Samsung T240HD Review + Pics

TN-panel TV makes no sense. All I can picture is you lean back to watch TV, and all the colors on top of the screen get inverted.

I also thought text is extremely poor quality on this panel very fuzzy.

I disagree on the text being poor. The one i saw had quite sharp text. As for the tv, at normal desk sittings, it's damn good. This is obviously not meant to be a tv replacement, but it's damn good for pc users who on occasion may want to watch tv at their desk.

Agreed, but it's more of a hybrid device targeted for "desktop TV watchers" so as not to have viewing angle issues.

But I'd agree that one of their nicer S-PVA panels would be better.

On the text front, I find TN panels are at the top of the list in regards to sharpness and clarity so maybe you viewed a defective unit?

TN-panel TV makes no sense. All I can picture is you lean back to watch TV, and all the colors on top of the screen get inverted.

I also thought text is extremely poor quality on this panel very fuzzy.

I just came home and spent an hour or so setting up my T240HD (for you Sam's Club members, I picked this up for $505 after tax, so if you are afraid of dead pixels like I was, it was a great deal). This is my first LCD monitor for home use, so it was highly likely I was going to fall in love with it anyway, but here are my thoughts so far. My comparisons are coming from a top of the line 120hz sony 1080p LCD tv, laptop LCD, and a 19" Acer from work.

TV Quality / TV Tuner
-- Awesome. My apartment complex is on satellite, so there must be a huge ass antenna here somewhere, because I plugged the cable into the wall and it picked up 7 air channels and 10+ DTV Air channels. Unfortunately, at the time I was watching, only a couple of the HD channels were actually airing HD programming (mostly local news), but the two channels running in 1080i looked fantastic. I did a little messing with the picture settings, far from trying to get it perfect. I would put the 1080i air signal up against my parent's Direct TV 1080i. Very impressed with the tuner. Obviously, YMMV, but I am getting full antenna strength in the digital menu, so I am sure that is a big part of it. Remote is higher quality than expected.

Setup
-- Typical pain in the ass multi monitor setup. I'm currently plugged in VGA to my laptop, because my main rig's vid card blew out. This will have to do until I build a new one. Screen is flush on all sides, except the top, for some reason. Cutting off probably 4-7mm guestimate. The Vista sidebar is the only thing currently showing on the laptop, and it is only showing on the laptop, so I need to get that figured out, but that's not a monitor issue. Driver setup is a pretty lame HTML menu experience. Will try out the color setup software and get back.

Panel/Color Quality
-- I am very impressed with the color right out of the box with auto-calibration. Blacks are very black. Whites next to black are good, haven't messed with it enough to see if it improves. White text jumps off of the grey forum background. Black on white very readable, and this is coming from an attorney (I do A LOT of mind numbing reading, very picky about text quality and font). Viewing angles were better than expected after hearing quite a few negatives. Sitting about three feet away. Getting closer gets really wonky, so that might be a consideration for some. Have yet to run a dead pixel program.

Gaming
-- Just hooked up my 360 Elite via HDMI, so I will test it out and report back. As far as PC gaming, we will have to see what my little laptop can pump out if I give it more video ram in the bios.

Touch sensitive power button
-- Argh. I am positive someone has returned a perfectly fine unit thinking it was not functioning. It took me a while to get the thing to turn on. Also of note, the little glow down at the power button CAN be turned off. Not sure if that has been mentioned yet. It is kind of a nuisance, but a sexy nuisance, like dating a hot midwestern chick who is into country music.

Case
-- Currently my main complaint. The interior walls of the case which border the panel are just as glossy as the rest of it. So, you get that upside down "lake" reflection on icons placed near an edge. I am not sure if there is a way to fix it, but I will certainly be trying. From an aesthtic standpoint, the rest of the case is very attractive. The "touch of color" is pretty unnoticeable, but the clear plastic against it and the black is a nice touch. VERY SHINY. Monitor is not reflective, but I am currently typing while getting a pretty clear picture of the ceiling fan behind me off of the case.

Stand
-- Same glossy shine as the casing, looks as good as a stand can. Installing it was a simple force it in situation. We all know it does not have a VESA mount. Tilting is not a one hand enterprise, at least not on my desk. It's a little too firm. Does not pivot or swivel, which would be nice, but it is very heavy compared to standard LCD monitors, so that is understandable.

Overall, I am very impressed with initial quality. I'll check back in after some further review. If you have any questions, feel free, but I am currently digital camera-less, so it will have to be a literary affair.

Samsung has a zero dead pixels policy, correct?

I played around with the T220 at Best Buy and loved the touch power button. Innovation like that is what I find most intriguing. Samsung knows how to push the limits even in the smallest of ways. It's neat to just walk up and have the monitor sense you upon placing a finger on it, almost like waking it up.

I can't afford a T240 or T240HD so maybe I'll go for the T220.

Enjoy the T240HD!

For those that picked the T240 over the T260, what was your reasoning? Too big a screen, more expensive, or did you notice the quality wasn't as good?

I'm thinking of picking up the T260 over the T240, but I've seen far more positive feedback on this forum of the T240 than the T260, Not that the feedback of the T260 has been negative, it's just that this thread is 5 pages, while the T260 thread is only 2. So I have more confidence in the T240, and am hesitant to pick up the T260.

That's strange. For some reason on my T260 HD the color menu options are grayed out.

I have a DVI connection, and the picture is set to Custom.

I'm planning on buying this monitor. I see people ask if there's any input lag, and still no answer. For those who own it, can you do a test by hooking up 2 monitors? I have Samsung's 215tw and the input lag is terrible. I want to replace it in the coming months.

So can anyone else comment on the viewing angles? Or more pics? I guess I'll have to see it for myself, but everything seems positive. I just can't drop $450 on the Benq G2400WD w/o seeing it first. This I'll probably pick up at BB, though I was gonna get the non-HD version, since any gaming will be pc. I wanted a decent all around monitor for browsing, gaming, movies and what have you. The T240 is a good choice then?

For those that picked the T240 over the T260, what was your reasoning? Too big a screen, more expensive, or did you notice the quality wasn't as good?

I'm thinking of picking up the T260 over the T240, but I've seen far more positive feedback on this forum of the T240 than the T260, Not that the feedback of the T260 has been negative, it's just that this thread is 5 pages, while the T260 thread is only 2. So I have more confidence in the T240, and am hesitant to pick up the T260.

+1. Also wondering why there's not much on the net about the 26" version, considering they are the same price on bestbuy.com ...

Went to BB store and the T260 (nonHD) version, and it looks gorgeous. Just wondering if there's some weird reason everyone goes with the 24" instead?

+1. Also wondering why there's not much on the net about the 26" version, considering they are the same price on bestbuy.com ...

Went to BB store and the T260 (nonHD) version, and it looks gorgeous. Just wondering if there's some weird reason everyone goes with the 24" instead?

Are you sure that isn't the T260 as the same price as the T240HD? They are normally not the same price.

I just didn't need 26" inches, simple as that.

Can someone please clarify the situation on the 1:1 mapping as far as the non HD versions are concerned? If i buy the 24 or the 26 version(non-HD) and connect the 360 over with VGA it wont do 1:1? What happens with the 360 over HDMI for 720p and 1080p? thanks

The image is stretched, unless its got like a "Wide", "Aspect" mode. As for PQ, I would guess its the same as the HD but without the tuner of course. Was watching Transformers Blu Ray last night and honestly it looked good, but at times it was very pixelated more so in dark scenes and sometimes blacks were crushed and had this wierd haze like picture. My settings are over saturated mind you (for games) but for movies I have no clue. I tweaked it around a bit and still the pic looked very pixelated and crushed (not grainy because thats from the film of Blu Ray itself). Suggestions?

what monitor do you have? which resolutions are you talking about? have you seen my post? thanks

I purchased the T260 (non hd version), and held onto it for around 20 days before returning it to best buy. Let me start by saying, yes I have a nice camera, and no I didn't take any pictures (sorry) and also that I calibrated using a Spyder2. I know it isn't the greatest calibration set, but the calibrated image far surpassed the out of box image.

The first and most immediate problem is presented by the case itself being far too reflective. I like that the screen is not glossy, but must the case be? You can see a reflection of anything near the edge of the screen and you can sure as hell see anything else in the room reflected off the case. The stand itself also seems extremely poorly built. There was far too much "wiggle" at the base of the stand. Whether or not this bothers you is subjective, but considering this isn't standard VESA mount it was a big issue for me.

It isn't all bad though. I used this for gaming in Quake 3, TF2, CS:S, and some others. I found the response time more than enough for me, and this is comparing it to playing on an FW900. After calibration, colors were sharp and banding wasn't too horrible (at most times). Head on viewing is good for most applications, but as we know with TN panels leaning back to watch something isn't an option... Side to side viewing angles were respectable though. I did find the black crush really distracting in dark levels on CS:S and such though. Playing doom 3 on this could be painful. I will update more later if I have time.

And just a note again, I do not have the monitor anymore as I returned it, so I can only give my opinion and not do any actual testing anymore.

Can someone please clarify the situation on the 1:1 mapping as far as the non HD versions are concerned? If i buy the 24 or the 26 version(non-HD) and connect the 360 over with VGA it wont do 1:1? What happens with the 360 over HDMI for 720p and 1080p? thanks
Hey guys any owners of the non-HD models who can answer my request? thanks again in advance.

Hey Fleat they let you return your monitor back to Best Buy? The policy for monitors is 15 days (had it for 21 days) and quite frankly as good as it is with games, I just can't watch movies on it. It looks great in bright scenes but when it gets into darker scenes I can literally see all of the pixels and as mentioned already, a wierd haze covers the picture during darker scenes. For me the black crush is either there or its not. Its wierd. For gaming though its a great monitor, but for me personally watching BD dark scenes gets annoying!

I really don't know what the policy is anymore, but I am really good friends with the store manager and basically I just chatted and caught up with him while he had someone do the return. And yea.. the black crush and weird haze are definitely extremely noticeable and frustrating at times.

Anyone have any idea why the color options are grayed out, and I can't change the green, blue, and red colors? I'm using custom option for picture and I'm using a DVI connection for my monitor.

Anyone have any idea why the color options are grayed out, and I can't change the green, blue, and red colors? I'm using custom option for picture and I'm using a DVI connection for my monitor.

I don't think it allows you to change the color for DVI under picture. I have the HD version and it's greyed out for me as well.

Anyone can comment on these please? Preferably an owener on the non-HD versions? Thanks

Anyone can comment on these please? Preferably an owener on the non-HD versions? Thanks

ggp-Only the HD versions do 1:1 mapping, the non-HD models won't.

What's up guys, new member here. I just ordered the T240HD and I want to hook up my wii with component cables. So I'm just wondering what I'm gonna have to do when I first get it. Will it recognize my wii is plugged in and automatically display the game in 480p or will I have to adjust the settings? Also how easy is it to set up. Can you watch tv as soon as you hook up your cable to it and turn it on? I plan to use mine mainly as a tv and this is my first time getting a monitor/hdtv hybrid. All help would be appreciated.

I don't think it allows you to change the color for DVI under picture. I have the HD version and it's greyed out for me as well.

So does this mean that a calibration tool also wouldn't be able to alter the colors?

The monitor looks potentially great, but I can't really say it's a keeper until I've seen it properly calibrated.

So does this mean that a calibration tool also wouldn't be able to alter the colors?

The monitor looks potentially great, but I can't really say it's a keeper until I've seen it properly calibrated.

You can adjust the color if you are in "TV" mode but it looks like the RBG gain sliders will only move by adjusting the color tone when it's being used as a PC monitor(or Mac monitor if you are so inclined...:)) which is kind of strange.

What's up guys, new member here. I just ordered the T240HD and I want to hook up my wii with component cables. So I'm just wondering what I'm gonna have to do when I first get it. Will it recognize my wii is plugged in and automatically display the game in 480p or will I have to adjust the settings? Also how easy is it to set up. Can you watch tv as soon as you hook up your cable to it and turn it on? I plan to use mine mainly as a tv and this is my first time getting a monitor/hdtv hybrid. All help would be appreciated.

Rip-I'm using mine as a computer monitor so I can't answer your question about the Wii but as a T.V. it is really easy to setup. It has 3 auto-channel option(Cable, Air, and Auto) if you hit Auto it grabs both cable and HD OTA channels, it's as easy as setting up a regular television.

Yes it'll look fine when playing Wii; it'll be crisp, but I think you have to make it Wide to fill the screen. It doesn't lose any picture, but it does get somewhat distorted if that annoys you a lot. Its a great monitor for games, but for Blu Ray and upscaled DVD movies are full of pixelation in dark scenes. Other than that its a good monitor. Had to return it though, just for the movie issue; I love movies!

Hey guys I just got my t260hd and I performed a cable scan and some of the channels still look staticy. I just have regular comcast cable so did I perform the right tuning or am I supposed to do the Auto or Air scan?

Hey guys I just got my t260hd and I performed a cable scan and some of the channels still look staticy. I just have regular comcast cable so did I perform the right tuning or am I supposed to do the Auto or Air scan?

Rip-If you hit auto it will pick up both the cable and air channels...some of my local HD channels look better on air than off of comcast on my t260hd.

I have a problem a couple hd channels have weak signals and they constantly break up and pixelize. The screen even goes blank sometimes and then comes back. When it goes blank it says weak or no signal. The channel that messes up the most is nbc 5 in my area. I need to know if its the cable or station or more importantly if it's my monitor. All cable channels are fine though but the highest resolution they're in is 480i so maybe that's why. Also when i auto program for both air and cable a menu comes up for analog and digital. and under both analog and digital it wants me to choose one of these 3 choices STD, HRC, or IRC. Also the highest resolution i've gotten in my area is 1080i. Is my tv not picking up 1080p or are these stations really just in 1080i?

I got a question for everyone who has the T240HD and uses it as a computer monitor, playing computer games (fps's and such)

The tests at Digital Versus say that the T240HD has an input lag of 50ms (which is 3 frames in a video game) I'm wondering if it's accurate or not, do you guys notice any delay?

I have a problem a couple hd channels have weak signals and they constantly break up and pixelize. The screen even goes blank sometimes and then comes back. When it goes blank it says weak or no signal. The channel that messes up the most is nbc 5 in my area. I need to know if its the cable or station or more importantly if it's my monitor. All cable channels are fine though but the highest resolution they're in is 480i so maybe that's why. Also when i auto program for both air and cable a menu comes up for analog and digital. and under both analog and digital it wants me to choose one of these 3 choices STD, HRC, or IRC. Also the highest resolution i've gotten in my area is 1080i. Is my tv not picking up 1080p or are these stations really just in 1080i?

Rip-Are the channels that lose signal OTA channels or cable channels? I don't recall getting the 3 choices on mine but I think you would choose STD(Someone correct me if I'm wrong). My hightest resolution is also 1080i on the HD channels, I imagine that's the resolution they are broadcast at.

Rip-Are the channels that lose signal OTA channels or cable channels? I don't recall getting the 3 choices on mine but I think you would choose STD(Someone correct me if I'm wrong). My hightest resolution is also 1080i on the HD channels, I imagine that's the resolution they are broadcast at.
they are over the air...you know channels like nbc and cbs...and now today i did another auto programming and now i dont even get NBC in HD anymore. I just get it in standard definition which looks crappy on my hd. Maybe i got rid of it by doing a remove scramble channel scan? Is there a way I can get it back?

I think the service port is used to get firmware updates. That'd be my guess or it could be used with other Samsung things by snyc like Bravia tvs do with Sony stuff.

That's what I was thinking. Do you think it would be possible for samsung to make the menu text bigger and the numbers appear bigger when you change the channel with a firmware update?

they are over the air...you know channels like nbc and cbs...and now today i did another auto programming and now i dont even get NBC in HD anymore. I just get it in standard definition which looks crappy on my hd. Maybe i got rid of it by doing a remove scramble channel scan? Is there a way I can get it back?

You may want to get a splitter and hook up an antenna along with the cable, that might solve your problem with losing the OTA channels.

Got the T240HD last night at Fry's. Picture looks amazing, but I get a small wavy effect near the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure if it's my video card or not. I am connecting to DirecTV tonight. If I still see waves, will probably exchange. (I'm guessing it's my crappy old video card though).

Back