Samsung 840/250GB + FarCry 3 $189.99

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but the game is through Ubisoft's download platform, no disc/box, no steam compatibility.

Also, the drive by itself has gone as low as $158, source camelcamelcamel.

I'm really tempted, I did order a retail copy of FC3 so thats money that I was going to spend anyways.

just last week this same bundle was on newegg for $158 and didn't sell out.

I have the 830 - replaced an ocz (vetex3) drive and the diff is night and day. No more stutters, everything just opens...like nothing boots in seconds...

830 vs 840 vs 840 Pro
Which is best for the 'average' user?

For the average user a 830 or 840. I would take the 830 over the 840, but there isn't many left at a good price. 840 pro is to expensive right now to be considered IMO.

Isn't this TLC memory?

Why yes, it is. Read speed is great, write speed is slower, but still faster than last gen MLC drives...so unless you want to spend over $1.00/GB premium for write performance, this is the best deal going.

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer an 840 Pro, but the price point I want to pay is not worth it considering the performance on the non pro model will still be comparable when used on my x58 motherboard's lack of 6G SATA controllers.

I guess the value lies in the reality of what I am buying it for.

I know this thread is about the non-Pro flavor, but just in case, at B&H there is the 840 Pro 256GB (+ Assassin's Creed 3) for $255, if you're in the market for that drive, which I was.

Why do you think that is? SSD price just not good enough? or FarCry3 just not good enough?

I think it was a decent price, but it just wasn't good enough for me personally.

I don't have an SSD yet, and if that was the Pro version, i wouldn't even need to think before clicking order.

The non pro 840 uses TLC NAND, low endurance that Samsung won't release data on, but Anandtech concluded it was quite low at 1000 p/e. It is sort of a wolf in sheep's clothing as it is initially as fast as an 830. I would expect it to degrade at a faster rate, and its resell value might be next to nothing if they don't hold up well (yep always thinking ahead :) )

Totally OT but what's the good value in SSD's now for general purpose? it seems like everything offered is garbage or really expensive.

The non pro 840 uses TLC NAND, low endurance that Samsung won't release data on, but Anandtech concluded it was quite low at 1000 p/e. It is sort of a wolf in sheep's clothing as it is initially as fast as an 830. I would expect it to degrade at a faster rate, and its resell value might be next to nothing if they don't hold up well (yep always thinking ahead :) )

Perhaps you mean "relatively low". The article in question:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6459/samsung-ssd-840-testing-the-endurance-of-tlc-nand

suggests that consumers won't ordinarily hit 1000 p/e in less than 10 years, unless they are doing something insane that writes more than 10 GiB per day.

What is the reliability like?

830 is probably the most reliable, but I read that the 840 and 840 Pro SSDs that TomsHardware.com and AnandTech.com tested with were having reliability issues w/ the initial batch. I'm not sure if they've been addressed by Samsung by now.

830 is probably the most reliable, but I read that the 840 and 840 Pro SSDs that TomsHardware.com and AnandTech.com tested with were having reliability issues w/ the initial batch. I'm not sure if they've been addressed by Samsung by now.

Apparently AnandTech unknowingly used a known (to Samsung) faulty firmware that was a rev before what actually shipped on the drives in retail. So said the AT forum thread the last time I checked it ... I hope so, because I ordered an 840 Pro and about to grab a non-Pro 840 too.

Apparently AnandTech unknowingly used a known (to Samsung) faulty firmware that was a rev before what actually shipped on the drives in retail. So said the AT forum thread the last time I checked it ... I hope so, because I ordered an 840 Pro and about to grab a non-Pro 840 too.
Yeah, I saw that on another forum that Samsung had a bad firmware in the SSDs that AT used.

I really want an 840 Pro, but it's going for more than $1/GB, which is too rich for my blood. :( I may "settle" for the 256 GB Crucial m4 that's been cleared out at the moment by various websites.

Yeah, I saw that on another forum that Samsung had a bad firmware in the SSDs that AT used.

I really want an 840 Pro, but it's going for more than $1/GB, which is too rich for my blood. :( I may "settle" for the 256 GB Crucial m4 that's been cleared out at the moment by various websites.

It can be found for slightly less than $1/GB ($248.98) on Ewiz usig promo code Supersanta - http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MZ-7PD256Z

Back