Samsung LN40A650 finally here!

kozz

n00b
This is actually my first post here... thanks to some past posts here, I was able to get this screen working correctly with my PC. I was having issues with DVI to HDMI: text was overly sharp, picture wasn't very good at all. Discovered that I needed to plus it into a specific HDMI, HDMI2, rather than HDMI4 where I had it, and also needed to name that input connection "PC". Once all of this was done, the picture quality went perfect, and the amount of input lag is nearly unnoticeable.

My Setup is as follows:
Comp:
Intel Core2Duo E6550
2GB DDR2 RAM
P5N-SLI
MSI 8800GT
Corsair HX520 PS (I love it, very quiet)

Displays:
Samsung LN40A650
Viewsonic VX910

After getting the inputs and settings correct with the Samsung, I am extremely pleased with the results. I'm very picky with input lag and FPS games, such as counter strike, quake, UT, etc.., and overall the lag is virtually unnoticeable. This forum looks great, looking forward to contributing.

DSCF0365.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

It's not too far from head level, I sit pretty high. The 19" lcd to the right is a very good monitor and the image quality of the samsung vs the viewsonic is actually better IMO, with the exception of the input lag. The viewsonic does feel more accurate when moving the mouse around, but the difference is trivial.

Is what a joke, perini? The quality of LCD tv's, this one in particular, feels as good, if not better than LCD computer monitors. It's not only my computer monitor, however. It is hooked up to Dish, and a PS3.

It's not too far from head level, I sit pretty high. The 19" lcd to the right is a very good monitor and the image quality of the samsung vs the viewsonic is actually better IMO, with the exception of the input lag. The viewsonic does feel more accurate when moving the mouse around, but the difference is trivial.

Is what a joke, perini? The quality of LCD tv's, this one in particular, feels as good, if not better than LCD computer monitors. It's not only my computer monitor, however. It is hooked up to Dish, and a PS3.

Kozz, You can find more info and a more friendly group of people here:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007540&page=458

I have a PS3 hooked up to a LN52A650. I do not game on it much, mostly Blueray and DirectTV. The TV is outstanding for the price. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Dave

I was laughing at the distance from your monitor. Like, how do you keep from getting migraines staring at a 40" display when it's like two feet in front of your face?

I'm sitting over 4 feet from the screen... recommended distance that I've read for 40" for best viewing results is 4-7 feet. Of course that can be argued, but I'm well within the "recommended" viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

ihaveworms, surprisingly there are no dead or stuck pixels anywhere; I got lucky :)

daveswantek, does the menu on your LN52A650 feel a bit clunky and slow? So far, my only complaint is the speed of the TV menu. I'm wondering if there is a firmware upgrade from whichever version (i don't know how to check yet) I have.

I'm sitting over 4 feet from the screen... recommended distance that I've read for 40" for best viewing results is 4-7 feet. Of course that can be argued, but I'm well within the "recommended" viewing distance.

http://s3.carltonbale.com/resolution_chart.html

ihaveworms, surprisingly there are no dead or stuck pixels anywhere; I got lucky :)

daveswantek, does the menu on your LN52A650 feel a bit clunky and slow? So far, my only complaint is the speed of the TV menu. I'm wondering if there is a firmware upgrade from whichever version (i don't know how to check yet) I have.

The menu is a little slow, and the wheel on the remote has got to go. I use a Harmony One; no scroll wheel just buttons.

If you have a home network, check out TVersity Media Server. It allows you to stream video and music from your computer to your PS3 with on the fly format conversion.

You will get used to the menues; there not that bad really. One thing you may want to do if you have not already. Check for backlight uniformity by displaying an all black image in a dark room. You can do this with a flash drive. Some units, (mostly 46 inchers) have had problems with uneven backlight bleed. I was lucky on the first try; no stuck pixels and no uneven backlight.

If/when you have your PS3 connected to the internet, browse to: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ for some good test images.

Oh and here is the calibration thread:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1010609

Enjoy

Dave

ihaveworms, surprisingly there are no dead or stuck pixels anywhere; I got lucky :) .
You are a lucky one. I am getting my 32" exchanged due to a bezel problem and I REALLY hope my replacement doesn't have any stuck or dead.

Isn't the image quality vs a good monitor really low?

the 50000:1 contrast ratio not soimething any monitor can do at the moment, and the 120hz frame turns this into a 2ms perceive LCD, only drawback is the input lag on these samsungs

monitor being too low means ur back spine will change over time, too high is major neck pain, each persons heigh is different, just find what is right for you

Back