SAS 2.5" Setup not working with RAID Card

Luzer

Weaksauce
The short story is that I got a 3Ware 9650SE-4LPM RAID card (thanks kubebot) connected through an Adaptec 2231700-R mini SAS x4 (SFF-8087) to x4 (SFF-8484) cable to a SuperMicro CSE-M14T-B with 3 SAS 2.5 SAS drives. One of the 2.5 inch SAS drives is a MBD2300RC another is a HUC103030CSS600 and the last one is a ST9300603SS(if this helps). I removed them off of the IBM tray (these drives were for an IBM server but never got used – lucky me :)), attached them to the SuperMicro trays and put them in the rack. The first time I turn the computer on I hear a continuous beep and the red fan fault lite on. I checked the manual to disable the fan and plugged the rack back in to the power and SAS cable. I didn’t notice if this happened the first time but when the computer turns on the rack only shows drive 0 with activity (green lite) for one second. I’ve email SuperMicro this morning but they haven’t responded to me yet (it’s the 4th/weekend - I understand). Let me know of any of you have any suggestions to help me get past this.

Things I’ve tried:
1. Plugging the rack in to a different PSU. I tried a 300w 350w and a 500w and get the same drive 0 green led.
2. Switching the hard drives to a different spot and even one hard drive in every other spot.
3. Booting into the RAID card and scanning for the drives.
4. Clearing the buzzer reset.
Things I know/tried:
1. I plugged the 3ware RAID card into a Dell desktop and copied some files to two SATA hard drive though the card using the included cable.
2. I have the 3ware Raid card plugged in to a P5Q Turbo and able to get into the 3ware BIOS.
3. I got the rack and the cable form newegg and the raid card from kubebot(not implying that this has anything to do with a faulty card).
4. The drives are made for an IBM server. Is there some proprietary command/connection that an IBM server does to find/wake the drives?
5. I don’t have another server to test the SAS drives otherwise I would.
Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately just because a controller uses multilane SAS ports, doesn't mean it's a SAS controller.

There it is on the manual.
• With the 9650SE models:
• Choice of 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, or 24 SATA ports
• PCI Express® x1, x4 and x8
I ended up RMAing the rack and I'll start looking for a SAS RAID controller.

Thanks for the help.

SuperMicro said that it is power issue but I still think that the rack is defective. I'll order the same rack in a few weeks once I find a card. Anyone have oponions on the HighPoint RocketRAID 4310. Is there a card that does x8 4 port and SAS for about $200?

I am confused on how you figured out that the rack does not work without a SAS card since the raid card you have is not SAS.

On page 14 of the manual (found it on lsi's website) it says that with the 9650SE models have a chonice of "2, 4, 8, 12, 16, or 24 SATA ports" and "PCI Express x1, x4 and x8" but nothing about SAS. The 9690SA says "ability to have SAS and/or SATA drives on the same controller".

Back