SAS or SATAII for Database? - Help Decide

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I'm gonna be buying a Dell Poweredge 2950III server soon for a database and i'm wondering if I should go with SAS or SATAII? I need about 400-500GB space.
5 users. Will also be doing file sharing as well on the server.

Which would be a better solution as far as cost/performance?

- AMD_RULES

you should be fine with sata drives. sas has a more robust connector, better expandability and better power delivery but the rest of the features may not be utilized in a small setup like you described.

sata will provide a better storage/cost ratio.

I would go with sata, cheaper to upgrade etc. Will be fine for 5 users.

ok, sounds good.

I just got one more question. Should I go with RAID 5 or RAID 10?

RAID 10 - 250GBX4

or

RAID 5 - 250X4

I'm leaning towards that RAID 10 setup...

Probable just becuase its an option that is better and faster and more expensive lol.

Not worth it for 5 users, especially if your going to be running raid 10. What are you storing in this database?

SATA should be fine really, will you be pulling lots of 2500x1200 images out of there?

Sounds good. I'm gonna go with 250GBx4 RAID 10 then, unless secure.boy can prove to me that SAS and RAID 6 are worth it. I really don't see any benefits of SAS for my small setup...

benefits? 250GBx4 RAID 6 = How much space?

the benefits are
when you go with sas that is business class hdd storarge
all high end server are know with sas controllers/hdd

what ever you put on that database you must have a good backup raid 6
also for future use / upgrade sas will be nice solution

http://www.icc-usa.com/store/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=7

but don;t go with sata they are replacing only IDE/ata drives not scsi

SATA should be fine really, will you be pulling lots of 2500x1200 images out of there?
edit: I will be pulling large size images out of the database, but probably only from one pc at a time.
the benefits are
when you go with sas that is business class hdd storarge
all high end server are know with sas controllers/hdd

what ever you put on that database you must have a good backup raid 6
also for future use / upgrade sas will be nice solution
Big difference between RAID 6 and RAID 10?
500GB should be plenty of space. The recommened space is 72GB for the database, so i'm setting aside around 300GBs for photos.

I plan to use a backup tape drive as well and a dedicated disk-to-disk server

Just go with the sata, you will only see a noticable diffrence from SAS when you are accessing the server with lots of clients.

edit: I will be pulling large size images out of the database, but probably only from one pc at a time.

Big difference between RAID 6 and RAID 10?
500GB should be plenty of space. The recommened space is 72GB for the database, so i'm setting aside around 300GBs for photos.

I plan to use a backup tape drive as well and a dedicated disk-to-disk server

put 4 x 300 gb sas hdd
and you will have better performance for indexes etc....
also better access for r/w
3-4 times faster than sata
with raid 6 u will have 1+ drives to fail and still works go on

STORAGE NEVER GOES DOWN 24/7/365up

don't put sata on business also go with enterprise class hardware
if you invest now you will have that for future

SATA is being accepted into the enterprise enviroment now. All the dell powervaults come with a SATA option now.

Yes, amd_rules doesnt need anything more then that for a 6 client database!

Yes but he is running a raid array, if he is buying an OEM solution with onsite warrenty and a tape drive what can go wrong realisticly.

How will he loose data if he has a redundant array setup and everything backed up on tape.

Yes, but if he makes 2 tape copies and keeps one offsite, how will SAS help this?

have ever worked on mission critical environment ????

I dont think you quite understand here, the OP is setting up a server for a small dental office. He is using a raid 10 array to store his data on and is backing up data to tape every so often. For such a small enviroment SATA will be fine, and the sata drives sold with these OEM arrays most likely have onsite warrenty, so the disk can be replaced and the array rebuilt in a matter of hours.

I dont think you quite understand here, the OP is setting up a server for a small dental office. He is using a raid 10 array to store his data on and is backing up data to tape every so often. For such a small enviroment SATA will be fine, and the sata drives sold with these OEM arrays most likely have onsite warrenty, so the disk can be replaced and the array rebuilt in a matter of hours.

they sell such "raid sata arrays only to run OS" nothing more

you also forgot that i'm backing up to another server ;)
i'm not gonna spend $7000 on a server for 300GBx4 RADID 10 SAS.

I'm looking to run probably two dual core xeons, 4 gigs of ram, and probably SATA2 hdds.

you also forgot that i'm backing up to another server ;)
i'm not gonna spend $7000 on a server for 300GBx4 RADID 10 SAS.

I'm looking to run probably two dual core xeons, 4 gigs of ram, and probably SATA2 hdds.

Exactly. Which oem are you going to go with?

Exactly. Which oem are you going to go with?

(if you read the first post ;) )

Probably Dell, i've looked at HP, but they're pretty expensive and I can get more from Dell. :D

Most likely a Poweredge 2950 III.

Just for the heck of it, i'll configure a SAS server with 300GBx4 raid 10 on the dell site and let you know how much it actually costs ;) (it's gonna be freakin expensive btw)

I really want to get a powervault with like 10 500gb drives, but i cant afford it :(

The 2950 III is a nice choice, but do you really need the rackmount?

well i configured a nice server with 300GB (10k) x 4 RAID 10 and it came to:
$5,409.14

PowerEdge 2950 III Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5310, 2x4MB Cache, 1.6GHz, 1066MHz FSB
Operating System Windows Server® 2003 R2, Standard x64 Edition with SP2,Includes 5 CALs
Additional Processor Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5310, 2x4MB Cache, 1.60GHz, 1066MHz FSB
Memory 4GB 667MHz (4x1GB), Dual Ranked DIMMs
TCP/IP Offload Engine Enablement Broadcom TCP/IP Offload Engine Enabled, Microsoft OS Only
Riser Card Riser with 3 PCIe Slots
Primary Hard Drive 300GB 10K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
Primary Controller PERC6i SAS RAID Controller, 2x4 Connectors, Int, PCIe, 256MB Cache, x6 Back
Floppy Drive No Floppy Drive for x6 Backplane
Mouse No Mouse Option
Network Adapter Dual Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC
CD/DVD Drive 24X IDE CD-RW/DVD ROM Drive
Bezel Rack Bezel
Backplane 1x6 Backplane for 3.5-inch Hard Drives
Operating System Addition 5-pack of Windows® Server 2003 User CALs (Standard or Enterprise)
Documentation Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
2nd Hard Drive 300GB 10K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
Hard Drive Configuration Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 10, PERC 6/i Integrated
Chassis Configuration Rack Chassis w/Sliding Rapid/Versa Rails and Cable Management Arm,Universal
Hardware Support Services 3Yr SILVER ENTERPRISE SUPPORT: 7x24 HW/SW, NBD Onsite
Installation Support Services No Installation Assessment
Power Supply Redundant Power Supply with Dual Cords
4th Hard Drive 300GB 10K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive
5th Hard Drive 300GB 10K RPM Serial-Attach SCSI 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive

Excluding the hdd setup, i know the cpus might be overkill, but extra juice will help :D

Edit: I gotta see how much this thing would cost with SATA. SAS might be worth it. But if it's an extra $2000, forget it ;)

Back