Samsung 32" 1080p LCD TV good as computer monitor and HDTV?

Sic

Limp Gawd
Wanted to see if I could get some [H] opinions on this Sasmung 32" 1080p LCD TV. The newegg reviews appear to be largely positive towards both uses but it is always good to get a second opinion. I am currently using a Hannspree 27.5" Monitor as an HDTV and computer monitor but I am not too happy with the picture quality of my PS3 games. What do you guys think about switching to this Samsung for use as both a computer monitor and HDTV?

If the TV can do 1080p, I think it is just as good as a computer monitor. The only difference is 16:9 vs 16:10

can anybody confirm?

The samsung will work also check out the Panasonic 32LZ800 it has an IPS panel.

This is what bestbuy is for. Get to try out all the tvs you want for free.....minus time and gas to take one back and get another.

I went from westinghouse 42" > sharp 32" > samsung 40" and glad I went that route because I was not happy with the other two.

BTW, bestbuy has the 32"550 for $999 and you might be able to add a 10% coupon.

I could've sworn that Samsung monitor was $899 the last time I looked at it.

I use the LN32A650 for a computer monitor. Got it for $992. I love it :).

Also check out the Sharp Aquos 32" LC-32GP3U model. I bought one back in march and fall in love with it more and more every day. Cannot go wrong with a quality LCD TV as a monitor IMO, they are extremely versatile

As a HDTV it's awesome, best 32" I've seen. But when I used it as a monitor I really didn't like it so much. Maybe it was the input lag when surfing the web, but it just wasn't as responsive as my older 24" Dell.

I still have the TV, but I picked up a Benq G2400WD 24" which I prefer better as a computer monitor and higher resolution.

I actually purchased the Sharp Aquos 32". Its great as both an HDTV and a monitor the only thing I don't like about it is that the pixels are oriented in a zig zag fashion. This makes things look a little less sharp when used as a PC monitor, particularly text and other small things but I am nearly used to it.

I have no problems with text in red or blues like previous models and no problems with zig zaggin text. What model do you have Zic

Sharp Aquos LC-32GP1U. Red text is particularly nasty looking.

I have the 32a550 and love it; got it for $650 from ebay when they had the 25% cashback deal. If you can afford it though I would rather have gotten the A650 model; looked at one at bestbuy; looks awesome. I dont think you can lose on either samsung model; other than the sammy I hear the Panasonic is great but has some kind of buzzing issue ( I believe) I have a few PS3 games that look great on the sammy as well

Yeah people have had trouble with the GP1U and text like that. The GP3U is a completely new design and this thing is Sharp as razors

Yeah people have had trouble with the GP1U and text like that. The GP3U is a completely new design and this thing is Sharp as razors

Yep, the GP1U series had a really nasty issue regarding red and dark blue text. It's really apparent on the default [H]ardForum theme. The GP3U series fixes that issue from what I hear though.

As to the OP's question, I love the 32" Sharp I'm using as a monitor. It was also the only 32" 1080p HDTV out when I bought it, but I think you have far more choices now.

How far back do you guys with the 32" sit?
My desk is only about 2 feet deep so I'm afraid that a 32" will turn out too big.

My face is about 3 feet away from the screen and it is a little big for me. I plan on mounting mine on the wall soon which should afford me another 6 inches of depth or so. Then I think it will be just about perfect.

How far back do you guys with the 32" sit?
My desk is only about 2 feet deep so I'm afraid that a 32" will turn out too big.

My general rule is 1:1 ratio between the size of the screen and the distance you're sitting

ex: 24" LCD = sit 2 feet away

My face is about 3 feet away from the screen and it is a little big for me. I plan on mounting mine on the wall soon which should afford me another 6 inches of depth or so. Then I think it will be just about perfect.

I went from a 20" to my 32' and let me tell you its huge. I sit roughly 3' away and agree that it needs to be mounted on the wall for a little extra space.

Also keep in mind though that you will adjust to the size. Personally sitting at a desk i would say a 26-27" would probably be ideal, but its very easy to get used to the 32" but I would not go any larger for desk use; IMO.

I moved from 21 to 25.5 (2693HM) at the beginning of this year and it was sweeeeet.
But am really tempted by the falling prices of a 32".
Urgh. Damn you, [H]ardforum.

How are you guys connecting your computers to your tv's? dvi->hdmi or dvi->15 pin?

I tried using a DVI -> HDMI cable on my 61" DLP once and it worked fine if I wanted to play games, but the text was so blurry I couldn't read it. Is that something I'll have to be concerned with if I use a LCD as a TV/monitor?

My vid card has HDMI out but my sharp looks fuzzy when showing my PC over HDMI so I use the DVI input.

I use DVI from videocard to HDMI and looks great. Tried VGA input; looks ok; not nearly as clear as HDMI. I am using the Samsung 32A550

I am thinking switch from Dell 2407 24" monitor to Samsung 32" LE656 TV. I wonder if its worth it to get somewhat bigger picture since resolutions are almost identical (1920x1200 vs 1920x1080).

I am thinking switch from Dell 2407 24" monitor to Samsung 32" LE656 TV. I wonder if its worth it to get somewhat bigger picture since resolutions are almost identical (1920x1200 vs 1920x1080).
I went from a 30" 2560x1600 to a 37" 1920x1080 and in terms of 3d I can not tell a difference (well actually the 37" has higher AA and better performance making it look better to me).

Back