Samsung Galaxy S II first decent review up...

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Man, I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Why? No, it's not because of the phone, no no no, which is pretty damned awesome overall. I'm laughing because the guys over at SlashGear where the review is did a somewhat unusual unboxing for this particular phone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8973hQk5nY

I'm hurting from the laughing, really. But, as for the actual review you can find it here:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-review-26148446/

That's pure comedy right there. Anyway, as for the phone, I swear I hadn't heard much about it till this morning and I've been reading up on today and damn, where did this beast of a phone come from? :D

It makes even the vaunted Motorola Atrix look rather bland in comparison at this point, and some of the demo 1080p recordings made by the phone itself look absolutely amazing considering that yes, it's a phone doing the recording. No, it still can't match a dedicated videocam for such purposes but to be able to do actual useful 1080p at 30 fps from a smartphone is pretty awesome. Here's two demos of the 1080p recording capability:

Clip 1 (YouTube link)

Clip 2 (YouTube link)

That just looks great compared to any other 1080p that I've ever seen from any other device classed as a smartphone - and realize that they're compressed already before being sent to YouTube which just does another round of compression so it's not quite as visually accurate as the raw original 1st generation clip is on the phone itself.

Pretty amazing stuff. I might actually consider one of these depending on how things work out. I'm still wanting to replace my HTC HD2 I had recently but, considering this Samsung has a 4.3" screen at the same resolution, perhaps it's time to look into something more current and capable.

Now I gotta wonder what they pricing on this beast is going to be... :p

Where are the Samsung phones which were supposed to have physical keyboards?

i have the Galaxy S the first one and i love it. i might upgrade to this. it dont seem to have bing and samsung seems to wised up and got rig of all the bing b/s on there. so depending on the price i might jump on it. but my qestion is how are the update's going be with it.

And if it came stock with a relitively clean AOSP rom rather then that touchwiz bullshit then it wouldnt suck.. But as it is I would pass.

At least the SG2 doesn't have a locked bootloader, so custom roms are a possibility.

At least the SG2 doesn't have a locked bootloader, so custom roms are a possibility.

thats always a plus.. But still I am tired of having to root my phones.. I just want one that comes awesome.

And if it came stock with a relitively clean AOSP rom rather then that touchwiz bullshit then it wouldnt suck.. But as it is I would pass.

I don't know what is so beef with the TW i think is just fine, actually better than the nonSense HTC loads into their phones.

TW4.0 seems to have fixed most of the issues with TW3 and previous iterations of Samsung's UI. This might just be phone of the year, IMO.

best unboxing evaaar. and I said it before any info about this phone comes out, S2 is the only thing that may be able to replace my 5 years old Nokia 6630 :D

i have the Galaxy S the first one and i love it. i might upgrade to this. it dont seem to have bing and samsung seems to wised up and got rig of all the bing b/s on there. so depending on the price i might jump on it. but my qestion is how are the update's going be with it.
I think that's specific to the carrier. I got the Galaxy S 4g, and mine was all Google, while my mother's Fascinate on Verizon was Bing-centric.

Also, I totally want this phone.

This phone looks to be a beast. Root this bad boy, and load up a fresh ROM with CM 7.0 Stable, and this will be the best phone of 2011. Plus if true, the battery life sounds killer, and that has always been Androids downfall, if it can really last a solid day +, and have that awesome screen technology, super thin form, dual cores, running Gingerbread, this sounds like a must have.

When does the U.S. get it ?

definitely shaping up to be the flagship android for 2011...

it is crushing all the benches.

WOW, I might switch to this phone from an iPhone4. Looks killer

engadget review is up and gave it a killer review and basically said it's the best smartphone period.

I think this answers my question of what phone I'm upgrading to...

Question is: When will I be able to pull up to my Verizon store and buy this bad boy? Any hints on release day/date?

I just wish it came with a higher resolution. Currently on a Droid X and just not a big enough leap forward :( Still a great phone though

the resolution issue is overrated. there is a review posted on xda that shows side by side comparion with atrix and nexus s. sgs2 still crushed.

When does this actually come out on ATT and do we know what the price will be without a contract?

Considering ditching my iPhone 4 and giving android a try while I wait for iPhone 6.

Engadget just posted their full review (and thankfully it is an actual review) and I noted two positive things about it:

1) They only mention the iPhone one time, giving this actual review to Samsung 99.999% of it, and...

2) While they didn't go so far as as directly say it is the best smartphone on the planet right now, they did go so far as to say "it might well be the best smartphone, period."

Why they wouldn't go that extra tiny little step and just say "Without equivocation, we can easily state this is the best smartphone, period." Very fine line there but a very important distinction as well, and they just wouldn't do it, sadly.

But regardless, if I could get my hands on one today I'd do it. It's one seriously monster device for the small package it comes in.

I think when this phone is released it will be the absolute best smart phone on the market as far as specs go and not having a locked or encrypted boot loader which will make it nice for custom roms and kernels.

I am liking that phone a lot.
I recently did not upgrade from my Captivate after going to an ATT store because at 1.5Ghz it killed the Atrix plus the screen is SO much better...there was really nothing to upgrade to.
Galaxy S 2 could be the one.

I'm definitely waiting on this phone for verizon. Hopefully wont have to wait but 1-2 months seeing as their already hands on reviews of the phone.

I'm definitely waiting on this phone for verizon. Hopefully wont have to wait but 1-2 months seeing as their already hands on reviews of the phone.

I know the Galaxy S1 came out to Europe first last year, I think right around this time in May of 2010. So I would guess the Galaxy S2 to arrive in the U.S. exactly one year after they came to T-Mobile, Verizon and ATT. Which I believe was like July / August ? So I bet big bucks we see them here mid Summer, not before.

I am waiting for the Nexus-3 myself, that will be the top Android device this year.

I know the Galaxy S1 came out to Europe first last year, I think right around this time in May of 2010. So I would guess the Galaxy S2 to arrive in the U.S. exactly one year after they came to T-Mobile, Verizon and ATT. Which I believe was like July / August ? So I bet big bucks we see them here mid Summer, not before.

I am waiting for the Nexus-3 myself, that will be the top Android device this year.

what makes you think the n3 will be out this year?

Every Christmas they have released a new Nexus, and rumors have been floating around that LG is the next manufacturer in line, with a Tegra 3 chip-set in it.
if it's released on christmas, how can it be considered phone of the year??

the resolution issue is overrated. there is a review posted on xda that shows side by side comparion with atrix and nexus s. sgs2 still crushed.

I just wish it came with a higher resolution. Currently on a Droid X and just not a big enough leap forward :( Still a great phone though

One big improvement is that the new super amoled plus final ultra mix edition screen for the SGS2 doesn't use Pentile Matrix subpixels, instead we get an R, G and B for every single pixel, so the screen in theory should look considerably better than the old Galaxy S series.

Still, I would've liked higher resolution. The reason they didn't include a higher resolution is that this new subpixel matrix for AMOLED plus uses more space than SLCD, Super amoled, amoled, or IPS.

Hopefully the carriers don't ruin it like they did the first Galaxy S.

You dream big, sir.

Tempting phone, I'm just a little unimpressed with how my Captivate has been supported - not really feeling a whole lotta love from Samsung, I think my next phone will be a Google Experience phone.

According to leaked roadmaps For Verizon, this is coming out in May for I think?? Either way, I'm all over this....

Tempting phone, I'm just a little unimpressed with how my Captivate has been supported - not really feeling a whole lotta love from Samsung, I think my next phone will be a Google Experience phone.

Thank god for XDA or my Captivate would be trash. It's really the US carriers fault for our Galaxy S updates. The i9000 got gingerbread pretty quickly and thanks to XDA I'm running gingerbread on my Captivate.

I wish I had a nexus phone though.

Yeah I have CM on my Captivate - though I'm one of the unlucky ones whose phone drops signal with all the i9000 roms except for the crappy radio (KB1 or something)

Yeah I have CM on my Captivate - though I'm one of the unlucky ones whose phone drops signal with all the i9000 roms except for the crappy radio (KB1 or something)

Harsh. I ran CM7 for like 4 days last week and the battery life was really really bad. It was draining like 15% an hour. I could pull two days out of some of the froyo mods. We'll see what they do now that i9000 gingerbread is out because CM7 is far from "stable".

I'm running GR-9 right now. We'll see how battery works out on it in a few days but so it's far it's nice and stable.

Back