Samsung PLS - s27a850d - fantastic.

For those who have this Samsung S27A850D, how is it for:

a), Text

b). Photo Editing

c) Movies

Thanks.

Great at all 3. Some people are having QC issues but I got lucky and received a flawless one. Subjectively the response time seems better than the u2711, and same in terms of color and viewing angles. Way better with text and white uniformity, mainly due to the u2711/zr2740 having aggressive antiglare coatings.

Great at all 3. Some people are having QC issues but I got lucky and received a flawless one. Subjectively the response time seems better than the u2711, and same in terms of color and viewing angles. Way better with text and white uniformity, mainly due to the u2711/zr2740 having aggressive antiglare coatings.

Where did you buy yours from? Both units from Amazon have been defective. I'm thinking of trying buy.com

My u2711 is going back.

The graininess of the AG coating is bad, but probably liveable, but the unevenness of it - I was editing an image the other day and thought there was an unexplained gradient in the image. However, it wasn't in the image, it was what I would expect is an area of AG spray overlap making one area of the screen noticeably darker than the other.

On further investigation, following a moving "dot" on a white screen back and forth, the unevenness of the AG coating is incredibly apparent.

If it was grainy, but at least EVEN, I would be fairly happy. But the combination of both is just too much. Am returning it and trying the S27A850 lottery.

CDW has them for 850. Dunno what their return policies are.

BB

Last edited:
I'm really eyeing this monitor because of:
1) 27"
2) Portrait Mode support
3) 1440
4) PLS Tech

This is for gaming, mainly for Diablo 3. :D
I do coding too.

I have a i5 2600 system with SLI 460s

I've been trying to wait for the next big thing but nothing from CES seemed better.

I remember eyeballing the beautiful Samsung displays years ago in CompUSA, should have bought one then, don't know why I have held in there with Dell, have had 2 Dell 24inch UltraSharp displays and the anti-glare is horrible and so much heat comes out of the back, on the pc for 4 hours working and my digital thermometer climbs to 84degrees, in January! (Florida) Indoors thats just too hot. If the Syncmaster 850 in the 24inch size has the same Beautiful Picture I am "IN" baby. Bring on the LEDs and cool me down! Today Amazon has the 24in 850 for $439. Hmmmm $3.99 Amazon Prime overnight shipping, I could be as happy as you guys by tomorrow!;)

Last edited:
Has anyone gone to this monitor from a Dell 2407 and can offer their opinion? Thanks

Has anyone gone to this monitor from a Dell 2407 and can offer their opinion? Thanks

I'm coming from a Dell 2407 and 2408, let you know when the Samsung 24inch arrives, right now I’m hating the Dell, it's got a blue vertical line in it that won't go away! But it’s been a good monitor lasted forever it seems, just time to upgrade! These Samsungs 24 and 27 IPSs are all the rage right now. What is going on with Samsung? Ten years ago didn’t even know the name, last year I bought a Samsung 4-door refrigerator because they were rated so high and It's amazing LED lighting all the bells, and this year I am getting a Samsung washer/dryer because they are rated so high, did this company just come out of nowhere? I do remember 6 or so years ago loving their glossy screen natural image monitors the way they looked in the store, now finally getting one, can't wait. The 27inch was/is double the cost of the 24inch so I went with the 24, big enough, love the 1920x1200/16:10aspect ratio.

Last edited:
The reviews I read commented that the contrast is quite poor on these. Can anyone comment? My current TN is 750:1 (measured). Feels stupid to pay $900 for something with inferior contrast.

Mine is 873:1 @ 120cdm/2 but higher contrast should be achieveable using basiccolor 5 vs the i1 profiling software I use now

Is this display suitable for gaming?

is the response fast enough? 5 ms but its G2G

should I look for 120hz?

thank you

I just ordered one of these to test out against my FW900. It will be interesting to see in person what compromise Samsung came up with in regard to the anti-glare coating which I hear is pretty darn great.

Dell finally credits my account with the refund, bonus comes in at work, tax refund on the way, and NOBODY has the Samsung S27A850D in stock. Unless they're charging MSRP or more.

:mad:

BB

How tiny are the fonts and text on this? I got the 650D because the resolution on the 850D was so huge. That and if you wanted to max games out you would need something really serious in the graphics card dept.

Dam just received my 850DW....

Let me tell you one thing... to anybody who is interested in samsung PLS...

While a like the AG coating and text sharpness, HOW CAN anybody F''k live with this totally lame contrast... black are f... GREY... all colors are over saturated and because of the shitty contrast they are washed out...

YET because of those stupid in this thread who cannot even discern what is or not a good monitor... i'm stuck with it and will have to pay for shipping it back...

Can't believe that in 2012 samsung is producing those shitty monitors... my dell 2405FPW after 6 years of everyday use still have better contrast...

WHERE THE F... are we going .... in the last 6 years, all those stupid companies never listened to what the consumers wanted... now we are stuck with white glow/poor contrast/16:9/shitty coating everywhere.... always tons of compromise if you don't want to go up to a Eizo S-PVA and even then..

And now even NEC doesnt have a TW polarizer in their high end IPS...

this is lame...in these day and age... those companies should be ashame of those shitty panel they offer at high cost...

I wish Sharp/panasonic or pionneer would make monitors at lest they would come up with something 10x better than that shitty PLS ( same as e-ips)... samsung just want to save money selling shit to consumers..

Turn the brightness down to about 20, the monitor is exceedingly bright out of the box so of course, like every other non VA panel pushing 300cdm/2 brightness, the blacks will be grey

I really hope that in 2012 the consumers will wake up and bash, every shitty product like hell on the net because it's too much... we have taken too much crap....

It's time to have what we pay for... and not loose tons of time and money every f... time we have to buy something at high cost.

Turn the brightness down to about 20, the monitor is exceedingly bright out of the box so of course, like every other non VA panel pushing 300cdm/2 brightness, the blacks will be grey

my brightness is at like 8-9

you say: like every other non VA panel pushing 300cdm/2 brightness, the blacks will be grey

Who cares about brightness if the blacks are grey... I'm simply tired of those stupid companies/employees who are simply humm stupid...

If you have to turn down your brightness to like 1 to 20 on your monitor to make it right and now your saying because of a panel pushing to much nits the blacks are grey...

but it's all good, it's normal... we consumer can live with this crap at 600$ no problemo....

black just can't be grey and that's it end of story.... HAVE THEY EVER WATCHED ANYTHING ON THEIR F''' SCREENS?

if blacks are grey than there is simply 0 shadow details and everything is washed out...
It make all the rest of the monitor like colors suck..

I'm still debating weather I should keep my 650D which I am happy with or go with the 850D. I paid $500 for my 650D, the 850D is about $400 more....

I ended up getting the 850D. Its much better then the 650D. Its a keeper for me. colors are awesome and its fast enough for games. I notice a bit of BLB but not much. Its less then the 650D that has some bad BLB.

Go everybody go buy this shitty monitor and be happy with it.

can't believe every site is praising this crap..
They all been paid and those who say it's a good monitor just never had one.

http://www.pcworld.fr/2011/09/08/materiel/peripheriques/samsung-850-series/518949/

The AG coating is nice so text is clear and input lag/refresh time are low...

that is the only good thing about this monitor...

shitty saturated unatural colors and shitty black/contrast .... how can you say good colors hehehe.. Yellow suck on this PLS panel, look very very fake

My 7 years old Dell 2405FPW, one of the first 24" monitor made have lot better blacks and lot better colors... it's not even comparable..
The AG coating suck on the Dell tho..

but still.. I believe any monitors with shitty black like this one should never be rated more than 5/10 in any reviews.. Yet this monitors is praise everywhere... Something is wrong... People are blind or stupid or they have been paid by samsung.

So you joined 5 days ago and every post you have is bashing this monitor. Troll much?

djsinae,
I have never owned or seen either the Dell 2405FPW or the samsung 850 series, but as the 2405FPW is rated at 1000:1 (typically less is achieveable) and the latter at an easily achieveable 750:1, then, when adjusted to the same brightness of white, the should have a black level very much equal to each other. If it is that much different, somethings wrong with that 850.

If you have to turn down your brightness to like 1 to 20 on your monitor to make it right and now your saying because of a panel pushing to much nits the blacks are grey...
He was trying to say that using them at default brightness setting is not of any use anyway, as whites become blindlingly bright. Standard sRGB profile assumes max 120 nits as the standard brightness. No monitor is just 120 nits out of the box. Same for CRT.

djsinae,
I have never owned or seen either the Dell 2405FPW or the samsung 850 series, but as the 2405FPW is rated at 1000:1 (typically less is achieveable) and the latter at an easily achieveable 750:1

---
your saying the 2405FPW is rated at 1000:1 but it cannot achieve it...

It can achieve it and actually i'm pretty since it can even do more than 1000:1 since it use an old S-PVA panel from...... wait for it.... wait for it.... SAMSUNG and released 8 years ago...

-----
The 850 that i have, at brightness set to 8, is doing like 500:1 with very shitty gray and BLB but is rated at 1000:1...or dynamic contrast of 1000000000000:1 or something.. it's so funny how they f.. rate contrast since... who cares if you have 500:1 if the lowest black you can have once calibrated is GREY... this just mean that when they measured the shit they used an over the head brightness settings vs poor black.....

Contrast ratio is how everybody have been fuck since the start of LCDs... Since then they never stop leveling the luminance of the panels since they couldn't or didn't want to invest in developing good panel with good black.

Anyway... BUY THIS SHITTY MONITOR, BE STUPID AND BUY IT.. I DONT CARE... you can masturbate on it thinking it's a good screen but it's all in your head since it's not... only H-IPS have decent blacks and even then they removed the polorizer to save money so black are soso and S-PVA have the best black but samsung stop producing them because how could they sell their shitty PLS monitors if anybody like me compare it to their own S-PVA panels....

people like you are like peace man, no need to be piss, it's all good if those big corporation sell overpriced shit.... I'm not good with this.... big ultra rich corporation that do their own panels should at least offer something of quality for the price, if not.... where are we going???

AND COLORS SUCKS on this monitors.... once calibrated... against my 2405FPW it's crazy like night and day...

But the 2405FPW suffer from black crush a little since it's an old S-PVA panel and ag coating suck on it...

Still how can the consumers, reviewers praise those monitors it's totally absurd.... It's samsung dammit... they released better S-PVA panel years ago and yet they sell us this crap... it's because they can produce it so cheap that they make tons of money out of it...

Samsung doesn't cares since consumers/reviewers are too stupid and like to lick samsung boots... BUT I CARE When the only option to upgrade from my 8 years old 2405 fpw that I paid 600$ in the day is an eizo at 1400$ and this will give me just less ag coating, little better input lag and little better contrast but that's mostly it...

Can't you see how dumb the consumers are... this kind of stupidity would never pass in the TV market.... right now samsung are releasing big lcd with incredible blacks and yet they can't even release a 24" monitor with the same black level..

It's clearly because those who use monitors are so use to having grey black and shitty monitors that they think this is an upgrade but i can assure they spit in the face and you applaud them.

All they want is for everybody to have a shitty monitors, so that everybody will "wooo" them once they release their OLED monitors with perfect black and no lag...

Last edited:
Also most of my comments have been deleted on all reviewers site...so i guess any bad comments will be deleted like always...

Also most of my comments have been deleted on all reviewers site...so i guess any bad comments will be deleted like always...

Your ranting makes you like an anti psycho-fan boy planted by LG or AUO to bash this screen though. That's probably not the case, as you may be just some drama queen type character instead.

But your comments need to also makes sense. If you go off like a lunatic calling the reviewer stupid and a f***ing liar, well what do you expect?

Just saying......

If you are looking for a screen with super duper TV-like black levels the Samsung S24A650D is the one you want. It will have slower response time and even worse color calibration, but it has 3000:1 or higher contrast ratio and basically no off-angle IPS glow on black/dark colors. There's a big version 27" panel but with lower 1920x1080 resolution you can look at.

Otherwise you are limited to a BenQ EW2430 or EW2730, or an S-PVA based TV. The black levels on my Sony EX723 TV are quite nice ;)

NCX tried to be helpful and suggest you turn the brightness down and you flipped out asking what it has to do with contrast. The answer is nothing, but it will reduce the black level and give you slightly better results in terms of black level and IPS black glow which is likely what you are complaining about.

My S27A850 gets like 900:1 contrast ratio, and 800:1 or higher when calibrated. It's not anywhere near the greatest monitor I've ever owned, but it's definitely an above-average display IMHO. You don't have to agree but you need to say exactly why outside of just screaming about contrast and colors.

Here's a photo at 30 brightness with a one second exposure from about three feet away:

img0091kh.jpg

Although i am reading these forums for some time now, i decided to join just to answer to djsinae. Noone said this is the best monitor ever made or it puts any other panel to shame or it has the best blacks ever etc. I read some reviews ofc before bying this monitor. The main reason, tbh, was not the new PLS panel or anything. It was because everyone with a dell u2711 or u30 didnt like the AG coating. For me this monitor is amazing. Comming from a TN panel, after calicration, colours are simply amazing. White is amazing and even black is really good. My only problem is BLB, not much but its there, at the lower left corner and at the upper right. I would really like to to have this issue at this 700+ euro price range monitor. Other than that, you can be polite and state your opinion like anyone else. Stop ranting and calling names to reviewers and users who write down their experiences.

Mine is crealy Grey/white not like yours at all.

Then return or exchange it for another one since yours obviously is buggered.

Ranting and calling people names won't fix your monitor.

Then return or exchange it for another one since yours obviously is buggered.

Ranting and calling people names won't fix your monitor.

Look all, i sent those 2 pictures of this crappy monitors to the seller directcanada.com, 5 employee of samsung + the director of customer support of samsung and they all told me this is normal and within specification.
2 day after i bought this crap, direct canada didn't want to refund and samsung didn't want to repair or give me an RMA number.. saying it's all normal.... I'M I BLIND!!!
Actually i'm starting to be blind with this crappy monitor since there is no black, my eyes are fu.... bleeding.
You all support this...?

photo0088zn.jpg

By djsinae at 2012-02-22
photo0090vh.jpg

By djsinae at 2012-02-22

Now i have to pay 15 percent restocking fee to pay so 75$ + shipping back of 50$ so

I lost 10 hours of my time + 125$ + deception + I sold my old monitor for 150$ that was 10x better than this samsung crap and now i'm stuck for 2-3 week without any monitor to work with and i'm a programmer at home..

here a pic of the black of my 7 year old 24" dell..
photo0092lj.jpg

I know nobody here cares about my problems but at least you should care about how big corporations like DirectCanada and Samsung threat their customers....
and that's what they do, they say it's within spec even if it's clearly not and afterward, we pay the price...

The problem is also that most people who will buy this monitor will do blindly and will live with this mega grey black for 5-10 years without even knowing it's the worst piece of garbage ever..

anybody who can live with this kind of black with their monitor shouldn't even comment on this forum and on my posts since they clearly lost any taste in life or they simply don't watch anything on their screen.

Last edited:
Stop ranting and calling names to reviewers and users who write down their experiences.

I never call names on users??

As for reviewers, your right, they received the monitor tested from samsung before their review, i was so piss that i overstepped on the reviewers..
I just wish I WOULD NEVER HAD READ ANY OF THE 10-15 reviews on the net with that 8/10 that's all with no reviews stating -> worst black than TN/e-ips/H-ips/P-IPS/S-PVA panels

and happy lucky you you have one from the good batch... Still all my talks are about the fact that there is tons of defects out there that samsung are saying is WITHIN spec...

and if you say colors are awesome, you never saw a well calibrated S-PVA panel..

but yes white is white and text is sharp... nothing to give it a 8/10..

Last edited:
I guess you must have a defective (?) monitor. The first pic, although camera pics tend to emphasize the problem, doesnt seem good at all. Tbh i have never seen anything else than my 5 years old 24" TN monitor. You may be right, but in all honesty i cant imagine better colors than these. If you see the contrast between black and white, at this moment i write the post, is unbelievable. I am not saying ofc that there are no better blacks. What i say though is to force them to change your monitor, its sad to give so much money and not have a fully working product.

Last edited:
Back