Samsung Develops GDDR5 Memory At 6Gbps

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics has announced that it has developed the world's fastest memory. The new GDDR5 memory operates at 1.5 volts and can transfer data at six gigabits per second.

Samsung's GDDR5, which will be introduced at a density of 512 Mb (16Mb x 32) chips, is capable of transmitting moving images and associated data at 24 gigabytes per second (GBps). The new Samsung graphics memory operates at 1.5 volts, representing an approximate 20% improvement in power consumption over today's most popular graphics chip, the GDDR3.

I wonder what the latency is like on this beast.

This would be awesome for memory hungry operating systems like virtualization and terminal servers and Vista :D

Nice stuff! Until we hear about GDDR6... :rolleyes:

This is all getting pretty crazy! And while it's all well and good RAM getting faster all the time (both GDDR and DDR), I would like to see big improvements in hard drives... Where's our holographic storage??? Hybrid drives still aren't good enough or cheap enough. I just want someone to find a NEW technology for HDD not based on something that is 50 years old... :eek:

Nice stuff! Until we hear about GDDR6... :rolleyes:

This is all getting pretty crazy! And while it's all well and good RAM getting faster all the time (both GDDR and DDR), I would like to see big improvements in hard drives... Where's our holographic storage??? Hybrid drives still aren't good enough or cheap enough. I just want someone to find a NEW technology for HDD not based on something that is 50 years old... :eek:

Yeah really. I been saying that for a while now, that hard drives are not fast enough for todays standards.

Faster drives are well on it's way. A few laptops are adopting solid state drives. It won't be long before it becomes affordable for the PC too.

even then ssd needs to speed up in different areas to fully replace hdd.

anyways i like the voltage decrease :D

Lol awsome!:D Finally something that will help the gpu's dominate or well do extremely well at games like crysis.;)

nForce 12XXXGTX / Ultra
2048 Stream Processors
35nm base cores (quad core native)
2048MB GDDR5 @ 5500mhz
Core speeds of 4000mhz
PCI Express 3.0
Min 2000 Watt PSU

And to think in 10 years we'll all look back at this post and say wow that's slow.

nForce 12XXXGTX / Ultra
2048 Stream Processors
2048MB GDDR5 @ 5500mhz
Core speeds of 4000mhz
PCI Express 3.0
Min 2000 Watt PSU

And to think in 10 years we'll all look back at this post and say wow that's slow.

Don't forget about optical tech too!

nForce 12XXXGTX / Ultra
2048 Stream Processors
2048MB GDDR5 @ 5500mhz
Core speeds of 4000mhz
PCI Express 3.0
Min 2000 Watt PSU

it already needs more ram. give it 8 gigs

Back