Sandy Bridge MBA versus C2D

General everyday computing. The presence of an SSD helps a lot but it seems to struggle with handling rich, JS-heavy sites and other apps.

Faster CPU performance should help in those areas, which SB will definitely bring

Will a sandy bridge MB air combined with a nice thunderbolt external raid array be a good candidate for Final Cut X HD video editing you think?

I recently upgraded from a Core2Duo 13"MBP to a 15"MBP SandyBridge both have the same SSD (Intel 510 120gb i got 2 month ago), both were clean fresh installs. I could tell the difference working performance-wise. I think the new MBP may also have faster SATA port for the SSD too.

Both systems have 8gb ram too.

I see NO PROBLEM with the C2D in a laptop if that's how you use it... as a laptop.
I use mine as a desktop since the Mac Pro cost so much, and i`m staying away from an integrated desktop (imac).

I will be buying a MBAir for my mobile device to use as an actual "Laptop" and I would have no problem with the C2D but if I had one for over a year and the new i7 MBA was coming out I'd probably sell it and get the new SandyBridge MBA.

I personally wouldn't use any laptop for video editing or any task that could keep CPU at high utilization for long periods of time. When I was breaking in my MBP running stress tests it was constantly 90-95*C - doing that all the time I would imagine would greatly lesson the life of the device. The laptops are so crammed they just don't dissipate heat well enough to utilize the CPU so high all the time. That's my 02 - a lot of people probably do it without issues - but they may be sellen after 1-1.5 years too ;)

Hmm so tempted to think about it. Bought an ultimate 13" MBA back in March and it's not slow by any means but I didn't want to wait till refresh at the time of purchase. It's my only computer as I went back from desktop to laptop because I only use it for web browsing, watching TV shows, listening to music, and downloading. It did slow down to a crawl when I was transferring a lot of stuff over as I had to migrate from Windows to OSX which was vexing because I couldn't do anything else while it was transferring and dang fan gets so loud whenever anything flash based is open. I like the portability, speed, and small form factor but I do miss having everything in one computer (all music, TV shows, etc are on an external hard drive) which has made me have thoughts of building a desktop again haha. However, I don't want to have a laptop and a desktop as I prefer to have just one computer. Best compromise might be a 13" MBP with SSD as primary, and HDD in optical, haha decisions decisions.

Back