Samsung Galaxy S6

Uh.......

Not sure if you are trolling or not, HTC One has been using corning for every generation, they just dont advertise that since there aren't anything to talk about.

The video shows that the phone display is facing the ground on impact, its pretty obvious that it will crack. There is a test that did similar test already on S6, the glass also crack.
It doesn't take a genius to figure out display on impact would crack the glass. ;)

The video that shows earlier was done by a korean girl, and on a flat plastic ground.
Something should be pretty obvious..... :D

Not saying S6 is not durable, just saying it still crack if you drop it on the same scenario.

Then you clearly haven't seen this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdkPKeOVOrk&feature=youtu.be

The Samsung Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge has superior build quality compared to the HTC One M9.

Two questions:

1. How is the "light-weight" revamped UI in terms of lag? I've read/heard that Samsung phones are prone to lag? Is this correct?

2. I've read that the speaker on the S6 is actually pretty crappy. Is it really that bad? How would it compare to that of the Z3 Compact's?

Two questions:

1. How is the "light-weight" revamped UI in terms of lag? I've read/heard that Samsung phones are prone to lag? Is this correct?

2. I've read that the speaker on the S6 is actually pretty crappy. Is it really that bad? How would it compare to that of the Z3 Compact's?

1. So far, in all the Galaxy S6 videos I've seen, I haven't seen any lag whatsoever. And I actually got to test it on the weekend and there was no lag even with many apps on and with me scrolling like crazy from side to side. However lag is found in every phone including my iPhone 5.

2. The speaker on the Galaxy S6 is, as far as I've heard, louder than the iPhone 6. All Sony smartphone speakers have been quite poor IMO. The only decent speakers I've heard are the HTC One M8 speakers (haven't heard the M9 yet). Then it would be the Galaxy S6/iPhone 6.

1. So far, in all the Galaxy S6 videos I've seen, I haven't seen any lag whatsoever. And I actually got to test it on the weekend and there was no lag even with many apps on and with me scrolling like crazy from side to side. However lag is found in every phone including my iPhone 5.

2. The speaker on the Galaxy S6 is, as far as I've heard, louder than the iPhone 6. All Sony smartphone speakers have been quite poor IMO. The only decent speakers I've heard are the HTC One M8 speakers (haven't heard the M9 yet). Then it would be the Galaxy S6/iPhone 6.

Thanks.

Regarding the speaker, reviewers have stated that it can get very loud the it is the sound quality that is crappy. Is this true? Does the iPhone 6 beat it in terms of sound quality even if it can't get as loud?

Thanks.

Regarding the speaker, reviewers have stated that it can get very loud the it is the sound quality that is crappy. Is this true? Does the iPhone 6 beat it in terms of sound quality even if it can't get as loud?

iPhone 6 doesn't really set the bar high for a mono cell phone speaker (I've heard them at max volume a few times), so I'm sure it's comparable at least.

Part of the speaker sound quality is the background software processing. V4A is popular because the stock audio processing nets you a tinny sound even on devices with good speakers

One drop KO compared to like S6's five. HTC can use near BK financial situation as an excuse for using cheap glass.

Apple, on the other hand, has no excuse for the iPhone 6+ one drop KO from a lower height. If they're going to loot their customers on profit at least use decent quality materials. Don't want to hear BS excuse that Gorilla Glass 4 wasn't available because Galaxy Alpha was the first to have GG4 and it was released the same time in Sept 2014 as iPhone 6/6+.

http://www.corning.com/news_center/news_releases/2014/2014120902.aspx

https://youtu.be/eGxlm82hWDM?t=124

First of all, HTC uses Gorilla Glass 4, so I guess Samsung also used the "cheap china glass". http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-6891.php

Second, the Galaxy Alpha probably sold less units in it's entire(short) lifespan than the iPhone 6/6 Plus sold in 24 hours. I don't know if you realize that making screens for a minor product like the Galaxy Alpha just might be a slight bit different to making it for a major product like the iPhone. They wouldn't be able to have met the demand, nobody even knew the Alpha used Gorilla Glass 4 at first, that's where Corning seems to have tested it.
Oh and here's a link if you try to say the Alpha was a success. http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Kills+Off+Wouldbe+iPhone+6+Competitor+Galaxy+Alpha/article37030.htm

First of all, HTC uses Gorilla Glass 4, so I guess Samsung also used the "cheap china glass". http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9-6891.php

Second, the Galaxy Alpha probably sold less units in it's entire(short) lifespan than the iPhone 6/6 Plus sold in 24 hours. I don't know if you realize that making screens for a minor product like the Galaxy Alpha just might be a slight bit different to making it for a major product like the iPhone. They wouldn't be able to have met the demand, nobody even knew the Alpha used Gorilla Glass 4 at first, that's where Corning seems to have tested it.
Oh and here's a link if you try to say the Alpha was a success. http://www.dailytech.com/Samsung+Kills+Off+Wouldbe+iPhone+6+Competitor+Galaxy+Alpha/article37030.htm

The Galaxy Alpha was not a flagship phone though...

Doesn't matter, all points still stand as it was probably a device that was in the red over all. The point of the Alpha was to help it in emerging markets, then failed and Samsung attempted to make its release wide spread. All in all last year was not a good year for Samsung mobile.

Seriously? That was the point. Did you just read that part and nothing else? The point is that the Alpha was a minor release and hence why it was feasible to put Gorilla Glass 4 in there first. Corning probably didn't have the ability to mass produce it yet and the Alpha was the perfect phone to test it in.

Doesn't matter, all points still stand as it was probably a device that was in the red over all. The point of the Alpha was to help it in emerging markets, then failed and Samsung attempted to make its release wide spread. All in all last year was not a good year for Samsung mobile.

Last year was bad for Samsung but still better than 2011 when the S2 was released.

We need to put this in context. In 2013, Samsung actually made more profits than Apple in Q4.

Seriously? That was the point. Did you just read that part and nothing else? The point is that the Alpha was a minor release and hence why it was feasible to put Gorilla Glass 4 in there first. Corning probably didn't have the ability to mass produce it yet and the Alpha was the perfect phone to test it in.

Yeah I get your point. I was just pointing out that we can't say that the Galaxy Alpha was a failure. It was Samsung's gateway into utilizing metal in their phones.

Stop beating a dead ape... If gorilla glass 4 is cheap Chinese glass says TTL already, you don't even need to argue about whether corning could have mass produced gorilla glass 4 last September. There's just simply no winning any debate pointing out facts against TTL.

That's the point -- Corning either couldn't make Gorilla Glass 4 in large enough numbers to accommodate flagship phones, or wanted to use the Alpha as a guinea pig for a few months before announcing the product. If GG4 was truly ready for large-scale use, Corning wouldn't have waited until two months after the Alpha unveiling to announce the glass in the first place, and another month after that to draw a connection to the Alpha.

To me, this all seems beside the point. Samsung is using GG4 on the new Galaxy S because the phone is shipping months after Corning's announcement, so it's "safe" to use it for a launch this large. Something tells me Apple wasn't going to wait months to use tougher glass, especially since it knew it could destroy Samsung in high-end phone sales for at least half a year.

The Verge: Samsung Galaxy S6 Review

And it got

*drumroll*

8.8/10

The FIRST ever positive review of any Samsung device I've seen from The Verge.

And The Verge's review even suggested that they prefer the Galaxy S6 / S6 edge design over the iPhone 6 design. That's damn surprising coming from The Verge.

And it got

*drumroll*

8.8/10

And The Verge's review even suggested that they prefer the Galaxy S6 / S6 edge design over the iPhone 6 design. That's damn surprising coming from The Verge.

The Verge liked the Note 4 quite a bit -
Note 4 - http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/15/6974145/samsung-galaxy-note-4-review

They have a camera comparison up now too between the 6+ and the S6:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/31/8312125/galaxy-s6-iphone-6-plus-camera-comparison

As was pointed out before, they've liked lots of Samsung stuff before, dating back to the Nexus S 4G -- you're just noticing it now because you're looking for positive reviews.

This illustrates one of the common problems with reviews: a lot of people have constructed an image of both their favorite brand and how news sites react to that brand, and they tend to selectively ignore the truth in order to keep that image alive. As much as we may want to imagine that certain sites have it in for company X or Y, the boring reality is that they're usually just interested in good products... and some companies are more inconsistent in producing good products than others.

At any rate, the review does seem to capture the gist of what we've heard: Samsung learned a lot of hard lessons (some of them from Apple) and put out a genuinely great phone whose only major drawback is its less-than-stellar battery life.

only major drawback is its less-than-stellar battery life.

And sealed battery and no expandable storage. Though I personally don't have much of an issue with them anymore (I used to when I had it of course), but I still see them as being one of the most voiced complaints from anyone complaining about it. Can't remember if they rape you on storage tiers or not ($100 more for each upgrade), but if it's really a big deal for you, at least they offer 128GBs now.

And sealed battery and no expandable storage. Though I personally don't have much of an issue with them anymore (I used to when I had it of course), but I still see them as being one of the most voiced complaints from anyone complaining about it. Can't remember if they rape you on storage tiers or not ($100 more for each upgrade), but if it's really a big deal for you, at least they offer 128GBs now.

Well, the battery and storage issues are more complaints from die-hards than genuine deal breakers. The crowd that says a phone "must" have microSD and a removable battery is often the same group that thinks everyone should root... that is, it's not connected to the practical reality for everyday users.

And yes, you're looking at a $100 gap between capacities, at least in the US. It's an arbitrary difference, but I'd say it's worthwhile given that built-in storage is both easier to manage and faster than a microSD card. With that said, 128GB feels like overkill in 2015, unless you either insist on lossless music or carry a big collection of pirated videos.

Well, the battery and storage issues are more complaints from die-hards than genuine deal breakers. The crowd that says a phone "must" have microSD and a removable battery is often the same group that thinks everyone should root... that is, it's not connected to the practical reality for everyday users.

And yes, you're looking at a $100 gap between capacities, at least in the US. It's an arbitrary difference, but I'd say it's worthwhile given that built-in storage is both easier to manage and faster than a microSD card. With that said, 128GB feels like overkill in 2015, unless you either insist on lossless music or carry a big collection of pirated videos.

...Remember ~17GB or so disappears automatically in disk formatting (128GB becomes 111GB)...then another 5-10GB+ goes away in OS/cache and bloat. That is 20% of your rated capacity gone before you even do anything with the device.

And it got

*drumroll*

8.8/10

Site is still very pro-Apple biased. They subjectively rate the inferior in build quality, design, engineering and usability iPhone 6 higher. Although I don't believe in giving out 10 but the S6 should be 9 and the iPhone 6 no higher than 8. Site is useless except for browser load testing since it's bloated.

Site is still very pro-Apple biased. They subjectively rate the inferior in build quality, design, engineering and usability iPhone 6 higher. Although I don't believe in giving out 10 but the S6 should be 9 and the iPhone 6 no higher than 8. Site is useless except for browser load testing since it's bloated.

"This site doesn't agree with my opinion, they suck". :rolleyes:

Shocker: person who thinks that Samsung always makes the best products in every category, reality be damned, doesn't like that a Samsung product rated ever-so-slightly lower than something else. Film at 11.

You actually called something subjective and then wrong in the same sentence. You literally just made my brain blow up.

You actually called something subjective and then wrong in the same sentence. You literally just made my brain blow up.

Do you know the difference between a subjective review based on bias and feeling versus an objective review based on scientific process that can be measured? Maybe get an English speaker to explain to you.

Do you know the difference between a subjective review based on bias and feeling versus an objective review based on scientific process that can be measured? Maybe get an English speaker to explain to you.

Let's explain this to you very clearly:

A review, by definition, is subjective. It's an opinion.

You want nothing but "scientific process?" Read the spec sheet and run some benchmarks in the store. That method can't quantify how a design feels in the hand, whether or not an interface is intuitive, how a battery holds up in real life and whether new features are genuinely useful.

The hilarious bit is how desperate you are to savage The Verge because it scored the GS6 0.2 points lower than the iPhone 6. Two tenths! Relax, please. Why can't you simply accept that it's still a pretty good score and that plenty of people will be happy getting either a GS6 or an iPhone?

Last edited:
You clearly don't know the difference if you think battery life test is subjective. The Verge isn't up front on the subjective side either since they hide the usability issue of Safari reloading from low 1GB DRAM specs.

any1 check out these in person yet? i'll probably stop by local bestbuy tmr during lunch

Tested in store, get mine in the mail tomorrow. Anything you want me to check?

Not anything you can really do in a day or so, but I'm curious about the battery life in a real world type experience. Also maybe the fast charging.

Verizon pre-order is online. 128GB Edge is $899 which is less than Tmobile $959 and Best Buy $1049. They're also giving a $100 gift card for old phone trade in.

There is no evidence to support this claim. In fact, pretty much every other smartphone maker, such as LG, Sony, HTC, are adding sd cards back into their flagships. Google added it back in Lollipop.

Only Apple persists in the refusal to offer expandable storage. Samsung has had to give in after years of biased reviews which ignore every advantage because of 'design' and have been forced to make their phone as iPhone like as possible.

The Verge review is a veiled backhanded compliment, the very first line which basically says every Samsung phone before the S6 was 'cheap' gives it away - its a completely biased review from a site which only values 'design', i.e. design that's similar to Apple's. Their bias which claims the Note 4 is too big yet the 6+ is 'just right' is well known.

The sad truth is Samsung could've very easily had the exact same design, minus glass back, but with sd card slot and maybe removable battery, but that would've cost them deep with snobs like Verge, and thus lots of lost revenue. People are superficial these days and the 'plastic is bad, metal is good, glass is good' myth is well established in every reviewers DNA by now. Never mind the fact that a polycarb shell is lighter, more durable and scratch resistant, and that everyone is going to use a case anyway.

Last edited:

And it got

*drumroll*

8.8/10

Who cares what these hipster douche bags say ? Screw The Verge, they've sucked for a while now, and have a shitty laggy site.

They were cool when Josh T. first started it, several years ago, but since he and others left, the site is meaningless drivel now.

You clearly don't know the difference if you think battery life test is subjective. The Verge isn't up front on the subjective side either since they hide the usability issue of Safari reloading from low 1GB DRAM specs.

Battery life tests have objective and subjective components. You can run benchmarks that perform stress tests on certain features (video playback, web browsing), but mixed usage is much harder to replicate in a synthetic test. You typically have to actually go out and... well, use it.

And have you actually seen a review that mentions the memory issue for Safari? Probably not... because it's not a significant issue in the real world. I know you're obsessed with it as "proof" that Apple sucks, but you have to accept the truth that it doesn't matter nearly as much as you think it does.

Who cares what these hipster douche bags say ? Screw The Verge, they've sucked for a while now, and have a shitty laggy site.

They were cool when Josh T. first started it, several years ago, but since he and others left, the site is meaningless drivel now.

Man you washed that iPhone stench off of yourself fast :p

Man you washed that iPhone stench off of yourself fast :p
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha x100.

I don't know if Zorachus was sarcastic in his post in the first place though!

P. S. Maybe mi7chy, WarpDrive, and TD could leak some info about the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active. Come on, guys. You can do it.

Last edited:
Only Apple persists in the refusal to offer expandable storage. Samsung has had to give in after years of biased reviews which ignore every advantage because of 'design' and have been forced to make their phone as iPhone like as possible.

The Verge review is a veiled backhanded compliment, the very first line which basically says every Samsung phone before the S6 was 'cheap' gives it away - its a completely biased review from a site which only values 'design', i.e. design that's similar to Apple's. Their bias which claims the Note 4 is too big yet the 6+ is 'just right' is well known.

The sad truth is Samsung could've very easily had the exact same design, minus glass back, but with sd card slot and maybe removable battery, but that would've cost them deep with snobs like Verge, and thus lots of lost revenue. People are superficial these days and the 'plastic is bad, metal is good, glass is good' myth is well established in every reviewers DNA by now. Never mind the fact that a polycarb shell is lighter, more durable and scratch resistant, and that everyone is going to use a case anyway.

Time to shave the neck beard and come outside. Design is an important element in man consumer products, especially ones that cost a premium. Like it or not but the subjective look and feel of a phone will go a long way in the consumers eye. I hated Samsung until about the Note 4 time, because their phones were ugly plastic trash that I wasn't willing to pay 600-700 dollars for. I don't want a phone that feels like it came with a happy meal.

Verge is somewhat bias sure, but how many countless objective reviews with benchmarks do we already have. What's wrong with someone giving a subjective review, a different perspective that you wont get from a normal review, and realistically one that probably resonates more with the average consumer.

Plastic is bad metal/glass good isnt a myth, it's a preference. Most non neckbeards will agree that glass/metal are premium materials and it has nothing to do with durability etc. I'm not saying plastic can't be done well, the 2013 Moto X i thought had way better plastics than Samsung, but there's something about the cold touch and look of metal that cant be replicated by plastic.

The universal acclaim by reviewers and consumers should be an indicator to you're very much in a small small group of people here. I'm sorry you cant have a removable battery and SD card anymore, but there's plenty of Chinese phones out there to choose from.

Back