Sandy Bridge DRM anyone else annoyed with this?

I don't think DRM its worth a dam for stopping piracy (Piracy itself is another debate), but I am not sure I appreciate Intel "attempting" to dictate what I do with my PC.

I am Intel's customer, there bread and butter, it feels somewhat insulting they have taken a kick back to include DRM, kind of feels like spyware built into there hardware.

If AMD get even close with Bulldozer I personally would be prepared to take a small performance hit on principle.

I am guessing in a time of allowing corporations to do whatever they want, most consumers will not care, but be interesting to hear opinions.

Not relevant for P67 platforms.

6-series-chipset.png

Doesn't even exist on my CPU of choice, and I doubt it's any worse than HDCP or whatnot is anyway.... in other words, I couldn't care much less.

Wait wait wait

So they are making CPUs with "piracy checkers" now? And intel has one set that does not have it? WTF is that about? Finding out who wants the piracy chips, and flagging them? Lots of paranoia here, someone please chime in if you have actual knowledge with this....

Wait wait wait

So they are making CPUs with "piracy checkers" now? And intel has one set that does not have it? WTF is that about? Finding out who wants the piracy chips, and flagging them? Lots of paranoia here, someone please chime in if you have actual knowledge with this....

Yes, I hear they are sending the FBI to stake out everyones house that purchases one of the processors without that feature set.

Have no fear, I've already got a plan in place!

Last edited:
Yes, I hear they are sending the FBI to stake out everyones house that purchases one of the processors without that feature set.

Have no fear, I'm already got a plan in place!

hopefully its better than your sentence structure.
lol

So it is clueless refugee day!

OK, to make it simple: PAVP = protected audio/video path and is required to play back protected Blu Ray content as part of the specification. AMD, Intel, VIA and nvidia hardware all support it. You add a video card to the P67 system that can play BD, then you also have PAVP support, just not used from the integrated graphics.

It's nothing new, been here for years.

There is supposedly a different DRM for streaming movies (again, the content provider is the one using it, it's not converting non-DRM'd streams). There should be more details in a few days. It's unlikely that it's tied to one processor family, mostly because there's a huge installed base of non-SB processors that would have to be ignored as customers. Or maybe the whole concept was just sensationalized without merit. There are known optional features like binary signing, but that may or may not be related.

Last edited:
You do understand that AMD GPUs and AMD APUs (Fusion) also have video output DRM, right?

Is it clueless refugee day or something?

I think my original post made it clear I am not concerned about the effectiveness of DRM with the platforms just the principle of it. No I didn't realise AMD are going down the same path with Fusion, that's so much better :rolleyes:

My concern is, if Intel (and AMD apparently) bends over like this what's stopping Nvidia and AMD incorporating similar technology in discrete graphics later down the track if they are getting away with it and can make money from doing so?

I agree with you 100% on this, but the fact is that we already lost this battle. Every single hardware component in a bluray system must support DRM (this includes decoder, monitor, and everything between them) or you will not be able to play the bluray at full resolution.

In other words, you're bitching about something that isn't even going to affect you and that has been around in one form or another for several years already. And you're going to spite this DRM (which won't affect you and has been around in one form or another for many years) by putting together an inferior system. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I am not worried about this a bit. If you're playing Blu-ray on your HTPC, it checks for DRM. Not my cup of tea anyway.

OK, Ars made a brief mention about what this hysteria is about. No, it's not a "deal" with content providers or caving in to anyone. It's actually something Intel is offering as a proposal for streaming movies called "Intel Insider." SB has a hardware encryption engine that is supposedly very hard (or "impossible") to crack. Intel is proposing "Intel Insider" as a way to securely stream movies over the intertubez as one of the possible applications. Just to repeat, it is not a service. It's a concept, a proposal.

Ars had the same reservations as I mentioned above. If it's only limited to SB, it's not a very attractive service since it will ignore 90%+ of users for a long time. I don't see it going anywhere unless it's adopted by other manufacturers.

Seriously, was it that hard to accurately summarize? I did it in a couple of minutes and I'm not even a "journalist" like the crack babies at theinq.

I think my original post made it clear I am not concerned about the effectiveness of DRM with the platforms just the principle of it. No I didn't realise AMD are going down the same path with Fusion, that's so much better :rolleyes:

My concern is, if Intel (and AMD apparently) bends over like this what's stopping Nvidia and AMD incorporating similar technology in discrete graphics later down the track if they are getting away with it and can make money from doing so?

NVidia and AMD already incorporate DRM into their GPUs.

Clueless refugee day, indeed.

Ya, you guys [complaining] never heard of HDCP or something? Anyways, same concept, don't want DRM, don't purchase and use protected media, it won't scan your system and flag your Pink Floyd MP3s or anything...

Just use AnyDVD HD

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

Its worth it just so you don't have to watch the 600 adverts.

HDCP is a crap shoot regardless, completely circumvented 100x over and its just so the bigwigs think they have something attempting to protect their IP

I am not worried about this a bit. If you're playing Blu-ray on your HTPC, it checks for DRM. Not my cup of tea anyway.

I wouldn't call it bitching, mildly concerned maybe. Its part of a bigger picture, Corporations putting pressure on governments for internet filters etc. I see it as dipping there toe in the water, see if anyone gets upset to see what they can get away with in the future.

I can see it now............"We have been using DRM for years what's the big deal" as they start to deploy it into discreet graphic solutions.

Seems modern sociality is carefree about giving up freedoms in the last 10 years, I guess history really does repeat itself

You're so right. How dare they infringe on our freedom to steal copyrighted content. :rolleyes:

Without that you will not be able to use commercial Bluray player software at full resolution and/or sound quality. Not that it matters anyway.

you (the OP that is) might want to go back to a hand held caclulator from 1973........seriously

imagine of pc games where in blu ray disks. could that reduce piracy?

Not for long. To my knowledge there is no safe DRM scheme in use anywhere. Just think about how long CSS or AACS actually worked. The app DRM system of Windows Phone 7 was circumvented in a few hours by a single hacker.

CHIPMAKER Intel has cut a deal with Hollywood in its Sandy Bridge chips to put digital restrictions management (DRM) in them.
Intel's sellout to the big media companies makes it 'safer' for Hollywood studios to offer premium movies to consumers on locked-down personal computers. No doubt the media content cartels and Intel are dreaming monopolistic visions of extracting big rents to stream everything online.
According to Reuters, Time Warner's digital distribution unit and other studios plan to offer high-definition movies to consumers who have PCs with Intel Sandy Bridge chips inside, simultaneous with releasing them on DVD.
Apparently the media cartels are dead keen to get their content on PCs that are locked-down even to the level of the chip.
Mooly Eden, Intel's VP and general manager of the PC client group said that Intel's embedded DRM allows content to be streamed to computers with Sandy Bridge chips and that Chipzilla is making deals with all the studios and content distributors to make it available.
So while punters will get saddled with DRM on their computers, Intel thinks that it can suck them in and buy them off with improved multimedia processing.
Intel's Sandy Bridge chip designs combine central processing and graphics functions on the same piece of silicon, making them faster, more energy efficient, and likely more profitable.
But Chipzilla is taking a big gamble. As with Intel's earlier, aborted scheme to put a serial number in every CPU chip, it is possible that consumers will refuse to buy the chips because of the DRM lock-down.
It is questionable whether Hollywood making available paid-for content through its toll-booth outlets will be seen as an advantage or a drawback, and will on balance attract the PC punters. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1934536/intels-sandy-bridge-sucks-hollywood-drm

I don't want any feature in my hardware, especially integral general purpose hardware like a CPU, that is not for my benefit. Hardware DRM built into the very core of your PC is yet another degree hotter while boiling the frog so to speak. There are always assurances that such things would never be used for nefarious purposes and whenever corporate money is involved, they're nearly always broken.

I don't want any feature in my hardware, especially integral general purpose hardware like a CPU, that is not for my benefit. Hardware DRM built into the very core of your PC is yet another degree hotter while boiling the frog so to speak. There are always assurances that such things would never be used for nefarious purposes and whenever corporate money is involved, they're nearly always broken.

So how do you feel about it being built into your graphics card? Since it already is, in the form of HDCP?

Back