Samsung unveils SyncMaster 245T, 275T

mrtoasty

n00b
Engadget story

Samsung has announced six new displays specifically for North America, three of which we've never seen before, and three of which appear to be foreign imports. First up is the 24-inch SyncMaster 245T (pictured), which will be available in March priced at $799.99, and comes with a 3000:1 contrast ratio, 1920 x 1200 resolution, and an 80mm stand with tilt and swivel. If you prefer a few more inches of viewable screen and don't mind sticking with the same resolution, go for the 27-inch 275T, which will be available in February at a price point of $999.99. Next up is the announcement of the US availability of the 19-inch SyncMaster 932B which is decked out with a glossy finish, a unique ball hinge for smooth tilting, a 700:1 contrast ratio, 5-millisecond response time, 1280 x 1024 resolution, and a comforting but practically meaningless Windows Vista certification. This model will be available in February for $249.99. Samsung has also revealed the existence of the 19-inch SyncMaster 906BW which will be launched at the same time as the 20- and 22-inch 206BW and 226BW become available in the US. These models will be put on sale in February priced at $279.99, $349.99, and $429.99, respective to each display's increase in screen size. Similar to the 245 and 275T, this range also features the same 3000:1 contrast ratio, and 16:10 aspect ratio as its cousins.
Of course, no mention of 1:1 scaling among other things. $799.99 for the 245T is nice; hopefully this will light a fire under BenQ and force the price on the FP241W down more. 275T 27"er should be interesting up against Dell's new 27" as well.

Ooh, first LG, now Samsung! Good thing I put off getting the Dell 2007FPW.

:D

Crap. I thought I finally picked the right widescreen LCD for me (BenQ FP241WZ), and Samsung has to go and announce a very interesting sounding 245T!

The waiting game sucks, and I'm getting tired of playing it! :mad:

I want to know what the panel types are.

I believe both are S-PVA panels.

The 275T is definitely based on this panel:

LTM270M1

As for the 245T, Samsung doesn't list a 24" panel with the same specs as the announcement, but since the 244T uses a S-PVA panel the 245T probably will too.

Ooh, first LG, now Samsung! Good thing I put off getting the Dell 2007FPW.

:D

Don't know why. There's not a competitor in there for the 2007FPW. Well, not one based on my assumptions from the model numbers.

The 225BW was a TN panel monitor. Suitable for games, okay for movies, and not okay for professional graphics work because of lack of color accuracy. If the BW means the same basic construction as a 225BW, the 19" 906BW, 20" 206BW, and 22" 226BW aren't really competitive quality-wise with the Dell monitor. Then, the 24" 245T and 27" 275T are going to be a lot more expensive than a 20" 2007FPW. I don't know anything about the 932B, but the press release says a glossy finish, which I'm not crazy about.

Don't know why. There's not a competitor in there for the 2007FPW. Well, not one based on my assumptions from the model numbers.

The 225BW was a TN panel monitor. Suitable for games, okay for movies, and not okay for professional graphics work because of lack of color accuracy. If the BW means the same basic construction as a 225BW, the 19" 906BW, 20" 206BW, and 22" 226BW aren't really competitive quality-wise with the Dell monitor. Then, the 24" 245T and 27" 275T are going to be a lot more expensive than a 20" 2007FPW. I don't know anything about the 932B, but the press release says a glossy finish, which I'm not crazy about.

Because I don't want to get the lesser-quality S-PVA Dell 2007WPF that they've seemed to now switch to. I'm really holding out for an S-ISP, preferably cheaper than the NEC.

Any word on what types of inputs these will have (other then DVI and D-SUB)?

Because I don't want to get the lesser-quality S-PVA Dell 2007WPF that they've seemed to now switch to. I'm really holding out for an S-ISP, preferably cheaper than the NEC.

get a dell 3007 garaunteed s-ips still right?

All of Samsung's current monitors with S-PVA panels have horrendous lag, and I bet these are no exception. The poor viewing angle of S-PVA panels is also a problem, especially with large monitors. I don't see any compelling reason to get these monitors.

All of Samsung's current monitors with S-PVA panels have horrendous lag, and I bet these are no exception. The poor viewing angle of S-PVA panels is also a problem, especially with large monitors. I don't see any compelling reason to get these monitors.

That is true. My 204B has a horrible viewing angle compared to my 2405FPW.

So the 226BW will be released on February? I can wait. Any word yet about 1:1 pixel mapping on that monitor?

I'm ticked they didn't announce a successor for the 215tw, I was planning on going and picking one up in the next week. Would much rather have a newer model that had had some of the kinks worked out.

I was told yesterday while out shopping that BB and Future Shop do not carry the T series,so buying eithier of them at those stores appears to be a non option,to bad as both places have generous return policies. :(

From the press release: "With the 3000:1 super-high dynamic contrast ratio"

Disappointing -- thought for a moment that the 3000:1 ratio represented a breakthrough in traditional or "native" contrast...

If it's dynamic contrast, some of the LCD TV's are advertising much higher measurements (and I'm guessing higher native contrast as well...)

And only 1 DVI I guess. That really isn't good enough with all of the high end graphics cards having dual DVI these days and many consumer devices also having digital outputs...

Or maybe I'm just complaining too much for a unit at that price...(The HP 30" has three digital inputs if I recall, but costs over twice as much...

From the press release: "With the 3000:1 super-high dynamic contrast ratio"

Disappointing -- thought for a moment that the 3000:1 ratio represented a breakthrough in traditional or "native" contrast...

If it's dynamic contrast, some of the LCD TV's are advertising much higher measurements (and I'm guessing higher native contrast as well...)

And only 1 DVI I guess. That really isn't good enough with all of the high end graphics cards having dual DVI these days and many consumer devices also having digital outputs...

Or maybe I'm just complaining too much for a unit at that price...(The HP 30" has three digital inputs if I recall, but costs over twice as much...

Given the price it will sell for,yes you are complaining a little too much.

Samsung has also revealed the existence of the 19-inch SyncMaster 906BW which will be launched at the same time as the 20- and 22-inch 206BW and 226BW become available in the US. These models will be put on sale in February priced at $279.99, $349.99, and $429.99, respective to each display's increase in screen size. Similar to the 245 and 275T, this range also features the same 3000:1 contrast ratio, and 16:10 aspect ratio as its cousins.

I think it's safe to assume that the 206BW and 226BW models will signal the immediate discontinuation of the 205BW and 225BW.

Based on the claimed performance and MSRP of these new models I cannot find a single reason for anyone to purchase a 205BW or 225BW right now, especially since the new models are scheduled to hit the market in February. If you're aching for a 22" panel I think it would be wise to wait and see how these new panels perform and whether or not other manufacturers move their own 20" & 22" lines to these new TN panels. Improved contrast settings aside I'm hoping the backlight issues that plague the current TN lot are improved with these new panels.

From the press release: "With the 3000:1 super-high dynamic contrast ratio"...

Do you think that the dynamic contrast ratio will be that big a deal?

Dell is in its end of the quarter pricing mode and I got a quote this morning for $949. I went ahead and asked for a best price for 2 and he sent this, no shipping even :) That’s (35% off list) $933 each with shipping and no tax.

Date: 1/19/07 5:36:09 PM Customer Name: XXXX

TOTAL QUOTE AMOUNT: $1,866.00
Product Subtotal: $1,866.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Shipping Method: Ground Total Number of System Groups: 0

SOFTWARE & ACCESSORIES

Product Quantity Unit Price Total
Type 11 Contract - Advanced Exchange, Initial Year (982-1980) 2 $0.00 $0.00
Dell Hardware Warranty, Extended Year (985-9467) 2 $0.00 $0.00
Dell Hardware Warranty, Initial Year (985-9468) 2 $10.00 $20.00
Type 11 Contract - Advanced Exchange, 2 Year Extended (981-8612) 2 $25.00 $50.00
Dell 27 inch UltraSharp Widescreen Digital Flat Panel (222-7315) 2 $898.00 $1,796.00

Number of S & A Items: 5 S&A Total Amount: $1,866.00

Man...if that's the case, no sense go bigger for more lag.

While I believe that input lag does exist, there are a great number of people that use LCDs and don't notice any lag at all.

I wouldn't discount the monitor just because of the potential of lag.

I got a quote this morning for $949. I went ahead and asked for a best price for 2 and he sent this, no shipping even :) That’s (35% off list) $933 each with shipping and no tax.

$950 sounds about right for the 27". The current list price is rediculous. Congrats man! :)

Its still 1000:1, just like all S-PVA's have been. Nobody likes dynamic contrast, apparently. Everyone I've spoken with, and every review I've read, people agree - dynamic contrast sucks.

Zilch and nada in terms of any updates regarding either monitor.

I find it funny that when Samsung misses a release date the product slips into non-existence and then suddenly appears one day, as if out of nowhere.

It would have been better if Samsung would have just given no release date for the 275T, so I wouldn't be wondering what the heck it taking them so long to push it out the door.

Hey they announce the rel. date of 305T on OCt 18, 2006. What good does that do? You see any 305T anywhere?

Hey they announce the rel. date of 305T on OCt 18, 2006. What good does that do? You see any 305T anywhere?

The reason for the delay with the 305T is that Samsung changed the panel that they were going to use in the monitor before it was released to the public. Production of the new panel only started this quarter, which is why you can't find the 305T yet.

I was told yesterday while out shopping that BB and Future Shop do not carry the T series,so buying eithier of them at those stores appears to be a non option,to bad as both places have generous return policies. :(

that's because the T series is the real deal and costs more, so fly by night like Best Buy won't stock them. They only stock fast moving low to mid end stuff. You need a real dealer to get you the T series.

The reason for the delay with the 305T is that Samsung changed the panel that they were going to use in the monitor before it was released to the public. Production of the new panel only started this quarter, which is why you can't find the 305T yet.

where is your source? a link perhaps?

where is your source? a link perhaps?

Sorry for not providing a link in the previous post. Here is the new panel vs the old panel:

LTM300M1 (New)

LTM300M1 (Old)

As you can see, production on the new panel only started in Q1 '07. The previous panel had 400 cd/m2 brightness, 72% color coverage (92% is also listed, so they much have changed mid-production) and 900:1 contrast ratio.

Samsung didn't bother to change the panel model name when they made the changes to the panel, so I linked to an archived version of the page for the older model. Given that the older panel had been in production for so long (Q2 '06) I am surprised that Samsung never released the 305T with that panel. I guess only they know why.

The Samsung LTM270M1 hasn't had any changes like the LTM300M1, so I hope the 275T doesn't have as significant of a delay as the 305T. If it does, I may have to shop for another widescreen monitor.

No, it's suppose to use the same S-PVA panel. I am not sure when this monitor is going to be released. I tried contacting them but their CS dept has no clue either. It appears that the 245T (which is suppose to be released this month) has dropped out of radar. Honestly, I wouldn't wait for it if you cannot get Samsung CS dept. to even tell you what's going on.

Back