Samsung S27A950D 120Hz

Ok, I finally figured out how to get replacement glasses. Don't go by the model number on the glasses themselves (SSG-3100GB), it is wrong. The right number is on a sticker on the glasses box: SSG-M3150GB. These are the only glasses that will work properly with these monitors. Believe me, I have tried 3 different glasses models made for Samsung TV's (including the SSG-3100GB) and they all kinda work, but not really. You have to tilt your head 45 degrees to the left for them to work properly - no kidding. If you don't tilt your head you lose a lot of brightness and contrast. Seems to be a problem relating to how the polarization angle of the glasses is aligned relative to the polarization angle of the monitor LCD. AFAIK you can *only* get the SSG-M3150GB directly from Samsungparts.com.

You are talking about the yellow sticker on the box? Mine says SSG-3100GB on the yellow sticker. SSG-M3150GB was never formally released AFAIK. Originally these monitors were supposed to come with rechargeable glasses, and then they came out with the cheapy battery ones instead. Samsung tell me there is no difference between the SSG-3100GB provided with the monitor and those for the TV other than being branded Syncmaster on the glasses themselves! So your experience is really concerning!

I check my glasses form the 2011 tv stuff I got to go with the monitor and your right they are 45 degrees off phase form vertical with this monitor. I can’t help but wonder if the tv themselves are also 45 degrees off phase or they did this so you can lay on your side and watch the tv. But I don't really think 3d would work right if you looking at it sideways so that would be kind of silly

It does decrease the brightness a fair bit it but it’s not unwatchable. I most have extra glasses for the rare case where I have friends over and I want to try to watch a movie with it. I don't really think the brightness is reduced enough to really make it unwatchable or to disagreeable.

You are talking about the yellow sticker on the box? Mine says SSG-3100GB on the yellow sticker. SSG-M3150GB was never formally released AFAIK. Originally these monitors were supposed to come with rechargeable glasses, and then they came out with the cheapy battery ones instead. Samsung tell me there is no difference between the SSG-3100GB provided with the monitor and those for the TV other than being branded Syncmaster on the glasses themselves! So your experience is really concerning!

It's weird, my replacement glasses say SSG-3100GB like yours, but the box from the pair that came with my monitor says SSG-M3150GB. BUT curiously they both have the same "Part Code" which is "BN96-18236A".
Don't trust a word that Samsung says; their CSR's are clueless about this product. I don't know why Samsung used a similar or same part number, but the glasses are not the same. Ouster just confirmed this. When ordering extra glasses from Samsungparts.com you have to use the "Part Code" which is "BN96-18236A" which is also on the yellow sticker. You can look up the "Part Code" for the TV version of the SSG-3100GB and it is "BN96-18379A". The glasses are definitely different. The TV ones will work, but you WILL lose significant brightness and contrast for nothing.

Do you guys recommend the 750 for 2D 120 hz gaming? IM not interested in the 3d part. I just want to upgrade my 60hz 27" Samsung.

If your to too picky about backlight bleeding, it's a phenomenal monitor. I am assuming you like glossy screens and your video card has a Displayport output.

Are the glasses batteries CR2025 or CR2032? I've seen some conflicting evidence and just want to be certain

Once they have Crossfire working for 3D I will get another Radeon 6970, the 3D on the S27A950D is great but the hit to framerates when using TriDef is a drawback.

Does anyone know if 3D works through display port yet?

Also has anyone got the native AMD HD3D in Deus Ex Human Revolution working? I turn it on in game and nothing happenes... The screen comes up saying '3D Image' if I change the refresh rate from 23MHz to 24MHz using HDMI but turning on the 3D glasses still just shows a ghosted image. Apologies if this is a driver issue and not related to the S27A950D :)

Last edited:
Hmm interesting... I am obviously doing something wrong.

With the Syncmaster DDD drivers and my 6970 3D will only work through HDMI for me. I get an error message from DDD (something about driver stereo error, I can't remember off hand) on display port and dual-link DVI.

With HDMI I have to manually set the screen to frame sequential 3D mode before running a game, otherwise the screen automatically detects 3D but the shutters on the glasses don't seem to activate properly (power light still shows green though) so I just get a blurry image.

Turning the screen off then on seems to fix this if I forget to manually enable 3D on the menu before running the game.

With the Syncmaster DDD drivers and my 6970 3D will only work through HDMI for me. I get an error message from DDD (something about driver stereo error, I can't remember off hand) on display port and dual-link DVI.

Also has anyone got the native AMD HD3D in Deus Ex Human Revolution working? I turn it on in game and nothing happenes... The screen comes up saying '3D Image' if I change the refresh rate from 23MHz to 24MHz using HDMI but turning on the 3D glasses still just shows a ghosted image. Apologies if this is a driver issue and not related to the S27A950D

These are actually both interconnected issues. DDD needs AMD HD3D to be recognized for frame sequential mode (I have not used DDD since the first few days I had the monitor so this could have changed. They just seem harder to use for me). Unfortunately DisplayPort and DVI are not recognized as AMD HD3D at this time. (DVI may never be). The most resent Catalysts 11.8 drives (possibly pre release 11.8 only it was not in the final official 11.8 release notes) are supposed to enable HD3D recognition for DisplayPort but this may only work in Windows 7 (the pre release drivers were Windows 7 only). IZ3d is the only drives solution I have seen that can provide frame sequential output for ATI cards without AMD HD3D being recognized. And they worked very well for me. I am not sure if they are pre configured to or can work around the Deus Ex native support issue or not. I will start downloading Deuse Ex and give it a quick shot later.

Also a weird thing I stumbled across on my web searching a while ago is that DisplayPort is not HDCP enabled in windows (windows issue not the protocol ) this may cause issues for 3d movies till Microsoft fixes this if it has not already.

Edit: 10.8 should have been 11.8

Last edited:
I have Deus Ex working now, appears to have been an issue with configuring the video settings from in game rather than setting it up through the Deus Ex setup launcher.

I used the Syncmaster DDD driver from the DDD website as it only appeared to kick in when I went to run the a game through the launcher in 3D. The iZ3D driver seemed to run all the time even when using 2D and caused Windows 7 to bump back to compatibility mode when I started 2D applications such as MSN messenger. iZ3d did work with a lot more games and had nowhere near the performance hit of the DDD drivers however games like Portal 2, Rift and Crime Craft had nasty ghosting in certain areas (I havn't managed to get Rift working at all under DDD yet though).

The issue of the 3D glasses not activating some of the time also only seemed to happen under DDD.

Last edited:
I suppose iz3d is kind of always on. You can deactivate the driver whenever you want though as well. I believe it just watches for which programs are running then start intercept and altering all the DX calls. This is way easier then using a launcher. Same reason I hate Creative and Alchemy. (I use a ASUS Xonar audio card so 3d sound works in those old xp games) In general is iz3d should not pay any attention to any program you tell it to ignore though. There is an exception list so if you not running a 3d program I would think it just pass on the dx call un damaged. And windows would just go on it marry way and you wouldn't have to drop down in to compatibility mode.

Last edited:
got mine today. everything works and i was lucky not to get one with blocked pixels. do i need to install the cd in order to calibrate the colors?

No monitor can do 120hz through HDMI.

got mine today. everything works and i was lucky not to get one with blocked pixels. do i need to install the cd in order to calibrate the colors?

No.

Does anyone else's screen not show low resolutions (like a BIOS screen)? My monitor just sits there and the power led blinks.

I have SLI 580's and I assume my only option here is the S27A950D correct?? Its a lot more expensive than the 750D and I cant figure out why other than DVI?
Also did anyone miss 1920x1200 going to this screen? Thats what I would be coming from, and I was considering a U2711 from dell which would have been even more res :\

Is there just no comparison for gaming? (not going to be using 3D) I've been using wide gamut and the higher end dell IPS displays for years and am worried I will be disappointed every time im not in a game :\

Last edited:
dz187 - My 950 seems to show bios screens and such fine. Check what output you are using on your video card, perhaps the card is not activating until Windows/other OS driver has loaded?

Galvin - These screens do have a vertical colour shift but only at extreme angles. I have to lean over mine or crouch below desk level for it to be apparent. There is no colour shift for example between the top and bottom of the screen when sitting in front of it like some of the older TN panels.

Galvin - These screens do have a vertical colour shift but only at extreme angles. I have to lean over mine or crouch below desk level for it to be apparent. There is no colour shift for example between the top and bottom of the screen when sitting in front of it like some of the older TN panels.

Too bad it reflects like a mirror it would of been perfect then if it had a matte coating.
Every review I seen when ever there is dark scene on the monitor I can see everything reflected. That would drive me nuts. Also there has been discussion about wether or not it will do 120hz in 2D on a dual link DVI connection for the 23" screen.

I wonder how they fixed the vertical color shift on a TN panel?

Less color shifting... on a TN? Thats almost worth looking into more seriously, we need some side by side reviews.

Is there a rechargeable 3D glasses for these ?

I know the TV ones exist but reading above it says it won't work well, ?

any ideas ?

I just got mine. I was worried 120hz wouldn't work on my laptop over displayport since it is an nvidia card with optimus (Alienware m11x R3) but it works great.

nvidiaDP.jpg

the colors are decent and the monitor (fastest preset) is pretty fast, seems even faster than the acer gd245hq i previously had.
now all i would like is a solution to have proper 3D support working with my nvidia card, since i wouldn't want to go AMD...
does anyone know when that might happen?

the colors are decent and the monitor (fastest preset) is pretty fast, seems even faster than the acer gd245hq i previously had.
now all i would like is a solution to have proper 3D support working with my nvidia card, since i wouldn't want to go AMD...
does anyone know when that might happen?

samsung 3d operates at a different timing than nvidia 3d. where samsung's shutter glasses stay mainly "open" and close when necessary, nvidia's stay mainly "closed" and open when necessary.

The technologies are not compatible. At least, not for nvidia 3d vision in gaming. Im sure you could still watch 3d movies no problem as long as you use the monitor's 3d and dont try to force it from your computer.

hows the Samsung S23A750D ? it has no DVI and thats whats putting me off it. Why cant they just give us the standard stuff.

samsung 3d operates at a different timing than nvidia 3d. where samsung's shutter glasses stay mainly "open" and close when necessary, nvidia's stay mainly "closed" and open when necessary.

The technologies are not compatible. At least, not for nvidia 3d vision in gaming. Im sure you could still watch 3d movies no problem as long as you use the monitor's 3d and dont try to force it from your computer.

What about that program that was posted a few pages back that enables 3d with nvidia?

If you can run the monitor in 120hz mode with nvidia 3d software enabled there no reason it won’t work it just may not look as good as using the screen with its built in glass in 120hz frame sequential mode. As mentioned before the monitor was engineering for a different style of shutter glass. Nvida method will work in theory but you have to leave all 3d modes off and it may be subjected to slightly different ghosting characteristics. It also possible the timing delays programmed in to the nvida glass driver will not be spot on since it custom for each monitor model. This is possibly why the drivers will not enable without hacking. If there a way to adjust that you may need to but I don’t know if it user exposed.

If you want to run frame sequential. I think you going to be limited to nvidia 3d software or iz3d( i can’t confirm nvidia support as I am in the ATI camp) If you are ok with side by side the TriDef including software will also work but I think side by side kind of like the 1080i of 3d just not as well interpolated.

I tried this monitor's 3D capability in two different stores, it's rather dark and blatant, and very hard to distinguish one object from another, the 3D is shallow and indistinct as well. But what breaks the deal for me was that I got terrible headaches with this monitor every time, it seems only passive 3D is suitable for me.

Hey,

I had this monitor for few months now and I'm having this issue when I go in to Nvidia control panel and change it to 120hz my desktop would go all fuzzy and really hard to read text/font. Please see screenshot for more details. I had to use my SGS2 to take the picture because when I do "print screen" and past it into paint and switch back to 60hz it would show normal display. Can this be fixed or is it the screen thats faulty? Pretty much anything that is displayed on screen in 120hz is poorly displayed, very fuzzy, hard to read text/font that includes games also.

by the way 3D mode works fine.

Using DVI connector

120hz

60hz

Last edited:
Hey,

I had this monitor for few months now and I'm having this issue when I go in to Nvidia control panel and change it to 120hz my desktop would go all fuzzy and really hard to read text/font. Please see screenshot for more details. I had to use my SGS2 to take the picture because when I do "print screen" and past it into paint and switch back to 60hz it would show normal display. Can this be fixed or is it the screen thats faulty? Pretty much anything that is displayed on screen in 120hz is poorly displayed, very fuzzy, hard to read text/font that includes games also.

by the way 3D mode works fine.

Using DVI connector

This looks exactly how my screen looked when I was mistakenly using a Single-link DVI cable instead of a Dual-link DVI cable. If you go into the menu of the display, you can bring up the information page (last menu entry) and it will tell you what signal it thinks it is receiving. Mine said 960x1080 @ 120Hz, If I remember correctly.

So... maybe a bad cable? Not familiar with the nVidia cards, but do they maybe only have one dual-link DVI output and one single-link?

Last edited:
A lot of good information in this thread I think i've read it over a few times, I think i'm overwhelming myself. I'm pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on the s27a750D. I have SLI GTX 570's and one of the 570's has a display port, so if i'm reading everything correctly i'll be able to get true 120hz 2d at least with DP?

And as long as i'm tweaking the software correctly i should be able to get some average 3D as a side benefit? It's 549 on newegg right now which is really tempting me. I'm thinking of going with this over a surround set up.

I can add that nvidia 3dvision does work on this monitor now, by plugging in the nvidia emitter, running setup and choosing monitor as generic CRT.
This did not work when i first got it, so nvidia must've changed it in the new driver.

I tried both by using the nvidia glasses (did'nt work at all) and by using the samsung glasses, which worked but had plenty of crosstalk (frame sequential mode in the monitors menu). Perhaps it can be tuned to work better, not acceptable in this state.

No monitor can do 120hz through HDMI.

I'm currently using this monitor via DisplayPort so 120Hz is fine but I'm a bit confused about this as well. Why would Samsung allow an HDMI input for this monitor when its biggest marketing point is the 3D/120hz aspect, yet it cannot do 1080p/120Hz since HDMI can only handle 10.2 Gbit/s. Upon further sleuthing, I see that there's cables for HDMI that allow it to reach 21 Gbps (to support HD, 3D and 4K resolution video), which should be more than enough to handle 1080p/120 Hz. Why is this? Isn't the bandwidth for 1080p in 3D the same as 1080p/120hz?

The reason many monitors have additional HDMI inputs is so ppl can connect ancient tech, where HDMI is common (tv boxes, consoles, dvd/blueray players etc).

Back