Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gb 32mb 149.99 shipped

BlueAqua

Gawd
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

2 weeks ago I bought 4 of these for $159.99 each and now they're 10 dollars cheaper. Newegg gave me the price difference. Edit: Turns out they only gave me the price difference on 1 out of the 4 drives, dang.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152100

I set them up in a Raid 5 array and they are working wonderfully.

I've been eyeballing these. I need another big drive soon, so I might plunge on a pair of these later this month...

Does anyone know about the warranty on the Samsung? I was wanting to get a 750Gig HD in a couple days. The only thing holding me back on the Samsung is not finding a warranty.

Does anyone know about the warranty on the Samsung? I was wanting to get a 750Gig HD in a couple days. The only thing holding me back on the Samsung is not finding a warranty.
Fry's clearly shows a 5 yr warranty.

Samsung offers a 3-yr warranty on this drive.

Hey thanks guys. Yeah, I was talking about the Samsung. The Seagate is calling my name now though. Have to think on it. I like the Seagate for the warranty, and that Seagate has some really nice drives. My last Samsung was faster, quieter, and cooler than any of my Seagates. So I'm looking through the reviews on Newegg to get an idea of there life. My problem was that I bought 2 Samsung drives about 2 years ago. They both died on me, and they only had 1 year warranties for OEM at the time. So that is the reason I wanted to know the warranty.

Me too, i am in need for some drivers mostly 500GB drives for a server i have been looking at seagate,wd,samsung, and Hitachi's drives. The customer reviewers at newegg for the seagate say that support sucks and the warranty only gets you refurb. drives, so i am thinking of taking the WD 500gig green drives and/or samsung drives, the Hitachi dosent seem bad either...

These are nice deals, they are pretty close to my wants, but not quite. When 1Tb hard drives run around $150 I will purchase one, I don't think this is far away.

Just a warning about buying OEM drives from Newegg:

Newegg has yet to train it's shipping monkeys to properly package bare hard drives for shipping. Your OEM drive may arrive damaged due to negligence on Newegg's part so INSPECT your packages carefully. If the HD is not packed well, or not packed in a large enough box to provide adequate shock protection, or heaven forbid packed loosely, be prepared to deal with an RMA back to Newegg.

If you plan to order more than one drive do it on SEPERATE orders for each drive. Otherwise the Newegg shipping monkeys will 'stack' the drives against each other, tape them together, and then wrap that stack in (probably not enough) bubblewrap. This causes the potential for the drives to 'slap' against each other during shipping and arrive at your door in non-working condition.

I like Newegg and have been shopping there forever, but I still feel that people need to be warned of these caveats when they buy an OEM (bare) HDD (or optical drive) from them.

I will say that the Seagate returns is very easy. I had one 320Gig die on me. Yes, I really have had a bad streak in the last couple months with drives. Well the only Seagate I ever had die on me though. You go to there website you turn in the warranty info. Then you pick a drive like your buying a new drive from them. Then add it to your cart. Boom your done RMA send in drive, and get a replacement. From common practice most Hard Drive companies send back refurbed drives. So yes Seagate does this to. I have had in the past Western Digital, and Maxtor do it to me. What was teh worst part Maxtor sent a drive that was worse than the one I sent in. This was before Seagate bought them.

Yes, all hard drive manufactors that I have dealt with all replace with refurb drives, and the experience I have had with refurb drives is that all of them far outlasted the new drives they replaced, so most likely you will get a better drive than you got new, in fact if I could buy refurb drives consistently, that's all I would buy.

Ordered this almost 1 month ago for $169.99 from newegg. Sent an email to the return/rma department and got a $20 refund! Thanks

Just a warning about buying OEM drives from Newegg:

Newegg has yet to train it's shipping monkeys to properly package bare hard drives for shipping. Your OEM drive may arrive damaged due to negligence on Newegg's part so INSPECT your packages carefully. If the HD is not packed well, or not packed in a large enough box to provide adequate shock protection, or heaven forbid packed loosely, be prepared to deal with an RMA back to Newegg.

If you plan to order more than one drive do it on SEPERATE orders for each drive. Otherwise the Newegg shipping monkeys will 'stack' the drives against each other, tape them together, and then wrap that stack in (probably not enough) bubblewrap. This causes the potential for the drives to 'slap' against each other during shipping and arrive at your door in non-working condition.

I like Newegg and have been shopping there forever, but I still feel that people need to be warned of these caveats when they buy an OEM (bare) HDD (or optical drive) from them.

I've bought 12 hard drives from them in the past several months. Each time the drive has been packed in bubble wrap and taped up securly then that was packed in foam peanuts.

Never had an issue with that packaging. Maybe I just got lucky.

I've bought 12 hard drives from them in the past several months. Each time the drive has been packed in bubble wrap and taped up securly then that was packed in foam peanuts.

Retail drives or OEM (bare) drives?

I buy 8 - 10 drives a month on average (sometimes more, sometimes less) and I've NEVER had one packed with peanuts. They always just wrap them in large cell bubblewrap and then tape the hell out of them. Not a bad thing in and of itself, it's just that they aren't using large enough boxes - and when you order multiple drives in the same order they cram them all in the same small box right against each other.

I'd just suck it up and buy from another e-tailer but I find it difficult to switch from Newegg, their prices are hard to beat and aside from this annoying issue I've never had a reason to complain. I <3 my Newegg, but I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to start telling people 'Don't buy HDDs from Newegg unless you buy the retail package'. :)

Wow, that sucks! I've ordered a number of OEM hard drives from newegg, and oem optical drives. They are wrapped in a good amount of bubble wrap, and in a large box of peanuts. Maybe they like me more...

EDIT: I just wanted to add, I ordered 10 hd's at once from zzf, and they did an outstanding job packing them. They were in a stiff hd holder, and each hd was seperate from each other. Very good job.

Same Experience Here, but I usually order it with other stuff, so the box is much bigger.

My 4 OEM drives came wrapped in pairs of 2. They each had a ton of bubble wrap around them in a large box with lots of peanuts. No problem here, everything worked out great for me.

Same packaging here - 2 drives were individually bubble wrapped and placed in a larger box with peanuts (ordered other items too).

I read some of these reviews on Newegg about the F1 Sammys and they scared me away.
I also tried to look on Samsungs website for RMA info and it was horrible.
If you try WD or Seagate it is super easy.
When I did my 3 or 4 year old WD250KS's I got back 2 new WD250AAKS's!
Never had an experience with Seagate yet but since I just bought (3) 1TB drives + (1) 750 to go with me (2) 750 7200.10s I might be doing RMA in the future.

i just rma'ed a hard drive to samsung , had to email them but it was painless they got back to monday morning no questions asked

Does anyone know how these stack up against other drives 750gb drives, like say a WD7500AAKS?

i just rma'ed a hard drive to samsung , had to email them but it was painless they got back to monday morning no questions asked

If you had to email them, how do you do advance RMA? Do you need an email and a follow up call?

not sure , on advanced rma - i think the reason i had to email them i was RMA'ing a hard drive out of a dell & the serial didnt pick up in the RMA database but they still went ahead an did it :)

Back