Sandy Bridge CPU Up by $20

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Has anyone noticed that Micro Center now charges $20 more for Intel 2nd Gen. CPU? Didn't notice it until yesterday. So that those that keep waiting for P67 boards to be ready before buying a SB CPU may have to pay a little more for it now. Means I have to hang on to both of mine even though one doesn't have a mobo to run it. All good things must come to an end...but I surely hope MC will lower the prices again once P67 boards are in full swing.

It used to be $200 after CA tax. Still currently a better price than other places though. I'm hoping they bring back the combo deals once the boards are back out.

2500k is still $200 while Newegg wants $230.

However, they had some excellent combo discounts w/popular ASUS/MSI motherboards a few weeks ago... And if you live outside of CA you have to take tax into account (MC - yes, Newegg - no). I'd check those combo discounts if MC's price hike is turning ya off.

For me, in Puerto Rico, even with shipping charges, the Newegg combo for a 2500K and an MSI P67A-GD55 was cheaper than Microcenter's pricing, even though the 2500K itself was like $45 more expensive. The combo discount was like $35 and the mobo was like $10 cheaper at Newegg after MIR (MC's price also involved a rebate), once you factored tax in Newegg came out way ahead. Plus I got Assassin's Creed 2 for free as part of it...

Still haven't gotten around to building the system tho, parts have been sitting in my room for like two weeks now... Sigh. Hopefully tomorrow I get a chance to make the mobo tray HSF backplate cutout that I want to do on my case so I can get it rolling.

I'm guessing they may drop back to the lower price when they have motherboards. I believe these were under cost with the hope that you would buy other equipment on your visit. Without motherboards, it tends to be a little pointless.

betting the price will drop everywhere once the new motherboards start to ship , just from the simple fact of the overstock backlog of sandybridge cpu's intel has made in the time between the recall.

They're probably raising the price now, so that when the motherboards are out again and everyone is ready to buy, they can drop the price and claim "look, we're doing a sale, it's 10% off, hurry!!!"

However, they had some excellent combo discounts w/popular ASUS/MSI motherboards a few weeks ago... And if you live outside of CA you have to take tax into account (MC - yes, Newegg - no). I'd check those combo discounts if MC's price hike is turning ya off.

And if you bought an Intel motherboard, they had combos that took $20 off AND gave you a free Steam copy of Civ 5! You bet you ass I bit on that one - Intel P67 motherboards do basic overclocking just as well as anyone else, and the 3-year warranty is very competitive.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worried about it. I bet when the mobos come back you'll find crazy good prices, even better than before. Hopefully with less crappy mobos as well :)

There are rumors of first shipments of fixed boards to MC in mid march, April as Intel said for real stock.

There are rumors of first shipments of fixed boards to MC in mid march, April as Intel said for real stock.

I will be the first person in line to get my P67 Pro exchanged. Just hope the new board OCs better than my current one, which stucks at 50x (51x max unstable).

I am running NO comp right now, doubt I can wait till April. Will probably buy a netbook to pass time.

Stretch the budget a bit and get a Brazos-based netbook like the dm1z... Well worth it, and I say that even though I've been quite satisfied with my Atom netbook (+SSD) over the last two years. Brazo's a rather large jump in performance for not a whole lot more money. I'm hoping it lights a fire under Intel's butt, it's about time they put they replace the current Atom architecture w/something more competitive. If they don't I may just replace mine w/something similar before the end of the year.

Last edited:

You should see the first of the Intel® P67 and H67 boards at the reseller by Mid-March. Other board maker’s boards should be appearing around the same time.

Back