Samsung LCD - Good of Bad?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I was looking into getting a nice new LCD since my Dell FP1900 is blah. I don't game at home and don't use Microsoft so I don't care if it's Vista certified (whatever that means) or anything like that. I just want a awesome LCD and a decent price. Should I keep looking?

Samsung 226BW

What do you mean when u say, I don't game at home...also are you saying you don't use Microsoft windows?

I mean - I don't play games and I don't use Windows so that is not something I care about in an LCD. I simply want quality picture and anything else that does not depend on OS or specific drivers and such.

If you care about picture quality, then forget the 22" LCD monitors. They have TN panels, so they have worse colors and viewing angles than your 1900FP. Get a Dell 2007WFP if you want the best value.

I tend to agree with the whole 22" TN panel statement; their colors aren't comparable to PVA and viewing angles are inferior. However, their price is what makes them competitive; you can probably get 2 for the price of one larger screen.

If price is not of concern, then you might consider the line of Apple cinema displays ranging from 20 to 23 to 30 inch sizes. The 20" Apple is 1680x1050, same as the 226bw, but smaller pixel pitch and costs $600... about double that of the 226bw. This is often used by video editors for the quality picture.

Yeah - I am not looking for an apple display. Is the TN panel really that noticeable?

Thanks.

I was looking into getting a nice new LCD since my Dell FP1900 is blah. I don't game at home and don't use Microsoft so I don't care if it's Vista certified (whatever that means) or anything like that. I just want a awesome LCD and a decent price. Should I keep looking?

Samsung 226BW
"Decent price" is a rather subjective evaluation. You get what you pay for. You might google the Samsung SyncMaster 20.1" LCD Monitor XL20. 1600x1200 Res at .255 Pixal Pitch and with leading edge LED backlighting - with 114% color gamut - should provide your "awesomeness" at a very reasonable $1700.

At half the price of the XL20, you might look at the new DELL UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC with 92% color gamut. With AUO now providing their new M240UW01 V4 AMVA panel - with 92% color gamut - you will very quickly begin seeing this next generation of LCD becoming more available.

Half the price, more like one third the price but better yet, ignore the 92% hype and pick up one of the 2407WFP as they move them out to be replaced by the much hyped HC model. You should save some cash and get the same exact image quality.:D

You will ONLY find TN panels in the 22 inch lcds, Ive had a 19 inch samsung TN panel and loved it, great colors, viewing angles are poorer than PVA, IPS and PMVA panels but looking straight on at your desk this isnt an issue. I feel that people are a bit too critical of TN panels, for computing and gaming they are just fine and offer faster repsonse times than the higher quality panels and the colors are just fine too though higher quality panels do have better color it's not like the TN panels are YUGO's and the other types are Rolls Royce.

I recommend to everyone that they avoid mail order LCD purchases, buy at a local store where you can easily return with no hassles or extra shipping fees etc. The problem with Dell is that you never know what panel or manufacturer they are going to send you, they use several different companies and types of panels in order to fill their orders quickly.

Back