Samsung LN32A450 or LN32A330 (XBOX 360)

Are you strictly budgeted to $700-$800 max?

I'd go larger than a 32 inch, especially since those are only 720p sets. Unless you're set on Samsung, You could get a 1080p set at those prices such as a Vizio or Olevia. I've had a 30 inch Olevia and now have a 42 inch Olevia (542i) that I bought on Black Friday 2 years ago for $799. For HD gaming, the lower the response time, the better probably.

Link to HD gaming article: http://www.electronichouse.com/article/optimize_your_gaming_experience

Take a look at www.avsforum.com for some TV reviews.

Samsungs are good---I'm looking at the LN52A650 or A750 right now but for a 32 inch TV at those prices, I'd look at a similarly priced 37 inch or 40 inch, or spend 100-200 more for a 42 inch.

Are you strictly budgeted to $700-$800 max?

I'd go larger than a 32 inch, especially since those are only 720p sets. Unless you're set on Samsung, You could get a 1080p set at those prices such as a Vizio or Olevia. I've had a 30 inch Olevia and now have a 42 inch Olevia (542i) that I bought on Black Friday 2 years ago for $799. For HD gaming, the lower the response time, the better probably.

Link to HD gaming article: http://www.electronichouse.com/article/optimize_your_gaming_experience

Take a look at www.avsforum.com for some TV reviews.

Samsungs are good---I'm looking at the LN52A650 or A750 right now but for a 32 inch TV at those prices, I'd look at a similarly priced 37 inch or 40 inch, or spend 100-200 more for a 42 inch.

Thanks for the detailed response. I was looking at the following as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889101117
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889102221

I'm not really looking to go much bigger than 37, as this TV is for a smaller room. Any TV suggestions are appreciated.

The LG 32LB4D probably gives you the most bang for your buck of the 32's.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=204391028&listingid=16499420&dcaid=17902

The main advantage of this is it has a really good native contrast and it's 120hz processing was probably the best of the 07's. It was never carried in your major big-box retailers and is getting pretty hard to find locally so you might not be able to check it out. I've seen this next to the Sony 32XBR4 (http://www.electronicexpress.com/product?prod_id=12068&refer=6&cpc=6) and would take the LG over the Sony any day of the week.

The Samsung LN32A450 is one of the best, if not the best, 32" LCD on the market right now and at the prices they are going for make it is a no-brainer.

1080p at 32 inches is overkill. Until you get to about 46 inches, you will not see much benefit from 1080p at normal viewing distances, especially if you buy from a budget manufacturer like Vizio and Olevia.

If you are going to pressing your nose up against the screen, then go for 1080p, but if you will be sitting a normal distance away, then 720p will give you an amazing picture. Plus, resolution, 720p versus 1080p, is not nearly as important as color accuracy, color saturation, and contrast.

Video games, blu-rays, and HD channels (depending on provider) will look fantastic.

Anyway...do not hesitate...pull the trigger and get the LN32A450.

I recommenced you change the display mode to "Movie" right away and then visit the AVS forums for some guidance on more specific tweaks to settings. Switching to Movie right away, though, will get you 90% of the way to natural picture.

Avoid the trappings of constant feature upgrading when shopping. A good TV is more than it's spec sheet. We focus on size and pixel count too much when considering a HDTV. There are plenty of 50 inch 1080p sets out there that get horrible pictures.

I have the LN32A550. Got it at Fry's on Labor Day for $699(regular $799). Great TV. I love it. I only wish it were bigger. I set it to Dynamic when I play on my 360 and it gets super bright and brings out the colors. :) Though I should go to AVS forums and see what the best settings are.

Dynamic will not give you "natural/accurate" colors, but it does give you vivid picture.

Picture settings are personal preference really, but you will likely loss detail in dark scenes and have colors that are over saturated. You might even see things like "bleeding" reds (TF2) and garish white blooms (COD4).

That pop that Vivid/Dynamic presets has is designed to catch your eye in the showroom under strong lighting and works pretty good for a setting with a tremendous amount of bright lighting or sunlight. In reality though, it's basically a marketing scheme. They are trying to get your attention at the point of sale.

It takes some getting used too, but if you switch to Movie mode in low light settings you will see more detail, colors will look more natural, and the blacks with get more inky. You will start to see details of the scenes you missed completely before. Before long, when you switch to Dynamic, you will shield your eyes and feel like you retina is burning.

I'm going to recommend that you save a little bit more money. For a little over $1000 after tax you can get you can get a Toshiba REGZA (42RV530U) 42" 1080p. My brother has the previous model and it looks fantastic. It is a great TV for the price.

The original poster might not notice this...but, I don't think an extra 400 to 600 dollars is an insignificant amount to add to the price.

You can get the 450 for like 650. That is a great price for a top of it's class HDTV. Excellent deal. Pound for pound it is one of the best deals out there for an HDTV. Also, it will be perfectly serviceable until LED LCDs match the current price to performance ratio in 32" LCDs and 50" plasmas.

I think you should spend your money wisely in a market that is continuously (every year) making a better product for cheaper.

You could spend 1000-1500 dollars on a big LCD that will look like crap next year in comparison to cheaper models, or get a 700 on a 32 inch that will look great next to products the same price for the next three-five years.

The 450 is a great buy and you won't have that buyer's remorse in two years when the new models make your current display look awful.

You can't ignore the brand here either. Samsung makes the best LCD HDTVs and for a good price. Much like Panasonic in the plasma realm.

The Samsung LN32A450 is one of the best, if not the best, 32" LCD on the market right now and at the prices they are going for make it is a no-brainer.

1080p at 32 inches is overkill. Until you get to about 46 inches, you will not see much benefit from 1080p at normal viewing distances, especially if you buy from a budget manufacturer like Vizio and Olevia.

If you are going to pressing your nose up against the screen, then go for 1080p, but if you will be sitting a normal distance away, then 720p will give you an amazing picture. Plus, resolution, 720p versus 1080p, is not nearly as important as color accuracy, color saturation, and contrast.

Video games, blu-rays, and HD channels (depending on provider) will look fantastic.

Anyway...do not hesitate...pull the trigger and get the LN32A450.

I recommenced you change the display mode to "Movie" right away and then visit the AVS forums for some guidance on more specific tweaks to settings. Switching to Movie right away, though, will get you 90% of the way to natural picture.

Avoid the trappings of constant feature upgrading when shopping. A good TV is more than it's spec sheet. We focus on size and pixel count too much when considering a HDTV. There are plenty of 50 inch 1080p sets out there that get horrible pictures.

Very good reply and advice. In fact I have a Samsung LN32A450 on the way to me as well. This set has been rated very well in most of the reviews I have read.

Jason

Dynamic will not give you "natural/accurate" colors, but it does give you vivid picture.

Picture settings are personal preference really, but you will likely loss detail in dark scenes and have colors that are over saturated. You might even see things like "bleeding" reds (TF2) and garish white blooms (COD4).

That pop that Vivid/Dynamic presets has is designed to catch your eye in the showroom under strong lighting and works pretty good for a setting with a tremendous amount of bright lighting or sunlight. In reality though, it's basically a marketing scheme. They are trying to get your attention at the point of sale.

It takes some getting used too, but if you switch to Movie mode in low light settings you will see more detail, colors will look more natural, and the blacks with get more inky. You will start to see details of the scenes you missed completely before. Before long, when you switch to Dynamic, you will shield your eyes and feel like you retina is burning.

I am going to take a slightly different route my 450 gets here. Since I am going to be connecting my HTPC to it for movie playback and using Vista as my OS, I am going to attempt to calibrate the LCD with my Eye One and store a profile for it on the HTPC. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has tried this and how it worked out for them.

Jason

I have the LN32A550. Got it at Fry's on Labor Day for $699(regular $799). Great TV. I love it. I only wish it were bigger. I set it to Dynamic when I play on my 360 and it gets super bright and brings out the colors. :) Though I should go to AVS forums and see what the best settings are.

I got the 46" 550 and it's fucking awesome. Best money I've ever spent.

Back