Samsung or Seagate

pOwErEd By NOS

Weaksauce
So the new Samsung 250GB are out for pre order on newegg for $115. I am looking at getting a few 250's for my upcoming build paired with a RAID 5 card. I am debaiting between the new Samsungs and the Seagate 7200.8 250's. I want something quite, reliable, and low heat. The Samsung fits the bill but its 3 bucks more expensive and a 2 year shorter warranty. What do you guys think.

Get the seagate, they are quiet, fast, and reliable. I wont buy anything else in the near future, 5 year warranty because they make a quality product they know will last.

seagate has released their NL35 line which is 250gb up to 400gb with 16mb cache and average seek time of 8ms. If you wait a week or so newegg is bound to have them soon. Seagates are also quiet and generate low heat

Seagate drives quiet and cool? :confused: SAMSUNG drives are QUIET and COOL, not Seagate's.

Seagate drives are quiet and cool, when compared to Maxtor drives. Hitachi and Samsung have always been great with low power consumption and by extension cool operation. Samsung still makes the quietest 3.5" drives out there. WD has made huge improvements in both power and noise profiles this year, and are now worthly competitors in the cool and quiet arena. Only Maxtor is way off course in such matters.

If you want the coolest and quietest you need to pick up a Samsung drive. If you are willing to compromise on these a little for more peace of mind with a longer warranty, consider Seagate. If you are willing to compromise slightly on cool and quiet for more performance, consider WD2500KS. I have also been extremely impressed with Hitachi drives as all-around products, but performance in SR's new DriveMarks has not been good. Forget about Maxtor.

Samsung, no contest. I love it when people who know nothing about Samsung reply with Seagate and state (some of) the reasons that SAMSUNG is better. (I'm not saying that everyone who responded did that.)

Seagate hasn't had the greatest reputation for stability. Without saying either way (whether I think it's unstable or not), what makes you put it above Samsung? Yes, the warranty is longer... But do you recommend Hyundai cars because they have a 10 year warranty? I sure don't.

I don't know why everyone says the Samsung are quieter than the Seagates, maybe it's a tiny bit quieter idle but at least in an 'open' external enclosure they are near-as-damn-it quiet as each other idle. However when working the Samsung emits an audible soft clicking sound, when playing music it's loud enough (& frequent enough, ~1.5 times second) that it irritated me into changing to a Seagate (7200.7?) which is inaudible in its accessing. Inside a chassis however as long as it's not a ultra-flimsy thing you shouldn't hear either drive. Temps though the Samsung is cooler than the Seagate.

Out of the two I'd go get the Seagate's purely on warranty, however I'd take option number 3, Maxtor & live with the noise. Why? At work we've had success with the MaxLine II & III drives in our RAID chassis, they just seem to be able to run hotter without failing, and as any drive gets well roasted in these chassis they do the best.

I can't speak to reliability or quiet (I have several drives all sitting in the same chassis, so it's anyone's guess which is loudest). I CAN speak as to the quality of their warranty.

I mistakenly fried one of their 300gb drives (brand new.....my niece plugged in the wrong power brick to the external drive enclosure). It was obviously my fault, and not Seagates. I sent it in on RMA with a note explaining what happened. They sent me a refurb 400gb drive with no questions asked, with fairly quick turnaround. The warranty is fabulous, and not just the length of it. Short of pissing on the running drive and then firing it from a trebuchet at a stone wall, they'll probably replace your drive if you have some serious problem with it.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't backup your data, but nobody beat's Seagate's warranty.

StoneNewt said:
I don't know why everyone says the Samsung are quieter than the Seagates, maybe it's a tiny bit quieter idle but at least in an 'open' external enclosure they are near-as-damn-it quiet as each other idle. However when working the Samsung emits an audible soft clicking sound, when playing music it's loud enough (& frequent enough, ~1.5 times second) that it irritated me into changing to a Seagate (7200.7?) which is inaudible in its accessing.

You got one with a JVC motor, AFAIK the new P120 all have Nidec motors.

Either will work fine for your application. Both are quiet and run cool, but the Seagate has a edge in performance and warranty.

dandragonrage said:
The seek noise in Seagates is VERY audible to me.
When thrashing yes, but this was the periodic access of the HDD when playing back music the Seagate is inaudible, psychologically the previous DM9s were better but that's cause they're so freaking loud idle the seek noise was drowned out to an almost negligible level :eek:

I can't speak for the Samsungs, but I just put a 6 drive (six 300GB Seagate 7200.8's) RAID-5 in my file server at home and it is absolutely, totally silent. And it generates no heat to speak of.

-Larry