SanDisk 1GB USB thumb drive $50.96 AR

Alright, I got the chance to test on against a couple other drives today. It took 5 minutes to copy 330 megs of various files onto the 1 gig key. An SMI key copied the same amount of data in 2 minutes...

After checking hdtach and finding an 18 ms rand access time, I let out a little cry. My Lexar Jumpdrive Sport key has a 1.2 ms rand access time and only took 30 seconds or so to fill it...

if dell continues pushing these back, wont they have to push back the rebate deadline aswell?

Jodiuh said:
Alright, I got the chance to test on against a couple other drives today. It took 5 minutes to copy 330 megs of various files onto the 1 gig key. An SMI key copied the same amount of data in 2 minutes...

After checking hdtach and finding an 18 ms rand access time, I let out a little cry. My Lexar Jumpdrive Sport key has a 1.2 ms rand access time and only took 30 seconds or so to fill it...
That's why I love my Cruzer Titanium. :)

corrosive23 said:
Mine just got pushed back to 11/23/04. Fuck that.
Now they have given me untill monday to call them and say its okay to FURTHER DELAY my order. Fuck dell.

G[H]etto|Dalai|Lama said:
received mine yesterday

I'm going to go by the post office today or tomorrow to get the rebate sent off.

Would you mind runnin' it through the a few cut 'n' paste sessions for us?

Mine got pushed back to 11/12... This company's starting to piss me off.

Mine was initially pushed back to the 5th, but shipped out on the 4th, should be here wednesday.

Got mine yesterday. Immediately transfered a 733 meg file to it in just over a couple minutes, and it took about 70 seconds to copy it from the SanDisk back to my home comuter. Nice upgrade from my 256 meg Kingston 1.1 drive. :D

Hope the rest of you guys get yours soon!

Ax

Axdrenalin said:
Got mine yesterday. Immediately transfered a 733 meg file to it in just over a couple minutes, and it took about 70 seconds to copy it from the SanDisk back to my home comuter. Nice upgrade from my 256 meg Kingston 1.1 drive. :D

Hope the rest of you guys get yours soon!

Ax
Would you mind transferring a folder that has more than 1 file? My key was able to copy single folders relatively quickly, but copying the i386 folder from the windows cd would take 20+ minutes....

Jodiuh said:
Would you mind transferring a folder that has more than 1 file? My key was able to copy single folders relatively quickly, but copying the i386 folder from the windows cd would take 20+ minutes....

I copied the I386 from my XP SP2 machine at work, and it took a while. Total stats were:

C:\I386
423 Megs
6279 Files
25 Folders

Total time to copy the I386 folder *to* the 1 gig USB was 37 minutes.
Total TIme to *delete* the I386 from the USB was 8 minutes.

I then compressed the I386 folder into a .zip file using WinRAR using normal compression, and transfered it back to the USB drive. The total time to xfer the 407 meg .zip file to teh USB drive was 1 minute 45 seconds. Time to delete that one from the USB drive - 2 seconds. :D

Seems like if you're wanting to xfer a large folder with a lot of files in it, then compession is by far the way to go!

Ax

I guess the file system is not very efficient in creating multiple directories and handling lots of files, in terms of read/write.

Still, its convenient for what it is, and much more rugged than CDs.

Company just got all 7 today :D

Guess I better start loading it up with tools, diag programs, musi--er, more tools... :D

Dell doesnt know its head from its ass. They sent me another email saying my order was delayed, I called to cancel it, and the guy said it had shipped on friday and gave me a DHL tracking number. :rolleyes:

Axdrenalin said:
I then compressed the I386 folder into a .zip file using WinRAR using normal compression,

How long did the compression take? If it wasn't that long, you're gonna make my day ;-)

I copied the I386 off of a new sp2 install in about 15 minutes, but that's still lengthy. I'm thinking access time becomes a much bigger factor when you've got more files to copy. Below is an ss of the mini vs titanium using free HDtach's long bench. Notice the much slower random access times from the mini as compared to the titanium. The sustained read speeds are more than double on the titanium...not to mention the straighter line, haha! Now I have to decide which to keep...

usbdrive.jpg

New times...

HD to key
sp2.exe
266mb

Mini - 1:09.59
Tit - :22.00

The tit is nice 'n' fast, but estimating from this it would take less than a minute to fill it up with a couple big files and maybe a few small ones. The mini may take 5 minutes or so, but it does TWICE the byte! Maybe I should hang onto both... :D

Jodiuh said:
The tit is nice 'n' fast, but estimating from this it would take less than a minute to fill it up with a couple big files and maybe a few small ones. The mini may take 5 minutes or so, but it does TWICE the byte! Maybe I should hang onto both... :D
Told ya it was fast. :) So does this mean you got your Titanium working again, or did you RMA it for another?

Malatov said:
Told ya it was fast. :) So does this mean you got your Titanium working again, or did you RMA it for another?

Rma...and this picture pretty much sums up what I'm gonna do, hehe. A 1gig tit would hook it up in under a minute and a half!!! Not to mention that sexy blue led :p

minivstit.jpg

Jodiuh said:
How long did the compression take? If it wasn't that long, you're gonna make my day ;-)

It only took about 2 minutes total to compress that same I386 folder I originally copied. :)

Ax

We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to ship your order sooner,
we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order and will not be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before 11-19-2004.

Please be aware that due to Federal Trade Commission rules, we must have your consent to continue with the order despite the delay. If you do not contact us by 7:00pm Central Standard Time on 11-12-2004, your order will automatically be cancelled.

Please inform us of your decision to consent or cancel your order by emailing the Dell Notification team at [email protected] or by calling us at 1-877-868-3355.

Please include your customer number or order number with any correspondence.
We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause you.

Today I got the same email a couple other people got saying that they needed my authorization so that they could keep my order on backorder for some more time. I of course replied that they could keep me on the list and their reply was that the "System had shipped." So, went to my Dell account and saw that it had finally shipped! Shipped off today and will be arriving at my home on the 16th. Wooo! Good luck to everyone else for getting theirs, I hope Dell pulls through for you too :)

Malatov said:
Well, my 256MB Cruzer Mini does have a write-protect switch. As do those of my co-workers who have the same one.

That's weird, that some would have it and some not... :confused:
That's because that's the original version of the Cruzer Mini. It was pretty thick and has the switch on it. Mine failed on me after a few months and Sandisk swapped it with a brand new one (both were 256mb) and the new one was half as thick but also didn't have the lock switch. I'll take the smaller size for no lock switch.

I have the Cruzer Mini (current slim no-switch design) in 256mb and the Cruzer Titanium (512) mb which I got on sale... but for $50 I'd pick up the 1gig if the price were still valid. :(

Just for those that keep getting delayed. I got a call yesterday morning saying the order would be further delayed and to keep the order open email or call them. Then last night at 11:47 PM I got an email saying it was shipped.

LK

Just got mine the other day, pretty happy with it (this is my first USB drive). I've been using it to copy Iron Chef episodes from my home PC and bring them to work to watch (because work is boring). It's decent fast, not as fast as I expected but hey, it cost $50.

L3on said:
Just got mine the other day, pretty happy with it (this is my first USB drive). I've been using it to copy Iron Chef episodes from my home PC and bring them to work to watch (because work is boring). It's decent fast, not as fast as I expected but hey, it cost $50.
They're reasonably fast, not the fastest but also not the most expensive.

So true...I'm having a hard time deciding between the Mini and the Titanium...

Jodiuh said:
So true...I'm having a hard time deciding between the Mini and the Titanium...
I've got the Mini 256, had it for over a year, got the Titanium last month and will probably get the Mini 1gig soon because i need one that size for some things.

LittleKing said:
Just for those that keep getting delayed. I got a call yesterday morning saying the order would be further delayed and to keep the order open email or call them. Then last night at 11:47 PM I got an email saying it was shipped.

This exact thing happened to another bud of mine. He got the call, and he told them he wanted to stay on the list (i.e. do not cancel). He got a shipment notification that night, and had it in his hand two days later.

Ax

Just got mine in the mail at 5:15 PM pacific time here in Portland, and I'm liking it so far.

Transfering a 716 mb XviD movie...

about 2.9 mb/sec write speed
but about 11.0 mb/sec read speed.

And an awesome deal. Good luck for the rest of you.

Back