SATA 2.5" to 3.5" adapter?

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to unlock a Seagate Momentus notebook 2.5" drive.

http://hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/howto/

The program I am using to unlock the drive requires the drive to be hooked up directly to the motherboard, so enclosures will not work.

Does anyone know where I can find a 2.5" to 3.5" SATA adapter?

As far as i know, SATA is the same on 2.5" and 3.5", so you should be able to plug the cable in.

The adapter waldorf listed is for PATA, if thats what your drive actually is.

As far as i know, SATA is the same on 2.5" and 3.5", so you should be able to plug the cable in.

Yep, I do this at work all the time. The connector on a 2.5" drive and 3.5" drive are the same. If it's just for a temporary project, you can just leave the drive sitting on the floor of your case until you're done. Basically, the good news is that with SATA for laptop drives, the same connector is used for desktop drives, unlike PATA.

I recently purchased a 2.5" STA drive and plugged in a SATA cable meant for 3.5" drives. Yes, they're the same.

I'm trying to find an adapter to match this WD case.

Basically, the SATA connector location MUST be in the exact spot in order to fit into the hot swap drive bays.

anybody find a solution yet besides yanking these WD's out of the tray and using the tray?

wd.jpg

I'm trying to find an adapter to match this WD case.

Basically, the SATA connector location MUST be in the exact spot in order to fit into the hot swap drive bays.

anybody find a solution yet besides yanking these WD's out of the tray and using the tray?

What exactly are you trying to do? Both 3.5" and 2.5" drives have pretty standardized SATA and power connector locations, so that they'll fit properly into laptops, enclosures, docks, etc. Are you trying to fit the VR adapter into something, or are you trying to replace the VR drive in the adapter?

If you're trying to put the adapter into something, it should match up with a standard 3.5" drive. If you're trying to put a different drive in the adapter, it's possible that WD designed the VR drive and adapter to use non-standard spacing (to avoid having people use the drives without the adapter), but I can also see them choosing the standard 2.5" spacing to be able to use more standard parts.

just trying to place 2.5" SSD's in 3.5" hot swap bays. I just need to find an adapter that can place the drive similar to the picture.

I could just take the drive and connect it directly to the backplane, but it wont have any mounting support. it needs to mound into a 3.5" tray, with 3.5" drive screw holes.

just trying to place 2.5" SSD's in 3.5" hot swap bays. I just need to find an adapter that can place the drive similar to the picture.

I could just take the drive and connect it directly to the backplane, but it wont have any mounting support. it needs to mound into a 3.5" tray, with 3.5" drive screw holes.

These are very common with 2.5" SSDs getting popular. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=2.5+3.5+hdd+adapter Pay attention, as some of these results will be for laptop-desktop IDE adapters, while some will be for physical drive mounting adapters. http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD is a cheap kit that includes both. Depending on shipping and what's available elsewhere, it might end up being cheapest to get this and just not use the IDE adapters (or resell them to recoup some of your costs).

You have one of those that won't mate to anything standard.

It will hafta be removed from the HS to be used in a backplane.

The VRs throw very little heat.

Back