Samsung DLP making a buzzing noise, but works fine

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
Hello all,

My Samsung HLP-5063 DLP starting making a loud buzzing noise recently. It works perfectly, and doesn't seem to shut off by itself or anything. Picture is very bright is clear, it just makes this obnoxious noise constantly, and continues to make the noise for about five seconds after the TV is turned off. I've already tried removing the color wheel and lubricating the bearing on it, but that hasn't made any difference. Other than that, I can't figure out what might be causing it. I don't want to drop $100+ for a part and find out that it's not the right part I need to fix this thing. So, home theater experts, what seems to be the culprit? Color wheel? Lamp? Ballast? Help!

Here's a video I took of the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChRVcIWrZXk

What about the fan? My Mitsu 60" has a fan that runs upon startup and for about 2 minutes after shutdown in order to extend the life of the lamp. Try taking a long screwdriver and putting the metal tip to different parts on/in the tv, and the other end to your ear. Believe it or not it will help you eliminate where sound is coming from. (Old mechanics trick)

+1 on the fan. Color wheel is more of a high-pitched whine when it goes.

color wheel should shut off when the set shuts off, the fan will continue for a bit longer.. i would say it's the fan...

You took the color wheel out of the unit... yikes

Back