Samsung SA850 on PLS - the first review has been published (preproduction unit)

So I was finally able to set up my 24" Samsung A850 this morning. I didn't have too much time to sit with it as I had to run into work. I hooked it up to my displayport on my Dell XPS 15 L502X and used it for a few minutes on default settings out of the box.

Here are some brief notes:

PROS
- Beautiful crisp clear picture! Colors look excellent and whites are very bright out of the box.
- Excellent viewing angles. This is my 1st IPS, and I love the fact I don't have to look at this monitor dead on to get the best picture.
- No Dead Pixels
- AG Coating is minimal as there is no screen door effect on white/light colors.
- USB 3.0 Hub. Perfect for my new 3.0 Portable Hard Drive and other USB accessories.
- Atheistically, this is a simple, professional, yet elegant looking monitor. MUCH thinner than my old Samsung and the materials are much nicer. Brushed Aluminum / metal surface all over.
- Monitor has many adjustments, and actually can be set very high (for pivot feature), however its great for my setup sitting behind and above my laptop.

CONS
- The bleeding / non even back-light seems to be apparent when I completely darkened my room and just had the screen turned to black. Right side was ok, seemed more apparent on left side top & bottom (see pic)

All that said, I really love this monitor and plan on keeping it. Mind you I'm not a heavy photo editor nor will I watch movies or TV on this monitor so my monitor will almost never be fully black.

Its main purpose is for work space, surfing, office work, some basic multimedia, etc. I just wanted an IPS display and this seems to fit the bill with all the features. Samsung has never disappointed me, and this monitor doesn't disappoint thus far... although I do plan to spend more time with it and try to find some optimal settings from other users.

I am interested to know if it's worth buying one from Provantage to see if I get a better monitor. Id hate to go through the hassle as I don't think this even bothers me as I mentioned above.... but if it's considered a defect, I don't mind trying my luck with another one. Here is the pic of the back light bleeding (from a cell phone):

So I was finally able to set up my 24" Samsung A850 this morning. I didn't have too much time to sit with it as I had to run into work. I hooked it up to my displayport on my Dell XPS 15 L502X and used it for a few minutes on default settings out of the box.

Here are some brief notes:

PROS
- Beautiful crisp clear picture! Colors look excellent and whites are very bright out of the box.
- Excellent viewing angles. This is my 1st IPS, and I love the fact I don't have to look at this monitor dead on to get the best picture.
- No Dead Pixels
- AG Coating is minimal as there is no screen door effect on white/light colors.
- USB 3.0 Hub. Perfect for my new 3.0 Portable Hard Drive and other USB accessories.
- Atheistically, this is a simple, professional, yet elegant looking monitor. MUCH thinner than my old Samsung and the materials are much nicer. Brushed Aluminum / metal surface all over.
- Monitor has many adjustments, and actually can be set very high (for pivot feature), however its great for my setup sitting behind and above my laptop.

CONS
- The bleeding / non even back-light seems to be apparent when I completely darkened my room and just had the screen turned to black. Right side was ok, seemed more apparent on left side top & bottom (see pic)

All that said, I really love this monitor and plan on keeping it. Mind you I'm not a heavy photo editor nor will I watch movies or TV on this monitor so my monitor will almost never be fully black.

Its main purpose is for work space, surfing, office work, some basic multimedia, etc. I just wanted an IPS display and this seems to fit the bill with all the features. Samsung has never disappointed me, and this monitor doesn't disappoint thus far... although I do plan to spend more time with it and try to find some optimal settings from other users.

I am interested to know if it's worth buying one from Provantage to see if I get a better monitor. Id hate to go through the hassle as I don't think this even bothers me as I mentioned above.... but if it's considered a defect, I don't mind trying my luck with another one. Here is the pic of the back light bleeding (from a cell phone):

The one I have is from provantage and its the same as yours. No dead pixels. I do like the viewing angles on this screen. Image doesn't change when you shift a little to the left/right or up/down unless you move a lot.

Does anyone know if this monitor is true 8bit?
Since this monitor does 16.7mil colors does that mean its true 8bit, was reading around and 6bit + FRC can't do 16.7 but around 16.2 or something. I looked at grey scale images and it doesn't show any noticeable banding which dithering would show.

Can people use the proper model number please, it makes things less confusing.

24 inch = S24A850
27 inch = S27A850

Since this monitor does 16.7mil colors does that mean its true 8bit, was reading around and 6bit + FRC can't do 16.7 but around 16.2 or something. I looked at grey scale images and it doesn't show any noticeable banding which dithering would show.

S27A850 is true 8-bit, S24A850 is 6-bit plus FRC. A good FRC implementation can simulate 16.7 million colors and doesn't result in dithering.

The one I have is from provantage and its the same as yours. No dead pixels. I do like the viewing angles on this screen. Image doesn't change when you shift a little to the left/right or up/down unless you move a lot.

the S24A850 is 6-bit + Hi-FRC as explained here. Samsung even stated this on their website here. Both the 24" and 27" versions are 6-bit + FRC

Really? xbitlabs.com said it was just plastic that looks like metal, if I remember correctly.

Hmmm... if it is, they did a good job as it fooled me on initial look & feel. Will check again when I get home. Either way, the whole setup looks clean and very nice.

Can people use the proper model number please, it makes things less confusing.

24 inch = S24A850
27 inch = S27A850

S27A850 is true 8-bit, S24A850 is 6-bit plus FRC. A good FRC implementation can simulate 16.7 million colors and doesn't result in dithering.

it's actually S24A850DW ;)

Try reading the review which is linked to in the first page or some posts from the last few pages:rolleyes:

Try reading the review which is linked to in the first page or some posts from the last few pages:rolleyes:

Those were based on ES mate.... final refined, post-production models will obviously yield better results.

Those were based on ES mate.... final refined, post-production models will obviously yield better results.

Probably not. ES just means an early run. The design in terms of electronics has been set, unless there was a large problem seen by reviewers on the original unit(s). Or unit, because there only seemed to every be one :(

Sorry I went MIA guys.

So, the screen does have some backlight bleeding after I completely darkened the room and put an all black image up. If I didn't do that, I'd never have noticed. It has no effect whatsoever on my usage or enjoyment of the monitor. It's gorgeous, and one of the best purchases I've made in awhile. I will also say this: the backlight bleeding looks a LOT WORSE IN PICTURES than it does in real life. Not sure why or how, but I can honestly say that's been my experience.

The people complaining about it affecting normal use are either:

1. OCD
2. Perfectionists
3. Exaggerating

the backlight bleeding looks a LOT WORSE IN PICTURES than it does in real life. Not sure why or how, but I can honestly say that's been my experience.

The people complaining about it affecting normal use are either:

1. OCD
2. Perfectionists
3. Exaggerating

Believe what you like... yours may have been a lot better than mine. I use 6-7 low end LCD's at work and none of them suffer from what mine has. I wouldn't call it a bleed even as it is more like large spots that are absolutely visible at any lighting when the screen even gets a little dark.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to change the PBP resolution of desktops to the recommended 1280x1440?

I don't have that option, yet the manual says that is the recommended PBP resolution.

If PLS glow / backlight bleed / poor uniformity turns out to be a problem on the Samsung S24A850DW, then perhaps the new Samsung S24A650D MVA monitor may prove to be an option? Unfortunately it's 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200, but the contrast is even better and it will not have any PLS/IPS glow since it's an MVA panel. But perhaps there are other problems with the Samsung S24A650D?

is MVA better than IPS for games (response time, ghosting, input lag)??

and colour reproduction?

and colour reproduction?

Theoretically IPS is better at the areas that you have highlighted, but attributes like uniformity and electronics mean that suitability for a particular purpose comes down to a judgement of the model itself.

and colour reproduction?

Since I'm not a gamer, it's enough that the response time is fast enough for watching movies and similar without ghosting/smearing. As for the color reproduction, I think MVA panels should be quite good, at least far better than TN panels. Also, the contrast is even better than for IPS panels - 1:3000 for S24A650D vs 1:1000 for S24A850DW.

Is the 650D an MVA or a PVA of some kind? Samsung's website doesn't seem to specify.

Is the 650D an MVA or a PVA of some kind? Samsung's website doesn't seem to specify.

Samsung's website said MVA last time I checked. Still hard to find much info about this screen, though. 1920x1080 @ 24" is quite unusual.

There is no free lunch - the angles of PVA/MVA are not as good - and the response time especially of the PVA is much much much slower. Some of the slower transistions of a PVA panel are like 40ms+ last I read a review of one at xbit labs.

These new Samsung's are promising because they have GREAT viewing angles (supposedly even better then IPS) and its a very reactive panel. The downside so far - backlight bleeding and not so great contrast ratio..

Any panel you pick is a compromise....outside of OLED's that cost 8+ grand.

I am keeping an eye on LG's AH-IPS technology. AH stands for Advanced High Performance and is the next step in their IPS development.

AH-IPS monitors should start appearing early next year (Dell U2713?).

There is no free lunch - the angles of PVA/MVA are not as good - and the response time especially of the PVA is much much much slower.

That depends on the image being displayed. If it's a bright image, then you're right that IPS might have a bit better viewing angles. But if it's a dark image, then the IPS glow will make the viewing angles extremely poor on an IPS panel - in fact so poor that the IPS glow is visible even when watching straight on from normal distances (approximately 2 feet). Very annoying!

Regarding the response times, they are better on MVA than on PVA (although still not as good as IPS or TN). For example the G2G response time for the S24A650D is specified at 8 ms.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait for a review anyway to determine how well the S24A650D performs. For me it's still a possible option though if the S24A850DW proves to have the problems I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
That depends on the image being displayed. If it's a bright image, then you're right that IPS might have a bit better viewing angles. But if it's a dark image, then the IPS glow will make the viewing angles extremely poor on an IPS panel - in fact so poor that the IPS glow is visible even when watching straight on from normal distances (approximately 2 feet). Very annoying!

I will counter that if the image is displaying anything but pure black, the shift will affect much more on a VA screen, especially MVA screens which lose contrast massively across the color/brightness range. Recent example of new "high contrast" Benq MVA screen:

MVA Left, IPS Right:
http://product.pcpop.com/000282172/Picture/003861411.html
003861411.jpg

Note that the MVA washes out completely in all color ranges while IPS looks basically normal. Also note that this is a strong angle, and there are plenty of darker shadows and you can see no real IPS glow.

But yes if you look at a pitch black screen with no content MVA would be slightly better, but I usually have images/games/movies/applications on my screens.

There is a reason why Samsung wants in on IPS (PLS) technology.

Last edited:

Quite extreme angles, but I agree the color shift is clearly visible there. However check out this review of the Samsung F2380 MVA monitor (scroll down to the "Viewing Angles" subsection):

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_f2380.htm

The color shift is still visible, but it's not that obvious at all.

But yes if you look at a pitch black screen with no content MVA would be slightly better, but I usually have images/games/movies/applications on my screens.

It doesn't have to be a pitch black screen. For example when there's a larger dark area, or when watching a movie with dark content (or black borders), the IPS glow is clearly visible unless the room is brightly lit. And the most annoying thing was that it was often visible even when watching straigh on from normal viewing distances! At least it was on the HP ZR24W I bought and returned for that reason.

Finally, I gotta wonder why they can't produce a monitor similar to the Samsung S24A850DW or Dell U2412M, but with an AT-W polarizer (to combat IPS glow) and sufficient quality control that makes sure there are no backlight bleeding or uniformity issues. I'd be pretty satisfied with such a monitor, and it ought to be possible to produce with the currently available technology.

Last edited:
Quite extreme angles, but I agree the color shift is clearly visible there. However check out this review of the Samsung F2380 MVA monitor (scroll down to the "Viewing Angles" subsection):

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_f2380.htm

The color shift is still visible, but it's not that obvious at all.

If you refer to the EX231WP thread and the TFTCentral review of the EW2420 you can see that there are panels about with regular VA colour shift, and newer, simplified ones with aggressive colour shift as depicted in PCPOP's images.

Samsung is cPVA, not MVA. PVA has always been better than MVA for viewing angles.

But I can't use either for a desktop monitor(tried two PVAs), because I find the detail popping in an out from viewing angle shift extremely annoying (even headache inducing with a false parallax effect). I do have an MVA TV though, it is worse, but since I sit at a much greater distance the effect is greatly reduced while sitting on my couche watching it. But it still sucks, when I tried to watch when sitting at my computer (washed out low contrast).

A-TW polarizer must have been considered too expensive and too limited an application to continue with, even pro screens don't get it anymore. I love mine.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to change the PBP resolution of desktops to the recommended 1280x1440?

I don't have that option, yet the manual says that is the recommended PBP resolution.
Google powerstrip it will let you add custom resolutions to your monitor here is a good guide Link . 1280x1440 doesn't seem to be perfect as it is a bit blurry and the divider in the middle has a few pixels between the split. I also added 1920x1440 for a perfect 4:3 resolution for some older games... for some reason it was picking up 1856x1392 as my max 4:3 resolution...

Regarding the response times, they are better on MVA than on PVA (although still not as good as IPS or TN). For example the G2G response time for the S24A650D is specified at 8 ms.

Not an expert or anything - but I been reading Xbit labs for a while. And the problem with the PVA/MVA panels is that for some transistions (other then gray to gray) the speed is REALLY slow. So this will lead to visibile ghosting because the monitor will refresh before the pixel can change.

What's worse is that there tends to be response time compensation artifacts - because to get even that 8ms G2G compensation is not 'natural'.. This tends to introduce input lag as well..

There is a reason that IPS won out - its the better technology for most people..

Not an expert or anything - but I been reading Xbit labs for a while. And the problem with the PVA/MVA panels is that for some transistions (other then gray to gray) the speed is REALLY slow. So this will lead to visibile ghosting because the monitor will refresh before the pixel can change.

What's worse is that there tends to be response time compensation artifacts - because to get even that 8ms G2G compensation is not 'natural'.. This tends to introduce input lag as well..

There is a reason that IPS won out - its the better technology for most people..

That's correct.

*PS (IPS and PLS) - best viewing angles and adequate response time (overall best image quality).
*VA (PVA and MVA) - average viewing angles and slowest response time (overall average image quality).
TN - worst viewing angles and fastest response time (overall worst image quality).

I have to add:

*PS (IPS and PLS) - average contrast and IPS/PLS glow.
*VA (PVA and MVA) - best contrast and no IPS/PLS glow.
TN - average contrast and no IPS/PLS glow.

Back