Samsung 245BW-Rotation to Portrait mode

yrchachad

n00b
Hey guys, I have been a reader of this forum for a long time, but just decided to join in, so this is my first post.

Just got a Samsung 245BW. First impressions, great monitor, yes the colors change ever so slightly if I move my head by more than 12-inches. This replaced my 204T PVA panel, just sold it. Believe me, this TN is better, I compared it side by side.

The only thing the 245 lacks is the portrait mode. So I had to make it work. Now, this monitor does not have the built-in magic rotation. Who loads those bulky monitor programs anyway. I just use the ATI catalyst program to convert into portrait mode. You can also use the Nvidia program to change rotation. I use the ATI Radeon x1950 crossfire, 2 cards. OK, here's what you do. Remove the DVI cable and the power cable from the monitor. Place the monitor on a hard flat surface on a soft towel, panel side down. Lock the stand with the pin that came with the monitor. Remove the 4 screws on the back with phillips head driver. Lift out the back gently. Notice on the stand, on the inside, there is a small screw inside that prevents the rotation. Remove the screw and toss it. Assemble the 4 screws again. Lift up and Position monitor for viewing and make connections. Remove pin and life stand. Now turn the monitor to portrait mode. Change setting in Catalyst to turn left by 90°. And Voila, you have portrait mode for free. Take care guys. I had to share t0 with you.
BTW, I also had a 225BW as a side monitor, sold it due to bleeding problems. Went to 226, less bleeding problems. Then went to HP w2207, zero bleeding but screen was too glossy, never settled on it. colors were not as good as 226bw. Yes all my monitors are driven by separate cards and also are independently calibrated by Spyder2pro. Of all my monitors, 245bw has the best colors and very easy to calibrate, even though TN. Of course the 204T had best viewing angle, but I don't miss it. BTW, all my Samsungs were changeable to portrait mode using the above technique.

Anyone needs help calibrating, let me know, I'll post in another thread.

My intention was to educate on the portrait capability of the monitor not start a TN-PVA war. Just not interested in that. Best thing is to buy an LCD and study it for 2 weeks or more, before you actually will know if you really like it. If it is bad, you'll notice immediately.

I knew the 245bw can do portrait but didn't know that the 225bw used the same stand. 226bw uses a small tilt only stand though so you can't portrait with that.

Portrait mode is awesome for reading comics (I am in portrait right now on my 2007WFP).

Awesome for writing research papers and proofing Adobe PDFs. Great also for Portrait photos, if you have a dual monitor setup, and you can move all the tools to the 2nd monitor.

Back