Samsung To Invest $4 billion in Austin Plant

HardOCP News

[H] News
Samsung Electronics announced today that it plans to spend $4 billion renovating its Austin, Texas plant.

Samsung's Tuesday announcement is its latest push into the lucrative logic chip business. In June, Samsung said it would spend nearly $2 billion to build a new production line in South Korea to ramp up mobile chips that work as a brain in smartphones and tablet computers.

Austin is quickly turning into a cheap but effective alternative to silicon valley. Every company that lays off here (freescale, amd, dell), there are plenty of others waiting to swoop up the engineers.

I'm actually surprised Google or Microsoft don't have more of a presence here. More job competition is always good :).

The first logic chip off the assembly line needs to be implanted in Lisette Lee's birdbrain, she apperantly needs it more than their smartphones.

what's so special about Texas and California that computer parts are made in these two states? Why not, say, Indiana or Montana (well Montana has a glaring lack of people, lol)

what's so special about Texas and California that computer parts are made in these two states? Why not, say, Indiana or Montana (well Montana has a glaring lack of people, lol)
Cattle and oranges are little known required components in silicon production.

Austin is quickly turning into a cheap but effective alternative to silicon valley. Every company that lays off here (freescale, amd, dell), there are plenty of others waiting to swoop up the engineers.

I'm actually surprised Google or Microsoft don't have more of a presence here. More job competition is always good :).

I don't know about Google, but there are more people with tertiary educations in the greater Seattle area than DFW. Also, no corporate tax.

I don't know about Google, but there are more people with tertiary educations in the greater Seattle area than DFW. Also, no corporate tax.

Nope we are all just busy riding around our horses and screaming yeehaw!

In all seriousness, DFW is 200+ miles north of Austin, so I'm not sure of the relevance. Also there are tons of engineers and comp sci people here. Tons of tech here: Samsung, Intel, Apple, AMD, Freescale, Qualcomm, Nvidia, IBM, Dell, the list goes on...

Texas is one of the most business friendly states. Also there is no state income tax and housing is cheap, so it's no real surprise people are coming here.

Nope we are all just busy riding around our horses and screaming yeehaw!

In all seriousness, DFW is 200+ miles north of Austin, so I'm not sure of the relevance. Also there are tons of engineers and comp sci people here. Tons of tech here: Samsung, Intel, Apple, AMD, Freescale, Qualcomm, Nvidia, IBM, Dell, the list goes on...

Texas is one of the most business friendly states. Also there is no state income tax and housing is cheap, so it's no real surprise people are coming here.

Sorry, Austin. Not sure why you'd take exception with Seattle having more college educated people, thems just the facts. WA has a very regressive tax system even in comparison to Texas. No corporate tax and no state income. Microsoft doesn't have that much incentive to move there. They also aren't really a large manufacturing company.

I'm glad your area is doing well, but it doesn't have much to do with the question in your OP. Though, Google might want to change it up. Austin would be much better than the state they reside in ;)

Back