SATA 1.5 and SATA 3.0 on same board

Rembrandt

Gawd
I have one SATA 1.5 and three SATA 3.0 drives that are on my Asus A8N-E motherboard (nForce 4). They all show a test sustained speed of around 77 Mb with the older Raptor coming in at 70 Mb. Is my 1.5 Raptor drive limiting the speed of the three other drives to the SATA 1.5 level? I know that in my Computer Science classes, about 5 years ago, that it did limit them to the slowest speed or is this just true with PATA drives today?

No drive is limited by the SATA1.5Gb/s spec. I'm sure it's one of the reasons Raptors don't even have a 3.0 interface. 70MB/s average isn't bad at all for the drive if it's a GD model and each drive has no affect on another in performance. What are you using to confirm average speeds?

SATA Provides dedicated bandwidth to each drive, so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, I wouldn't worry about sata II being used on a sata I interface as the slow down is really negligible.

No drive is limited by the SATA1.5Gb/s spec. I'm sure it's one of the reasons Raptors don't even have a 3.0 interface. 70MB/s average isn't bad at all for the drive if it's a GD model and each drive has no affect on another in performance. What are you using to confirm average speeds?

It is actually, no single drive can saturate the SATA I specs, but a RAID array can, such as my RAID 5 made of 8x320GB drives. My 4x320GB test was a tad faster (about 10Mbps) in the write category. So my current array is at 160Mbps, which is slightly faster than SATA I specs, but then again, we are not talking about RAID here, only single drives. So I'll stop now.

Back