (coming from 21" Sony CRT) I have what may be a dumb question; Why the hell can I not get anything more than 60hz. refresh rate ? I am using DVI , have a 6200 LE vid card..Yes this card sux !
But it can handle any refresh rate out there. I am running 1680x1050 at the moment. I have tried others...No difference in refresh rate choices. I have installed the driver, rebooted all that. I don't even have any other choices but 60hz. Am I missing something here ? Ouch my eyes !!! :cool:

"since" it's your first LCD i should remind you that pretty much every LCD since their inception has had a base rate of 60hz, they operate differently from CRT's, so your "ouch my eyes" comment is a bit unfounded, as the effects that CRT's have are not present in LCD's at that refresh rate.

so you have the 206bw the 226bw and the vx2025 next to each other? since the "same setup" would have been the 20" and 22" samsungs next to each as they are the same monitor.

as far the VX2025 though i wasnt sure which way you meant the difference you noticed went.

No, I don't have a 206bw not sure where you saw that... I thought about it and newegg now sells it but the difference in price is less than $100 and Im spoiled by the bigger 226bw panel now. If anything I'd have to get another 22" or go to a 24".

Well the impression I got from TestRossa's posts in the other thread is that there is a qualitative difference between the Samsung panel and the AOC one.

I'm in the same boat as you. I am really hoping one can tell which panel is present by the label on the box.

I checked this out for you guys. The letter is not on the box. I had to look at the sticker on the back of the display to see the "S" on mine.

i dont think they ever make it that obvious (since with dell you had to turn the monitor on and check the menu to know).

and plus they like, just came out, it seems a little soon to do this though. still annoying that any monitor i seem to pick outside of the NEC does this. Maybe i should just go and get the viewsonic 2025, at least with that they never switched it.

Spincut, why don't you get the 206bw? Seems to be the latest and greatest samsung and you won't have to worry about the stretching issue. You were the one concerned about that right :)

I may be selling my vx2025 soon. I haven't decided if I'm keeping it our not. Ill keep you in mind if your interested ;)

Today i decided to go to circuit city and buy the sammy 226BW.I bought it and when i got home you wont believe what i found inside!All the correct assesories except for the display and stand.I opened to see a 14" flat panel by KDS.I was shocked!!!I returned to cc as soon as i can and having problems exchanging it.They said i would have to talk with a higher up in the mourning.Im thinking that they think i switched montitors(which i didnt do and trying to make a fast buck.I have enough in my checking account to buy 20 of those sammys if i wanted too.I didnt tell them that!ill wait till i see them in the mourning.Has this ever happened to anyone out there?and do you think i got a good chance of the exchange.Im venting abit!wasnt a good day.PS! the box didnt look like it was ever opened.
New Info!! The monitor include was 2002 model from KDS!Im guessing someone else wanted a sammy 226BW.

What stretch are you talking about??? :rolleyes:
The 22" has higher dot pitch than 20". My 930BF has even higher dot pitch than the 226BW... You cant say it's a stretched 206BW :) you should say it's a 206BW with higher dot pitch :D .

damn, some idiot really ripped them off. what a loser. although I guess CC deserved it if they weren't going to check inside the box after the return...

No, I don't have a 206bw not sure where you saw that... I thought about it and newegg now sells it but the difference in price is less than $100 and Im spoiled by the bigger 226bw panel now. If anything I'd have to get another 22" or go to a 24".

you quoted a post talking about the difference between the 206 and 226 and you said you had the exact same setup, so i figured that was what you meant, not having it compared to the Viewsonic 20" which is a different monitor anyhow.

and no i wasnt the one who asked about the 22 vs the 20, and they are not stretched either.

again though, comparing the viewsonic 2025 to the samsung 226 in terms of the "dot pitch detail" isn't as really as good as comparing the two identical monitors.

I checked this out for you guys. The letter is not on the box. I had to look at the sticker on the back of the display to see the "S" on mine.

what do you mean? what letter? are you saying it's just one letter that signifies the difference?

(and also so far, despite the rumor, and the fact that it seens a but soon, no one has really started complaining here about a poorer panel version, thankfully holding off any insane lotto thread.......but at least unlike the dell you can do this all in a physical store.)

Dang guys. I'm really sorry. Work has been super crazy. Budget season, major management overhauls.

Anyway, I owe you guys night shots of games as well as the more measurable lag test. The good news is that I have Monday off, so I can get this done over the weekend.

For the record, I ordered what was probably one of the first batch of monitors off Circuit City.com . Mine has the "S" designator on the back of it. Within an hour of my ordering it, it was showing "Out of Stock". I had it shipped, I couldn't wait on the stores. So..

Look for some more pics this weekend. I really do not notice any backlight bleed here. But, I'm not graphic artist anyway. Soo..

Like I mentioned before. I game, web surf and use this thing for entertainment. It is top notch as far as I'm concerned for gaming. Massive, vibrant, fast... no complaints. I've just been playing BF2142 for 4 hours or so... no ghosting, no blurring... just kick ass!

Today i decided to go to circuit city and buy the sammy 226BW.I bought it and when i got home you wont believe what i found inside!All the correct assesories except for the display and stand.I opened to see a 14" flat panel by KDS.I was shocked!!!I returned to cc as soon as i can and having problems exchanging it.They said i would have to talk with a higher up in the mourning.Im thinking that they think i switched montitors(which i didnt do and trying to make a fast buck.I have enough in my checking account to buy 20 of those sammys if i wanted too.I didnt tell them that!ill wait till i see them in the mourning.Has this ever happened to anyone out there?and do you think i got a good chance of the exchange.Im venting abit!wasnt a good day.PS! the box didnt look like it was ever opened.
New Info!! The monitor include was 2002 model from KDS!Im guessing someone else wanted a sammy 226BW.
There was a local person here where I live that had this happen to him at Best Buy. They never believed him and refused to exchange it. (He got some other old used TV inside a box he purchased).

BestBuy didn't do anything until the local TV station did a little segment on it. Funny how the media can influence their decisions so easily.

I would be fuming mad if that happened to me. And whomever did it really is a loser. Obviously he thought he was cheating Circuit City, but in reality its the next person who buys it.

Back