Samsung XL2370 don't get into energy saving mode after pc shutdown

xiang729

n00b
Dear all:

I got my Samsung XL2370 few weeks ago but meet a problem.
My graphic card is MSI GeForce 9600 GT 1G (native hdmi interface).
So the monitor is connecting to this card through HDMI directly.

The situation is XL2370 keeps on searching for the signal when I shutdown the PC for a long time until I switch off the monitor manually.
If don’t switch off it manually, then it will keep in check signal mode, and backlight is keeping light on too.
The situation at least keep several hours and I don’t have time to test how long it will shuts off into energy-saving mode automatically.

I think the monitor is not breakdown, just cause by its ability of signal detecting function when connecting to the graphic card through hdmi.
It’s no problem when the monitor connects to another device through its DVI port.
And also no problem when the monitor is connects to PS3 through HDMI.
Just have the problem with it connects to the PC through HDMI.

Does anyone meet same problem?

I just want to know how to solve it.

Thanks!

=====================================

I found a way to prevent it after several months.
I bought a kind of power box, then plug in the PC and the XL230 monitor to this power box.
This power boxes has multiple power sockets and has special function.
The PC connect to the main power socket and XL2370 connect to another one of this box.

After PC shutdown, this box will auto detect the main socket's power is off, then also cut off another socket's power by itself.

From this way, I can power off the XL2370 with the PC same time, and don't need to turn XL2370 off manually.

Below are the pictures of this power box:

st-1216824-s200.jpg

JY004-400.jpg

Last edited:
I send the mail to sunsamg’s client service, and then I got this answer mail:

Dear Samsung Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

We would like to inform you that, when you connect the monitor through HDMI the monitor keeps on searching for the signal when you shutdown the PC.

The reason is when you switch off any device connected through HDMI to the monitor, the monitor treats as if
the device is disconnected. It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually.

To isolate the issue please check connecting the monitor through VGA.

We believe the above steps should resolve the issue. Please get back to us if you need further assistance.

So, they said "It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually."
Does anyone agree it?

My does the same thing. No this should not be normal. I shouldn't have to turn the monitor off everytime I walk away from it. I guess I will be returning it and getting the new nec.

So, they said "It is a normal thing and you need to switch off the monitor manually."
Does anyone agree it?

In their email, they meant "normal" as in all the XL2370 are designed to behave like that.
Which can be different from today's "normal" design where the monitor goes to power saving mode.

Personally I have an habit of turning off my monitor manually to save power, so...

In their email, they meant "normal" as in all the XL2370 are designed to behave like that.
Which can be different from today's "normal" design where the monitor goes to power saving mode.

Personally I have an habit of turning off my monitor manually to save power, so...

Of course, I know the meaning they said and why they said it is normal.
But it is depending on how you think it.

Do you think let backlights of monitor to keep lighting on for several hours even user has already shut down the pc is reasonable?

I don’t thinks so.

Last edited:
Well...in your original post, you asked if other people agree.
Why even ask if you already made up your mind.

I didn't say I think it's reasonable to leave the monitor on for several hours.
But why would a user leave it on, when he can as easily turn off the monitor after he shuts down the computer. Samsung designed it so people would get into a habit of turning the monitor off at the same time. To me it is just like another design features people like or dislike. I totally agree with you, that it's an odd design from Samsung. Anyways, I don't think turn it off manually is that big a deal, but if you hate it so much, just get another product if you don't like this design.

Last edited:
Well...in your original post, you asked if other people agree.
Why even ask if you already made up your mind.

I didn't say I think it's reasonable to leave the monitor on for several hours.
But why would a user leave it on, when he can as easily turn off the monitor after he shuts down the computer. Samsung designed it so people would get into a habit of turning the monitor off at the same time. To me it is just like another design features people like or dislike. I totally agree with you, that it's an odd design from Samsung. Anyways, I don't think turn it off manually is that big a deal, but if you hate it so much, just get another product if you don't like this design.
I just mean this odd design is very inconvenient to me.
If you say it is not problem to you to turn off the monitor manually every time, it is not the problem.

Last edited:
Is it really that difficult to turn the monitor off though? My monitor goes into power-saving mode with my DVI connection, but I turn it off anyway so it's consuming 0w

I'm with p4gs its a good habit. While I understand that it is a 'feature' that should work, and is obviously flawed, turning your monitor OFF is the better solution.

Is it really that difficult to turn the monitor off though? My monitor goes into power-saving mode with my DVI connection, but I turn it off anyway so it's consuming 0w

It‘s easy for me to power monitor off manually every time.
But my post is aim at whether someone who has had find the way to prevent it such as use different graphic card or connect way except turn it off manually.

Last edited:
The solution for Samsung XL2370 check signal cable problem is:

Set MENU -> SETUP&RESET -> Auto Source from Auto to Manual and set your connection type (Analog for traditional (15-pin D-Sub, blue), Digital for DVI (white), or HDMI for HDMI cable) with the left arrow button (next to AUTO button at the POWER button/LED, lower right).

From now on, the monitor will not give the "check signal cable" error message and will be black, in Power Saving mode, and the white Power LED at the lower right corner will be blinking after you shut down the PC.
------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------
In Hungarian (sorry, guys not speaking the language, but not all of us speak English):

Samsung XL2370 monitor "jelkábel ellenőrzése" hiba esetén a következőket kell tenned:

Állítsd a MENU -> BE- ÉS VISSZAÁLL -> Automat. forrás beállítást Automatikus állásból Kézi állásba, majd állítsd be a használt csatlakozótípust - a hagyományos (15 tüskés D-Sub, kék) csatlakozó használat esetén Analóg, a DVI (fehér) csatlakozó esetén Digitális, HDMI esetén HDMI.

Innentől nem fog Jelkábel ellenőrzése hibát adni a monitor, a számítógép kikapcsolásakor energiatakarékor üzemmódba áll és teljesen elsötétül, a jobb alsó sarkában pedig villog a fehér bekapcsológomb/LED.

(So it is not a graphic card or any other hardware problem, pure setting thing.)

It's just a bad design decision with the AUTO setting, and something they slightly overlooked. Great tip about manual setting. It is unlikely you will change you connection method often anyway, so this is definitely a good solution and far better than having to shut the monitor on and off every time. I have a PX2370 which is very similar and I am very happy with the monitor overall. Though build quality could be better.

Back