Samsung 226BW 22": 3000:1 Contrast, 2ms response time

Hadron,

Where in Buffalo is this monitor available? I googled it but it doesn't come up. The LG L226WA-WN is, but only in Europe. And what's the difference with the other suffixes (-WN, -SN, -BF, etc.)? The LG L226WA as a whole doesn't seem to be available in the USA. Am I missing anything? :confused:

Sylva.

Hadron,

Where in Buffalo is this monitor available? I googled it but it doesn't come up. The LG L226WA-WN is, but only in Europe. And what's the difference with the other suffixes (-WN, -SN, -BF, etc.)? The LG L226WA as a whole doesn't seem to be available in the USA. Am I missing anything? :confused:

Sylva.

Here's the LG

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084266&catid=

I'm pretty sure that's the same config as the European models, it has component and HDMI.... I'm probably gonna pick it up in the next day or two, depending if i can get some gift cards for future shop....I'm in toronto. With taxes it'll be running me about 460$ US after the discount, a little pricy, maybe i should wait???

The samsung 226bw from circuit city (in buffalo) was originially my first option, but i don't want to deal with warranty issues in case something goes wrong, and the LG panel looks like a good option....

Ok, so i just came back from FS... They had a ton of LG226WN panels for 399C and 1 L226WA panel listed at 499 but i saw the cost price and it's 369C, and it wasn't on display, just in the box. It's made in korea, don't know if that makes any difference.. But i can confirm that it has HDMI and component connections. Tmrw i'm gonna go back and check it out and see if there's any difference between the two.

The only problem is they had all the screens in the entire place linked to one signal, so the screens all looked like shit. But tmrw, he's gonna set up a DVI connection.

On another note, from the outside, i caught a glimse of the samsung 206 it's frame looks freakin sweet. It kinda reminds me of my old monitor VX2235 but without the bulky frame... It has a sweet shiny black finish, and it made the LG look terrible....

I'm thinking i want a sammy now!!! But if the LG looks good, i might just pick it up....

well i think the general consesus is that the 226BW may edge out the LG, so a review may not be necesary in that regard, as long as we can clear up that the A panels work as good as the S ones (hopefully a review would denote that).

for me its problem lies in very limited connectivity and lack of HDMI. I am gonna wait till Samsung catches up with LG connectivity and HDMI wise. I recognize that the Sammy 226 is better as far as back light bleeding and probably image quality as well. Today I again visited BB and saw a few glossy panels and again I have to admit that colors and crispness were outstanding in spite of the common source arrangement (a scandal). There was an entire step up from all other panels around them (antiglare treated). I am not harping here, just concluding. I also saw Gateway's 24" panel. Awsome, still at $680. I hope it'll get down in price once the 27 and 30" panels hit the market in quantity. It's big, but it has all the connectivity, lighting is absolutely uniform and colors great. Plus, it has a very nice widely vertically adjustable stand. Connected to an individual Intel D2 6600 2 GB machine, I was able to play with it at leisure. Did you see that Microsoft has adopted OSX's arrows, in stead of the +, - breakdown of directories, for Vista? Some Linux elemets too.

Yeah, $460 is way too much for a monitor in this category. I'd wait for sure. Thanks all for the information.

Ok! Have some pics! Warning!!! Im no photo geek.
LG-L226wt vs Sammy 226BW
I set settings on each to match as best as i can.Pics takin with a 1.3meg camera hightest setting.Sorry!best i can do for now till i get my new camera.A set of 1 1680*1050 wallpaper and 1 backlight bleed.
Updated Again!! New Pics

interesting that they're on the same settings, it looks like samsungs brightness or color is higher (and i think somewhat better as a result).

did you get an A or an S? (since if someone can post satisfyingly good picture comparisons using an A that would really settle this issue with that).

its an S! I forgot to check the color settings.The lg has alittle more of a bluish tint which made the pic look alittle more darker.I fixed that!They both look pretty much the same in brightness and color.no change in the backlight bleed.Update! pics corrected

Everyone, please include input lag tests with your lcd reviews if possible. We still need input lag test on an A panel version of Samsung 226BW. Also, tests in this forum show mixed results for input lag on the S panel compared to a test from a review site showing extremely low input lag. Could this be due to a slower video card? Anyone else notice that?

Input lag test on page 7 of this thread: (Lag 0ms with only 10ms accuracy)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1144130&page=7

Input lag test on page 25 of this thread (S panel): (Ave Lag 10.2ms)
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1144130&page=25

Review Site Input Lag Test: (Ave Lag: 1.6ms)
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=41&ma2=36&mo2=170&p2=1708&ph=12

Procedure (in case you missed it):

Setup your LCD screen side by side with a CRT screen in "clone" mode on the same pc. Take photos with your digicam of the running millisecond timer (linked below) on both pcs in the same picture. Record 10 images and record the differences between the timers on each screen. They should be the same every image, but they are not! The lcd lags behind, but how much? Thats what we want to know. Thanks for future tests!

InputLagTest Links:

Millisecond Online Timer: http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html

Test Site: http://www.flatpanels.dk/monitortest_inputlag_dk.php

its an S! I forgot to check the color settings.The lg has alittle more of a bluish tint which made the pic look alittle more darker.I fixed that!They both look pretty much the same in brightness and color.no change in the backlight bleed.

hm that's too bad. I mean, it seems like alot of people are on the consensus that the 226BW may be better than the LG 226, now we just need to find out if they all behave the same.

I've been looking around desperately, but can't find this monitor in stock anywhere. Is it really that hard to produce? :confused:

I just did a real quick monitor lag test and I had no difference and the LCD actually ahead of the CRT. I only took two pics because others had already done it. I have an S panel. If you're really desperate I could do it again.

hm that's too bad. I mean, it seems like alot of people are on the consensus that the 226BW may be better than the LG 226, now we just need to find out if they all behave the same.

I think it was tom's hardware display forum where i read the lg226 has better color reproduction than the Samsung226BW a panel...

I've had the monitor for a couple of days now, and I am enjoying it a good bit. I really need to tinker around with the colors and such a bit, but so far it looks nice. Very vibrant colors, and the brightness is top notch. No apparent input lag in games (CoD2, CSS, Supreme Commander, etc). Only problem I can detect is some banding. The banding is not very apparent, but it is there and a bit of an annoyance if you catch it. Could just be how I configured my colors, though.

And I have an S panel via DVI if you are wondering.

Well, I got the "A" panel from Circuit City on Saturday (before having read this thread). To put this in perspective, I am coming from a good Sony Trinitron CRT and I use a Lenovo (IBM branded) LCD at work. I also have a 37" Olevia HDTV which I've owned for 6 months. I am using a Radeon x800 video card.

Here are my impressions in a nutshell.

No dead/stuck pixels. There is backlight bleed, but it doesn't seem too bad. I have more at the bottom of the screen than anywhere else. I did several tests with 3 different online stopwatches and input lag is very slight if existent at all. It was immeasurable with the camera I used but some of the blur of the CRT was slightly ahead of that of the LCD.

Like other LCDs I've used, this is very bright. Maybe more than the others. I really need to turn the brightness down or else it starts to bother my eyes. With Dynamic Contrast, it sets the brightness all the way up and you cannot make picture adjustments. It looks really good at first (especially in the store) but it is tough to use for any period of time and you notice that colors are a bit oversaturated.

DVDs look like crap. I'm not sure why. I've used this computer with WinDVD to play DVDs on my Trinitron via VGA and on my HDTV via DVI/HDMI. In both cases it looks very very good. Not so on this monitor. It doesn't make sense to me.

Video Games: HL2 has 1680x1050 and it looks very good. No complaints at all.

I cannot believe there is no 1:1 pixel mapping. I, personally, hardly see a point to using DVI with no 1:1. If I turn the sharpness all the way down, the picture and text are blurry. Maybe this is the pixels not mapping correctly. It looks better with the sharpness at 16, but I HATE having to use sharpness because it gives artificial edges. The halos aren't that bad here, but even so, I may return the monitor because of this.

Like all LCDs, there is a sweet spot with this monitor. Move your head up and down and you can definitely see a change in the top and bottom. Not much of an issue with side to side.

The stand doesn't tilt forward but it tilts back (it's pretty tight though). No height or swivel adjustments.

I'm still on the fence here. I kind of want to return it due to the lack of 1:1 and poor DVD quality, but I don't really think I'll find anything better for less than $700. I'd pay maybe $100 more, but there isn't much else out there in that range.

Pete

I'm also trying to decide between the LG 226WT and Sammy 226BW. Iactually like the styling better on the LG as from pix Sammy looks a little garish, but perhaps the LG is too understated. I appreciate your pix and thoughts. What is your overall impression of which is the superior 22" for everyday, real world, non-gaming use? A subjective answer is fine as you are unique in having both side by side and your views as to strengths/weaknesses would be valuable.

BTW, I hear the LG comes with a fairly useful app. on the driver install DVD to adjust display more finely than the OSD...have you tried it out?

Best and thanks for the pix,
LW

i have the gateway fd2485 next to my samsung and i can't get the 226bw to have the color or saturation that the gateway has. Can anyone post some settings?

for reference i'm using an nvidia card and the officla drivers under vista.

Well I'm in for one of these site unseen based on the comments here. Was a tough choice as the Gateway 22" panel offers USB hub, 1:1 pixel mapping, etc, but I will be using this only on a PC so the extra features are of limited importance.

Saw the 20" little brother at a local CC store and the picture shamed the other "budget" displays. Hopefully the one I get will look good and I won't feel tempted to return it.

Circuit City still shows these backordered but my panel just shipped today, will have it on Friday.

The photo where both of the monitors are taken shows that the LG is not as good in details. Can this be due to the fact that the LG is positioned lower than the Sammy and this, for TN panels, counts since they begin to wash out as one looks at the monitor from a higher angle rather than smack on the middle?

sylva! Both monitor pics,dont show the real clarity of the displays.I tried to take each monitor pic head on,The one with the two was at a distance with the height differance.I have to say that its a draw in pic quality.The lg pic i took does show a slight less quality!But as i am here looking at both monitors,Its very hard to see any difference.

Thank you to DiscDog I think (I am sot sure) was the person who told us about the Ergotron Neo-Flex LCD Stand I got this as well at Staples and works just fantastic ! with the 226BW, It can do Pivot left/right, tilt up/down or rotate screen in a very easy way.

NFLCDstnd-anim2.gif
YES! THANKYOU! i picked this up at staples and it is working very well on my 226BW. great find! BTW, the one i bought looks nothing like the picture. the base is bigger and seems custom made for the larger 22" monitor even though it says it only supports up to 20". in fact, it could handle a heavier LCD, i had to turn the "springyness" down quite a bit (after turning it up too much) to get it working with the 226BW ("springyness" refering to the height adjustment, you just lift the LCD up and down, no buttons to push).

here is a link to what i actually bought at staples... Ergotron Neo-Flex LCD Stand
33-288-CBL_back.jpg
33-288-CBL_1.jpg

Everyone, please include input lag tests with your lcd reviews if possible. We still need input lag test on an A panel version of Samsung 226BW. Also, tests in this forum show mixed results for input lag on the S panel compared to a test from a review site showing extremely low input lag. Could this be due to a slower video card? Anyone else notice that?

Grabbed the 226bw from Futureshop at Metrotown in Burnaby BC today. Unfortunately it's an A panel. There was a 206BW on display, and the Futureshop at Park Royal in West Vancouver had one too when I checked last Saturday. Both the display units were marked as S panels.

Here are a few pictures I've taken of the 226bw together with the 19' crt I've been using, running on a 7950GT, 1680 * 1050 res.

Have a blast counting the ms!

Thanks for the lag shots...polishing my math skills.

What are your impressions of the "A" panel overall? Colors/backlight bleed and perhaps some pix of the monitor with typical images on screen would be great if you have time.

Thanks,
LW

Grabbed the 226bw from Futureshop at Metrotown in Burnaby BC today. Unfortunately it's an A panel. There was a 206BW on display, and the Futureshop at Park Royal in West Vancouver had one too when I checked last Saturday. Both the display units were marked as S panels.

Here are a few pictures I've taken of the 226bw together with the 19' crt I've been using, running on a 7950GT, 1680 * 1050 res.

i'm not quite sure how to interpret that lag test (of course though almost any LCD would look somewhat laggy in comparison to a CRT even at this point in a raw benchmark.

i'm surprised that you saw a 206bw S panel on display, i thought only the 226bw's were rushed and in need of the S panel, and all the display models i had seen of either had been A (which is odd since the display is usually the first one they get i'd assume).

but anyway why do you say it's unfortunate you got an A? do you have any reason to actual feel unfortunate? granted, very few people are buying two of these and even fewer would get one of each due to that, but as far as you can tell isn't your monitor seeminlgy performing and look as good as all those who have unbroken S panels? (assuming yours is not malfunctioning in anyway).

[/IMG][/URL]

Wow, finally a canadian retailer selling the sammy, didn't see it on the FS site yet. Can I ask how much did you get it for... I was going to pick up the LG226WA but now that they have the sammy i'll wait for that....

Found the link
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10084230&catid=22335
But it's not available in Ontario yet...
499 seems a little pricey though...

Wow, finally a canadian retail selling the sammy, didn't see it on the FS site yet. Can I ask how much did you get it for

Retails for $499, I asked them to price match based off atic and got it for $449

I was thinking of going in to get the 206BW so imagine my surprise when
I saw four/five 226BW boxes at Metrotown. All of them were marked as being from Best Buy Canada West in Langley BC. Might take a picture of the box later.

There were no 226BW on display.

but anyway why do you say it's unfortunate you got an A? do you have any reason to actual feel unfortunate? granted, very few people are buying two of these and even fewer would get one of each due to that, but as far as you can tell isn't your monitor seeminlgy performing and look as good as all those who have unbroken S panels? (assuming yours is not malfunctioning in anyway).

There's a bit of backlight bleeding compared to photos I've seen of others and, I'm not too sure about the ms test, but it's mainly a quality/reputation thing. If I'm paying a premium I may as well get a panel manufactured by Samsung. That being said, I plugged it in and ran it without first determining whether it was an S or A and was happy with it. It's my first LCD so I wouldn't be able to make many comparisons anyway.

So should I exchange it for an S?

There's a bit of backlight bleeding compared to photos I've seen of others and, I'm not too sure about the ms test, but it's mainly a quality/reputation thing. If I'm paying a premium I may as well get a panel manufactured by Samsung. That being said, I plugged it in and ran it without first determining whether it was an S or A and was happy with it. It's my first LCD so I wouldn't be able to make many comparisons anyway.

again. why? Aside from a "perceived" difference in backlighting (something that seems to differ from monitor to monitor within the line anyway) it doesnt seem like it performs any different from an S panel from your account, i'm still waiting to hear what is so different about it but it sounds like it's exactly the same in essence as all of the panel technially should be.

i'm also still trying to find a store where i can see the 226 and the 206 since i want to see if the 226 would look any different in detail to me, but alot of places do not seem to display both.

I think the differences might be overblown as well. If it looks good, i would keep it...
Thanks for the Atic info... 450 is much more reasonable, I'll try to pm as well as soon as they get some stock out east.....

Can someone please tell me how good or bad it looks, when you play games at a non standard resolution like 1280x720 (xbox360 resolution) or 1440x900?

After doing some research and reading the forums here I decided that this is the monitor I wanted to get.
I ordered this from Circuit City's web site on Sunday (2/25). The monitor arrived yesterday and so far I love it. I had already made up my mind to keep whichever panel I got unless it had dead pixels. I opened the box and found that I had received the S panel. I hooked it up and ran a pixel test and no dead pixels.
This is a great monitor.

After doing some research and reading the forums here I decided that this is the monitor I wanted to get.
I ordered this from Circuit City's web site on Sunday (2/25). The monitor arrived yesterday and so far I love it. I had already made up my mind to keep whichever panel I got unless it had dead pixels. I opened the box and found that I had received the S panel. I hooked it up and ran a pixel test and no dead pixels.
This is a great monitor.

I ordered mine right after you, so here's hoping that I get an "S" version also! Unlike you mine won't arrive until Friday (hiss, boo!).

I've been following this forum thread trying to decide if this is the monitor I want to get. The A vs. S panel debate threw me off a bit, but when it comes down to it, this is still a damn nice monitor at a good price. I'm upgrading from a dying 19-inch CRT, so it's going to be an improvement regardless.

I'm happy to hear that they have them over in Vancouver, since that means there should be some here in Victoria soon, and if not I'll just order it from Van. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get an S panel, but if I don't, it's not the end of the world for me. With any luck I'll order it in the next day or two, and I'll post my impressions on here when I get it.

Thanks for the heads-up on the ATIC price at $450 too, hopefully I'll be able to pricematch it wherever I find it. Is it just me, or even when you take into account the exchange rate, it seems like this monitor costs more here in Canada? $450 is the cheapest I've seen, and that still works out to be something like $385 USD before tax or shipping or anything, which is a fair bit more than some people here have been paying for it.

It seems the general consensus is that the Samsung 226BW is better than the LG L226WT, correct? I am in the market for a new monitor soon, so do you think it's worth the 'risk' of getting an A panel, or should i get the LG monitor, or is there anything better than the 2?

Thanks in advance.

ok two more posts hoping they get "lucky" and get an "s" or "is it worth the risk" of getting A.

we still really havent determined if it matters at all and if there is a risk or if getting an S is lucky at all.

Back