Sas. Scsi. Ssd.

AndreRio

[H]ard|Gawd
1. Are ssd's faster than older 15k rpm scsi drives?

2. what exactly is Sas?

1. short answer: yes.
2. its an interface to replace scsi thats backwards compatible with sata drives (although it works just like a sata interface when done so, no sas features)

The only way the fastest hard drives might possibly outperform an SSD is in sequential writes. In every other regard - especially access times - the SSDs are many times faster than a spinning disk hard drive can ever dream of being, and performance and capacity is increasing by leaps and bounds on SSDs.

Hard drive manufacturers have done an amazing job of making spinning disks reliable, but SSDs have no moving parts, which is an insurmountable advantage.

I don't know if I'd call consumer SSDs more reliable than 15k enterprise drives. True they have no moving parts, but they do have controllers that fail at random fairly frequently. If I had to choose a 15k Cheetah or an SSD for mission critical application, I'd still pick the Cheetah.

I don't know if I'd call consumer SSDs more reliable than 15k enterprise drives. True they have no moving parts, but they do have controllers that fail at random fairly frequently. If I had to choose a 15k Cheetah or an SSD for mission critical application, I'd still pick the Cheetah.

Quick google shows manufacturer MTBF's of 1.2-1.6 million hours for 15k scsi drives, 1.2 million hours for an intel 320 (and I expect intel will have numbers based on testing, not just plucked out of thin air).

That said if it's mission critical it's going to have some sort of hardware redundancy anyway, so the two will be equivalent. Except the SSD will be orders of magnitue faster at Random IO and IOPS. So I think the SSD is still probably the better choice (where the SSD is intel and not OCZ, etc.)

Most enterprise level storage still use spindle based storage due to cost, reliability, and storage space. For home use and workstations, SSD and one large storage drive all the way.

Most enterprise level storage still use spindle based storage due to cost, reliability, and storage space. For home use and workstations, SSD and one large storage drive all the way.

I believe there is some enterprise use of SSDs as an intermediate level (cache-like) on large storage systems?

I believe there is some enterprise use of SSDs as an intermediate level (cache-like) on large storage systems?
Correct. Also systems who support tiered storage use SSDs for database stores. SLC enterprise drives cost alot $$$$

Back