Samsung vs LG panel?

lrtrees

n00b
I hope that this is a reasonable question.
I have been reading as many threads and reviews I can find concerning this. I am interested in the Samsung 225 or 226 and the Lg 226 22" LCD's. As I have read, the panels used in these are TN panels. In the 1st generation of these panels, if I understand, the panels were all the same manufacture. Sorry, I forget the name. But now the word seems to be that the new Samsung 226BW will be using Samsung panel while the Lg 226WT will use a Lg-Phillips panel. I guess my question is this. Is there any info out there that might suggest one of these panels being any better than the other?
And I am also curious if the panels used in the Lg WT and WA are really any different or if they are just being marketed differently?

Thanks for your wisdom,
Lon

Is this just really a n00bie question or is this information really not known?

Thanks,
Lon

I guess my question is this. Is there any info out there that might suggest one of these panels being any better than the other?

That is the $64 question (actually, it's the $20+tax question since that's the current price difference between the two).

I am interested in both monitors, too, but so far there is little direct comparison. The backlight photo I saw of the 226BW was very impressive...virtually no backlight leakage at all. Owners of the LG seem to think that backlight leakage is OK, but don't sound as impressed as the one 226BW owner who took the pictures. But again, no direct comparison, so it's difficult.

I will look at the LG tonight at Best Buy. Probably won't make it to Circuit City to see the Samsung, though, for a few days.

Mofongo

Today I went to BB to see it. Frankly, I wasn't very impressed. Though the stand is fairly sturdy, the fact that it's not height ajustable is a minus. You'll have the monitor always raised 4 inches off the table. Image is not discernable form the better monitors displayed. Colors had no discernable contours and the images weren't clear. You coldn't see any black images (well, why would they put on such images, they'd show the degree of bleeding). HOWEVER: non of the monitors were really calibrated (not even the non TN panels) and all of them were connected to the same VGS source exhibiting series of static pictures which makes presentation totally irrelevant. True enough, 85% of the public couldn't tell the difference betwen calibrated and non calibrated displays, but still, I'd hold management responsible for a better presentation of monitors. I left very disappointed.

Back